converting comstar to spokes + picking a diff rim size

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. My '77 had a 16" rim laced to the stock hub when I bought it. I liked the look, and it handled well.
uploadfromtaptalk1384010674049.jpg

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

I wonder how this would work on a 16" wheel. :headscratch: It looks like the spokes that go from inside to outside of hub flange are almost touching the edge of the discs as they have to make a sharp bend to go to the centre of the rim. A smaller rim would use shorter spokes so this might be a problem. Or maybe the spoke holes could be drilled closer to the outside of the flange plates.

Brian

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129952#p129952:222ycew9 said:
joedrum » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:19 am[/url]":222ycew9]
i have seen it done on 16" wheels its seems to be the most popular way to go
Good to know, Joe. :good: I see too that the outside edge of the hub discs look like they are beveled or rounded, probably for spoke clearance.

Would be tempting to try. But you must have to use a tube then, right?

Brian

I would only ever consider a tube with spokes as they are dynamic by nature and I believe would always leak no matter how you tried to seal them.

My '77 had a 16" rear. Of course, it was laced to a spoke-type hub. It looked great IMHO. Was that way when I bought it.
eva2ere2.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409617030028.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409617030028.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 137