Cycle insurance.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what you need...I have liability to my state's minimum standard on 5 bikes and have it through Dairyland. I am pretty happy with my premiums...seems like I pay about $200 or less total a year for them....

Brian in NM

I got mine thru the same folks that have most of my auto insurance. Around $40 a year full coverage.... :Egyptian:

:shock:
Wow! Youse guys must not be on your Insurance agent's "Nice" list! I have 3 other vehicles besides the 'Wing with Progressive. Apparently, they give a pretty deep "discount" for multiple vehicles here. I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure my premiums on the 'Wing are around $48....I know I got that figure in me head from somewhere.... :rtfm:

Thing in Michigan are a little funny.There is no liabilty on bikes,the car is always at fault no matter what.If theres no car then the medical benifets kick in,next is the MICHIGAN CASTASTRoFIC CLAIMS which you pay about $150.00/year each vehicle.

That said I pay $300.00 for full coverage with medical benifets on the wing with a hi agreed value of $5000.00(Had to go agreed value do to age or there book value is not much)

I pay about $200.00/year on each of the other two bikes.
Those numbers include the Michigan Catastrophic Claims.

Oddly enough,the medical bennys from the wing insurance will follow me if I am riding someone else bike,but not if I am riding one of my other bikes.What a racket.

Also odd it Michigans "No fault auto insurance,which pays unlimeted medical for life on any thing realted to auto injury reguardless of whos car or what state,does not pertain to motorcycles.

I have heard mention that if ABATE is succesful at repealing MI helmet law,we will see a increase in fees which really ticks me off,I like my helmets.

Since the wifes auto accident I have become quite the scholar of MI insurance.

Sorry,what was the question again? :blush:

it really is comparing apples an oranges

costs and requirements vary from state to state. And then there is your driving record. So I coule tell you what I pay in Oklahoma for 4 bikes (2 with comprehensive) but that won't mean anything where you are.

Secondly, when you look at liability, it is HOW MUCH the insurance company will pay IF YOU are liable for damages and injury. BE AWARE that if you injure someone in an accident medical costs are VERY HIGH, and you may also be responsible for "pain and suffering". A simple trip to the ER with xrays and CT scans can run into the thousands of dollars, and surgery to fix a fracture...... be prepared for sticker shock!

If you carry the minimum liabilty then the insurance company will only pay the amount of that coverage and YOU will be responsible for the rest. If you have no personal assests, home, job (garnishing of wages e.g.), other vehicles etc, then you can say "tough luck" to the other poor sot, but if you own anything, or are worth anything, you could loose a lot.

rcmatt007":2hgvcdvi said:
it really is comparing apples an oranges

costs and requirements vary from state to state. And then there is your driving record. So I coule tell you what I pay in Oklahoma for 4 bikes (2 with comprehensive) but that won't mean anything where you are.

Secondly, when you look at liability, it is HOW MUCH the insurance company will pay IF YOU are liable for damages and injury. BE AWARE that if you injure someone in an accident medical costs are VERY HIGH, and you may also be responsible for "pain and suffering". A simple trip to the ER with xrays and CT scans can run into the thousands of dollars, and surgery to fix a fracture...... be prepared for sticker shock!

If you carry the minimum liabilty then the insurance company will only pay the amount of that coverage and YOU will be responsible for the rest. If you have no personal assests, home, job (garnishing of wages e.g.), other vehicles etc, then you can say "tough luck" to the other poor sot, but if you own anything, or are worth anything, you could loose a lot.

I'm learning the same things about insurance.
I've recently upgraded my auto and commercial insurance for these very reasons.

My advise to everyone is to understand your coverage and what those numbers mean, a "good" quote may be cheaper now but could cost you a lot later.

I never gave it much thought either until I became a physician... and when people hear "Dr." they think $$$$.... and then I realized, I do have a nice house, a "couple" of bikes, and a LOT to loose

Here in Florida its not required to have insurance on a motorcycle unless you get in an accident :headscratch:
So ive never had insurance but i plan on getting some soon