Dagnabbit!!! (stator failure)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Otay guys...what do I need to complete this task, other than the stator? Any gaskets? I know I gotta take the air tubes loose from the heads to the carbs, and the exhaust. Does the rear engine cover require a gasket, or sillycone? (The Clymer manual said use sealant.) I want to have ALL of the stuff I need to do this once I get the stator. I'm gunna start taking it apart this week, after werk. I just hope I can find room to store the crap.
Also...how much does this turd(er...engine) weigh? I can't be bending over to work on it, so I wuz tinkin I could set up my jack stands and some plywood, and have me a small workbench. But...I gotta have someway to get it up on there. I know I ain't gunna be able to lift it up onto my normal bench, and the a-holes stole my cherry picker when they broke in and stole all my other stuff years back.

Anyway...I'm still bummed, but I gotta suck it up, and just do it....dammit. Just wondering what else I need to purchase before I get started....Help?

Joel,

I am currently in Florida with my Chief mechanic (20 year old daughter that swapped the '82 engine when she was 16) and she recommends watching out for the weight when the engine slides out. We used a floor jack under the engine and slide it out sideways, just be careful about the balance it weighs about 180 lbs.

She estimates the engine out in about 4 hours and about 5 hours back in. (More time going back in because of hook ups and that darn circip on the drive shaft)

mcgovern61":5un01chx said:
Joel,

I am currently in Florida with my Chief mechanic (20 year old daughter that swapped the '82 engine when she was 16) and she recommends watching out for the weight when the engine slides out. We used a floor jack under the engine and slide it out sideways, just be careful about the balance it weighs about 180 lbs.

She estimates the engine out in about 4 hours and about 5 hours back in. (More time going back in because of hook ups and that darn circip on the drive shaft)
I could not get that circlip on mine so I asked a budy he came over and put it on in just ten min. he showed me how to do it. so now I know. it is not fun and you need a long nose pair of circlip plyers. the ones that have about a 45 deg bend on them. and they need to be the ones that open out. :eek:k: :eek:k: :good: :hi:
and yes that clip has to be there. so make sure it is back on the shaft right.

:smilie_happy:

That's right Joel, plan B is NOT to leave it out.

The last time I had the engine out I think the oil filter and timing belts off make for more room and easier to maneuver out and back in.
I wouldn't do it without help to help balance it on the floor jack.
All the rear cover bolts have to come out and I think the engine might need to be on the floor to do that.

Pull the Vet outside and you'll have it done in a weekend.

I would like to give you a word of caution friend, be very very careful not to let the pulse generator get hit on it's way out, if it gets damaged in any way shape or form, You will have real issues with how the spark advance shaft spins, it would need to be a good wack, but I'd be very careful removing the engine ..I have not removed my engine, but remember I don't think like most, I thought about removing it and visualized myself removing the frame of the bike Not the Engine...Leave the engine where it is.. :good:

littlebeaver":3t1w05ek said:
...visualized myself removing the frame of the bike Not the Engine...Leave the engine where it is.. :good:

:headscratch: Ya mean use a smoke wrench, and just get the frame outta da way? That don't sound very conducive to putting it back together in one day....
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Good tips, fellers. :thanks:
I ain't planning on taking the timing belts off.... :builder: That would just add to my misery....
Honda manual says to remove both mufflers...Clymer says only the left side.
Still need to determine what gaskets, if any, I need. Exhaust? Intake o-ringy thingies? :read:

gee wezz its not that hard at all ...unplug the wires ...loosen intake horns ......undo water pump hose cover thermostat cover too ...drop exhasts one or both ....undo driveshaft from motor output....remove motor mount bolts pull it out the left side ....i dont think i could do in a day ...out stator and back in ....but its not that bad of job ....id have to do it in spurts im sure ....

Oh actually I meant to say take the timing belt COVERS off. No need to take the belts off.

You'll need:
a rear cover gasket
Stator (of course)
4 intake O rings. It's a good time to replace them as they squish flat.
4 Exhaust crush gaskets
Oil and filter unless you can pull this off without pulling the oil filter.
Chances are good the driveshaft clip is in good condition but I'd replace it anyway.

I think that's it.

While you have the back cover off to do the stator it's a good time to check the scavenger pump is clean and also to inspect the clutch basket, plates and clutch dampener for damaged rivots or scoring.
I know you want this done fast, just saying checking these now could avoid headaches in the future.

dan pretty well covered that in his post beav but me ...id clean everything in there inspect chains and all and just sir back and have beer and stare at it till im sure everything is yp to par as it sould be ...maybe compare with pics on the internet or somwhere ...check slop and slack on things ...you dont get to see it often to look at with luck on your side :hihihi: :mrgreen:

joedrum":26ptt0rg said:
just sir back and have beer and stare at it till I'm sure everything is up to par as it should be ...

Well...I don't drink, but....I'm sure there'll be an overabundance of staring at stuff... :smilie_happy:
So I needs intake and exhaust gaskeetos, rear cover gaskeeto, oil and filter(I wuz planning on changing the erl anywho), box(or two) of Band-Aids...and a swift kink in the a :sensored: to get me started. Sound about right? :popcorn:

Oh yeah...I already figured on the stator.... :doh:

:hi: When I did mine I reconfigured the starter solenoid, replaced the dog bones with two 30amp auto fuse holders, completely hard wired the Reg/Rec, and stator. Also I found out if I work the key switch back and forth 4-5-6 times it started at 14.1-2 and stayed there most of the time, prior to that the thing would start at 14.1-2 and drop to 12 or so and not reclaim the voltage, at this point I sprayed cleaner on the key switch plug, the one behind the rubber weather protector on the right side in fairing near fork (no need to dismantle anything can be reached WO that), also sprayed cleaner on thee plugs inside fuel tank cover at connections near fuse block. Check wire on opposite end of secondary dog bone under seat, this goes to a spade plug and to Rec/Reg spray it w cleaner and make sure good connection. (Dog bone fuses may look good but can be bad from age, check those too) :laptop:
Mine being a 1200 might be a little different but the majority would be the same I would think, also God has been good to me and I am grateful. It pretty much stays charging now. Can see what was done in my pics. Blessings GEO. :music3: :music3:

alrite.....I'm having a hard time finding gaskets for this turd....anyone got a supplier that will actually have them? I wouldn't balk at buying the complete engine set, since I will need most of them later, anyway. The only one I have found so far is in Canadia....I don't wanna play with customs/shipping issues.
Help me fellers! :beg: I ain't gonna tear into this job before I have everything I need on hand.

Sabercycles has the set, but...I've heard so much bad poop about Sabercyles and their gaskets....Imma skeered.... :shock:

whole world full of buttheads ...i think the products are better they are ...id buy them from sabre ....gaskits anyway ...the prices out there are all ripoffs ...so dealing with buttheads to save some funds seems okay to me :cheeky: :rant: :ahem:

AApple":qv9q29be said:
alrite.....I'm having a hard time finding gaskets for this turd....anyone got a supplier that will actually have them? I wouldn't balk at buying the complete engine set, since I will need most of them later, anyway. The only one I have found so far is in Canadia....I don't wanna play with customs/shipping issues.
Help me fellers! :beg: I ain't gonna tear into this job before I have everything I need on hand.

Sabercycles has the set, but...I've heard so much bad poop about Sabercyles and their gaskets....Imma skeered.... :shock:
:hi: :laptop: This guy is on the 1200 site, but can answer 99.9% of questions on this matter;
https://gl1200goldwings.com/memberlist.p ... file&u=939
Neoracer, tell him GEO sent you. Also I would talk to him about the stator readings right off, trust me this guy is knowledgeable about your problem, he might want to go over much of the same stuff first, he may PM or call on phone. He can also tell you best place to buy stuff fer yer machine. (You might have to join to get to him, it would be worth it.) Many Blessings, GEO :music3: :music3: