Carb Swap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kds111

Reaction score
Will the carb assembly from an 81 GL1100 bolt on and work correctly on an 82 GL1100?
The set I have now is frozen from sitting since 96. I can purchase a set from a running 81 for $80.00.
I'm told that the pilot jets are not removeable and will have to be blown out.
Thought's and suggestion please.....

Yes, '81's will work on the '82's. I have '81's on my '83 engine and they work fine. $80 is a good price for a working set of carbs. But if they are off already, you might want to open them up and clean them, check the float levels and check for leaks.

If they are coming off a running bike, you can just swap them out to get going, but you do have a great opportunity to bring the carbs up to snuff.

When I was in the process of restoring my bike to service, I found an '81 wrecked bike that I got a tremendous amount of good parts from and just got the bike running. After a year of service, I spent the time and some money to fix the items that I found really needed correction including a complete rebuild of the carbs.

I don't think Honda played with jetting on the 1100 carbs like they did with the GL1000 carbs.
But then again maybe nobody has bothered to document and publish any differences.
The Honda shop manual only tells us the 80-81 uses carb number xx48A, 1982 on uses xx48C but that tells us very little.

It seems Honda's focus was more on experimenting with gear ratios on the GL1100.
I would do the swap and check the plugs after 50 miles, they will tell you how it's burning too rich or too lean.

mcgovern61":me8ka1zh said:
After a year of service, I spent the time and some money to fix the items that I found really needed correction including a complete rebuild of the carbs.
a engine tranplant etc.... just the minor stuff really :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

The idle jet can be pulled on the 81's it's jsut not meant to be pulled..let it sit with some carb cleaner in the jet..pull the other jet out..then apply a little heat on the idle jet tube then use an easy out to "grab' the jet..lightly and wiggle and pull I have gotten all mine out that way..sometimes w/o the heat.. Much easier to clean when out!! Just use the easyout with care so you don't screw up the top of the jet.

Dave":306yd8nv said:
mcgovern61":306yd8nv said:
After a year of service, I spent the time and some money to fix the items that I found really needed correction including a complete rebuild of the carbs.
a engine tranplant etc.... just the minor stuff really :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Isn't an engine transplant considered minor? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: