Cruise control handlebar switches??????

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtxcandyred

Reaction score
Anyone ever been inside there???????? I am, and am wondering is someone had some experience with it. Mine quit working and cleaning with contact cleaner was not much better and then wd-40 made it worse. I have a tiny spring I know where it goes but in the bottom of the housing was a tiny copper piece with two ears off the back and two bitty nubs on the other side at opposite ends. I believe it goes against the spring across from it but I don't see where it would fit. There are two wires on the end that would be set and decrease mode. I'm wondering if I need to replace THAT switch or the whole kitten caboodle????? I have a feeling we will be talking $$$$$$$. I had to hold the throttle all the way to the PA. line and back Saturday to sell my trailer. I have Kury grips and took the wrist rest off of my VTX to put on the wing and it helped but the cruise is a must.

Ahhhh...cruise control.....I can only dream!! Mine has automatic throttle...I hold it with my wrist and it automatically does what I wanT :smilie_happy: (Just kidding!)

Have not been into the 1500 yet, but it does seem like the switch might need to be replaced. My buddy has an 1800 and he has had to replace individual switches already.

I use my throttle lock occasionally but never really had cruise. Post up some pics of the switches and maybe we can figure out a fix.

slabghost":2v5mtdvb said:
I use my throttle lock occasionally but never really had cruise. Post up some pics of the switches and maybe we can figure out a fix.
I will when I get home to take some. Thanks.

Got it figured out. It was a connector under the seat. It was not together tightly enough. Its working like a champ now!!!!!!!!!!

On my 95 GL1500 the cruise switch refuses to stay depressed. Tried spraying some plastic safe cleaner but still it refuses to stay depressed.

The cruise on/off switch is a very common problem on the 1500's. If you can get it to stay on just once, leave it on. Mine has never been turned off since I've owned it.

Piper":3iofw1im said:
The cruise on/off switch is a very common problem on the 1500's. If you can get it to stay on just once, leave it on. Mine has never been turned off since I've owned it.
Same with my '06 GL1800. One of the problems is that the grease in them dries out, and particularly in cold weather gets too stiff. Warning-tiny springs!!

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

I put on some after market Chrome Levers on my GL1500 and lost my CC. Fortunately I saved my stock levers. As soon as I put them back on - my CC returned. There's some sort of engineering error in them.

I've tried the chrome after market levers on both the 1100 and the 1500 and have bad luck with both. The 1100 brake light stayed on all the time and the 1500 cruise control wouldn't work. I took them both off and put the stock black ones back on and all is well again. They don't seem to be machined well enough to activate the switches. Both sets are on the shelf.

I'm with you on those bad levers. I want to sell mine on Ebay but I won't rip a buyer off like that. The best thing to do is to put them in my vise and use my hacksaw to cut them in two. Maybe I'll just toss them into the recycle bin.

yes..bad news for the switches..i restored a 1990 trike, it had sit for almost 8 years, but luckly for me...the electrial spray for switches and electronic boards worked very well getting all that hard grease, lube, or whatever they used back to thin lube, and it just washed away my worries....it worked well after that...I guess it was my lucky day.