clutch parts unknown

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imgeno2

Reaction score
I tried to power brake the bike and smoke the tires, but without success. I know, it was dumb. Then the bike would still move with the clutch depressed. I thought that it was the plates bent, so I purchased a basket from EBay and replaced the plates. I looked at the Goldwing service manual and noticed a part in the clutch that I couldn't find. I couldn't remember if I pulled it out or not, but I thought that I lost it. This part is called, lifter rod, and sits in the center of the lifter plate. I'm confused because some drawings have it and some don't. I installed it and tried to depress the clutch handle but, it was really hard. I took it apart and found the rod bent. Does this must mean that it doesn't belong there? or it's something else the I'm unaware yet? I have a 1983 Aspencade that I acquired this winter and would love to make it my own baby without braking the bank. Can someone help me get the right information as to this lifter rod? Does this bike's clutch take it or not? Thanks for the help.
Gene

Ok,
Um, the burnout on a Old Goldwing thang. :shock: :hihihi:

If and it's a big "if"I wanted to do a burnout on an wing, it probably wouldn't be on an full dressed 83 Aspencade.

But on to your question, I believe an 83 Aspencade has linked brakes so you would be braking the wheel/tire you're trying to spin and smoke.

This kind of mischief can be best accomplished on a bike with separate front and rear braking systems.

To the rest of your problem I'll leave it to others that know better.

80-81 clutch actuators are the same. 82 is different and 83 is different again. If memory serves. The clutches themselves are all the same I think.

Thanks for the replies. I also think that it doesn't take it. And that's why I couldn't find it in the first place. Damn it. Thanks again

Did you eliminate that damper plate? :headscratch: Better get rid of it while your there, :Doh2: or you'll be back in there when it comes apart, & tears things up. :whistling: