Brisk spark plugs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never even heard of them. Now I've tried some with multi ground electrodes. Never noticed any boost in performance but they did foul rather quickly in older motors.

I want to be open minded since our own multi spark technology is often criticized, but according to NGK only one spark occurs (even though video shown by Brisk appears to provide a shower). Even with their own NGK multi point sparkplugs they state that only one of the three or four points will spark during a coil discharge. I have also read opinions stating that NGK is wrong on this point.

Even if multi point sparkplugs can jump more than one gap at once, the arc still occurs at the same moment in time. A multiple sparking ignition (MSD, Ford, Pertronix, C5) provide sparks at various TIMES which attempt to ignite fuel as it redistributes in the combustion chamber. I believe this is comparing apples to oranges but need to research further.

Don't use N G K's in my bikes, as they are TOO temperature sensitive, expensive, & don't run well when it's colder than the recommend temp outside no matter how long you ride, they never seem to warm up to run right. They perform very well when it's warm, Autolite 4164's work well in ANY temp I have had the nerve to ride in, & less expensive. E3s work very well, but haven't ridden with them in the cold yet, as they're in one of my standards & try to take a faired bike if might turn cold. :wave:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140158#p140158:2vwm9jjs said:
Denver » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:12 am[/url]":2vwm9jjs]
Don't use N G K's in my bikes, as they are TOO temperature sensitive, expensive, & don't run well when it's colder than the recommend temp outside no matter how long you ride, they never seem to warm up to run right. They perform very well when it's warm, Autolite 4164's work well in ANY temp I have had the nerve to ride in, & less expensive. E3s work very well, but haven't ridden with them in the cold yet, as they're in one of my standards & try to take a faired bike if might turn cold. :wave:

We run snowmobiles and ice racing motorcycles from 35 F down to -40 F without issues. On my CR250R I use the same heat range from -40 F all the way up to 100 F temps. Your plug heat range has to do with the combustion temperature (1300-1700 degrees is a commonly published range) and has little to do with outside conditions.

According to NGK and Denso, the optimal firing end temperature is approximately between 500°C (932°F) and 800°C (1472°F).

For NGK brand a higher number is a cooler plug, which allows more heat to be drawn away from the tip (not referring to cool weather outside). A lower number means the tip runs at a higher temperature and would be better for resisting oil fouling but would become heat soaked on a high load situation such as extended high speed riding.

I've not used E3's yet but around here NGK plugs are $2 a piece which is the same price as every other plug...unless you purchase iridium, V, or G style.

Sorry, I'm a sparkplug geek :read:

I encourage further discussion however!!!

FWIW I refuse to put a champion plug in any motor more expensive than a lawnmower I've had the entire center electrode disappear in use.

Can only speak from my experiences, bought a new wing in fall of 91,rode it & no issues. One day it was & cold when I went out, developed a miss, had to pull plug's to fix. Changed them & got to checking, was told outside temp made a difference in way they ran, & needed different heat range plug's, for cold & hot weather, had heard but not experienced this. Well I figured FU-- these plugs, :rant: & placed them on the list of plugs that I don't buy, with champion's, never had any issues with Autolite's, they are available about any where, & priced about same as champions, or a little more. :thank_you:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140147#p140147:p8pu5kxv said:
C5Performance » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:09 pm[/url]":p8pu5kxv]
Even if multi point sparkplugs can jump more than one gap at once, the arc still occurs at the same moment in time.

Well...yeah. Unless the IGNITION creates more than one firing event, then the plug will only fire once. Multiple ground electrodes on the sparkle plug only increases the number of available grounds for the spark to zap to....not how many times it will fire on a single discharge. Plus...if by chance the spark DOES jump to more than one of these grounds, then that would seem to diminish that actual spark, since the same amount of energy(spark) is now divided. Sorta like poking 4 holes in your garden hose...you loose some of the water volume coming out the end of the hose....

Seems like the only way a multi-ground plug would work better would be with a really high output firing voltage. :headscratch:
I've never heard of these "Brisk" sparkle plugs, either. I thought they only made tea....
Now I curious...might hafta check them out, and see what they say about them.

The coil should produce enough energy to jump the gap with power to spare, and if not then no spark occurs. This is a great conversation for Gary at Power Arc to run, since they hold patents on plug designs!

Denver I wasn't trying to hassle you. In my humble opinion based on 40 years of driving in Wisconsin with 140 degree temp changes and all Japanese products having Ngk or Denso plugs that your vehicle may have had other issues. I've heard technicians spout off crazy stories though!

I might try a set of Brisk plugs with our ignition and see how they work.

I was only speaking about N G K's, from my experience with the brand in a new bike. Only one that I bought new, & rode in weather that cold. Takes a lot more than anything you've said to BEGIN to hassle, or bother me!, People experience things from their personal perspective, & that seems to sort of vary :thanks:

I know the feeling, I used Aussie bosch plugs for years until they had failures of insulators. I haven't used Bosch for almost 20 years now and have mainly used NGK. I like the lawnmower apology for Champion plugs, they always seemed to be the ones that ruined the threads in alloy heads ( VW and Subaru) by exiting while running :yes: :head bang: :doh:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140534#p140534:1otpz0x4 said:
Denver » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:04 pm[/url]":1otpz0x4]
I was only speaking about N G K's, from my experience with the brand in a new bike. Only one that I bought new, & rode in weather that cold. Takes a lot more than anything you've said to BEGIN to hassle, or bother me!, People experience things from their personal perspective, & that seems to sort of vary :thanks:

I was going to ask about sparkplug use in high altitudes (figured you lived in Denver ...lol, then I see you are in Ohio).

There is not much technical data about sparkplugs that a regular person could read about and gain practical knowledge.
I am fond of the NGK website for that reason (even if you don't use them the information is awesome).

Gary and I have both been extremely busy lately but we've discussed multiple ground strap spark plugs many times in the past and we both agree there are more disadvantages than advantages.

You want to ignite fuel without the sparkplug getting in the way of flame propagation (expansion). If you use a sparkplug with two, three, or four ground straps there very few spots for the flame to propagate without the electrodes getting in the way.

So how do you ignite more fuel with only one ground electrode?

Use higher quality materials and build a thinner ground electrode.
Use a "surface gap" sparkplug such as rotary engines use, but the flame is held close to the cylinder head which is not ideal.
Use an elevated center electrode and have a "surface gap" plug that forces the spark to jump downward toward the threads.

Last of all, you could invent a means to fire a coil multiple times just a few degrees apart from one another, giving the unburned fuel a chance to redistribute over the sparkplug so it will ignite the second or third time......oh crap...that's been done already :whistling:

I've got another month of snow, then I can do some real word tests. I might even run a different plug on every cylinder of my GL1000 and share the pictures with you. I've never tried that so I'll use single spark, then switch to multiple spark and see what happens.

I have never heard of these plugs.....but , as for the multi-fire or V tip plugs... I have used them a lot . i used to buy and ride the GT 750 Suzuki's ( owned 11 of them ) 2 stroke , 3 Cyl. Water Cooled , 1972 to 1977 ... we all know 2 stroke motors are famous for fouling spark plugs if the Oil is turned up . I have always done all my own Eng. building , Tuning , and all that . first time i put a set of Splitfire plugs in a Water Buffalo ( GT 750 ) , and thats ALL I did ... it raised the Idle from 800 rpm's to well over 1000 , almost doubled . . i had to adjust the idle down , and believe it or not i could tell the difference in off the line , and top end most .... but i could tell a difference at any rpm . . i have never tried any plug like that in a Goldwing , but I have never ever had any luck with NGK plugs in anything . i'm just saying ........ :hi: