Building an Ultralight airplane

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dad has never been more pissed at me for buying a toy than he was the day i can home with a huge box of parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The wings and tail come off but it doesnt matter for me i have a 70 acre field as a backyard and would just be flying between my house and the farm ... just hope i dont hit a cow that would suck

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181921#p181921:31ywtgx3 said:
nwhittemore07885 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:13 pm[/url]":31ywtgx3]
The wings and tail come off but it doesnt matter for me i have a 70 acre field as a backyard and would just be flying between my house and the farm ... just hope i dont hit a cow that would suck

I am pretty sure the cow would win. :head bang:

Hahah I got blind drunk one night and decided to go do donuts and smacked a 800 lb bull at 45 mph sideways caved in the whole side of my brand new to me f250 ....dang thing just got up shook his head and walked away like nothing happened

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181921#p181921:kzovgnld said:
nwhittemore07885 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:13 pm[/url]":kzovgnld]

Wow! That's nice! (I don't mean a cow. LOL)

Ok so no plane yet and i have decided to give up a search for one in my price range because they either need a total restore or they are not what I want so im back to the drawing board once again.I have solved the weight issue with the gl1200 engine by removing the trans and making a cover plate to seal the engine back up. Rather than going off the rear of the engine add a pulley to the front of the crank and make it belt driven. I also found a bulk pallet of 5/8 tubing that was ordered the wrong thickness for a customer that they are willing to sale me at cost at a local business ... as soon as i get my pole barn up next week im going to start truely planning the build but just giving an update

I am Lol. I have already wasted enough time reading and dreaming and as much information as there is online for different designs and what is needed which most i have procured already ,there is no need to lolligag any longer than i have too . My only hang up is the motor if the goldwing engine will not work i will simply use a vw engine that i know is capable and proven in the air as well as on land

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184079#p184079:1z8w1y5w said:
nwhittemore07885 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:13 am[/url]":1z8w1y5w]
I am Lol. I have already wasted enough time reading and dreaming and as much information as there is online for different designs and what is needed which most i have procured already ,there is no need to lolligag any longer than i have too . My only hang up is the motor if the goldwing engine will not work i will simply use a vw engine that i know is capable and proven in the air as well as on land

:good:

The 2 shafts and several gears that make up the trans, along with the shift forks and drum, probably weigh a total of 20 pounds. The oil and water pump, as well as the oil sump, pickup, and filter, are located at the very bottom of the engine case. The rear housing contains the clutch (which drives the oil and water pump), the alternator (the stator is bolted to the housing, and the rotor contains the starter clutch), and the output shaft. You'll need to leave the upper trans shaft, clutch basket, and primary chain in place, as these drive the oil/water pumps.

Unless you want to make serious modifications to a Wing engine, a VW engine would be lighter and simpler...no cooling system, no trans, and fully self-contained. Just my humble opinion...

I agree i was thinking of doing a electric oil pump and water pump and running an alternator off one of the cam pulleys but i was going to see what i got into once i pulled the trans to see what i had or if i even could modify it to suit my needs. The vw engine is always an option mainly because i have one already but i would love to see a wing in the air . The higher rpm and longevity on the wing engine are the biggest perks but its going to require major mods to get it in the air .

Dry sump and electric oil pump and electric coolant pump should make it very possible. Looking forward to your build.

Latest posts