curiousity question on a gl1200a

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysteryrider

Supporting Member
Reaction score
guy has a 85 1200a in really nice condition 76000 miles only downside is the stator is dead so my question for the group at large is about what would the bike be worth ... I have priced the stator and also priced the conversion to a alt my opinion is the guy who has it wants allot more than it is worth so just wondering if my personal guess is close or not

I wouldn't pay more than $1000.

It is NOT a running machine with a bad stator. Looks like you can get a new stator for $150 or less. Just remember replacing the stator means dropping the exhaust system, pulling the motor, replacing the stator and rear gaskets, and then putting everything back.

Depending upon your experience and tools, it may take you one day to pull the engine, another day to replace the stator and re-seal the engine, plus another day to put the engine back into the bike and button it up. :builder:

Bought an 84 standard for $900 from a dealer 2 years ago come June, stator still charges, needed gone through to catch up on neglect. :roll: In good shape with all buttons, & bit's intact :yes: . Sounds a bit high on price, but a lot depends on it's condition. :headscratch: Put way more than the initial investment into the 84, but that was expected. :whistling: Brakes, tires, fluids, belts, water pump, are all wear part's, but add up quickly to a good bit of cash. :doh: Stator is not that big of a deal to replace, if your careful, take your time, :nea: i'd dump the damper plate while there. :good:

Need to see pics of the condition. $2500 for a bike needing work is high unless it is in mint condition in every other area of the bike.

if it is other wise very nice I might go $1500. So yes I agree it is way over priced. While the stators are and have been an issue I'd probably buy it if he dropped the price to my range and then I'd go through the charging system completely to be sure it isn't wiring or reg/rec.

I was figuring 1000 was at most if the bike is in otherwise really great condition but without pics and with his description being questionable it leaves allot to wonder about. I was mostly just seeing if others thought the same as me on the deal

I paid $2600 for my 84 Standard and I knew the stator was bad and needed replaced. For that reason, I went into the deal planning on paying at least $300 less than the asking price. Why did I pay so much? It only had 7,100 miles on it and it's a Standard, and most of the maintenance I was going to have to do it was done to get the bike ready to sell. An 85 with 76,000 miles that the stator doesn't work, you might be right at $1,000 max.

One thing to keep in mind, the design of the stator placed inside or the motor was abandoned in 1988. Replaced with a car type method of charging the battery, with the 1500's, reason? :headscratch: Heat, stator's inside the rear of motor, elevated so not even in the oil, not a very good location, compared to the air movement. :nea: Any stator will eventually suffer a similar fate, if bike is ridden, nature of the beast! :roll: