Coolant return option, the drain plug?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
Why couldn't we use the coolant drain plug as a return?
Tap to 1/4 or 3/8" npt as needed and Tee in, plug on end of Tee for drain.

image.php

Looks like 1/4" npt max, still big enough.

Could tap to 1/4", thread in a 1/4x3/8 hose barb.
Pull the hose to drain. Easy deal and no extra pipe fittings hanging out that could get snapped off if hit.
If ya wanted to get fancy, they make fittings to hose with compression and a hex nut to take off for draining.
Question is, will a return there disrupt pump action.
Doesn't look like it would.

I don't think it would work. The return (suction) is at the center of the impeller, and the drain plug is outside, in the output flow. Best bet is tapping into the thermostat cover or housing for the return. The cover would bypass the thermostat and give instant, continuous flow. The drain plug might be a decent pressure tap point, just my thoughts...

Hey Dan my pump housing got a hike knocked in it while running.. so I got to peak inside while it was going... when spinning above idle . Fluid will flow within the pump... I started losing fluid when I idled down.. no pressure on the out side of the impeller.. (I need to find that housing or the pics I took of it after replacement)..

Would it be possible to make a spacer between the thermost housing and the block about .875-1.00" Drill and tap into the side of the spacer? My wing is an 81, Do not know what you have, Just a thought, Charlie in NC