Dagnabbit!!! (stator failure)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":360ggs1u said:
I've had very good experiences with cheapcycleparts.com
You can even call them and talk to an English speaking person.

They ain't got squat for it anymore....GL1100 don't even come up in the search. Only gaskets I found were for the baby Hondas...650s and such.... :smilie_happy:

AApple":228vfemt said:
dan filipi":228vfemt said:
I've had very good experiences with cheapcycleparts.com
You can even call them and talk to an English speaking person.

They ain't got squat for it anymore....GL1100 don't even come up in the search. Only gaskets I found were for the baby Hondas...650s and such.... :smilie_happy:

Yeah, it's been awhile but I see now they don't even have Honda in the dropdown for Make.
Take them off the list of suppliers, bummer. They were very good.

I know what you need, I'll have a look around.

i just saw this thread, so i'm late to the party. but i would be very carful with aftermarket stators. greg fosi on NGW can tell you about his horror story. anyway, before you rip out the engine, unplug the stator, start the bike and measure between the yellow wires coming out of the stator. at 3000 RPM you should have 50 volts AC. measure all the wires between each other. any yellow to any yellow to any yellow. if you don't have 50volts, the stator is bad. if you do, you don't have to replace it. the problem is else where

Thanks cyborg. I might give that a shot this weekend. Problem is, I done soldered the stator wires. :rant:

Dan...I need more than just the rear cover gasket....I'll need the exhaust dog-nuts, the intake o-ringadingys, and who knows what else. I'd just as soon go ahead and get a complete set...that way I'll have everything if I need something else. Plus, when I do get around to pulling the front cover to do the water pump, I'll already have those, too. At least that's my plan...and we all know how plans usually go.... :builder:

hmmmm i think its starting to look like the stator might be good ...that was great what cyborg said ....if the stator wires are looking good and no hot spots or burnt looking to the soder joint and pass it might be thr rectifier thats turns the ac to dc current...i hate stuff like this :rant: :doh: :headscratch: :mrgreen:

:shock: :shock: :shock: HOLY MOLY!!!!
Mother Honda(local dealer) wants $327 for a stator!!! Plus $150 & change for the gasket set(that has been dis-continued?)....yeeeeesh....this is gunna be a hard sell to Mama! Then again....I'll spend that much on fuel in a month of drivin da Cad to/from werk....hhhmmmm...$120 a WEEK for fuel x 4 = $480....what to do....what to do... :roll:

AApple":3rp0i4ht said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: HOLY MOLY!!!!
Mother Honda(local dealer) wants $327 for a stator!!! Plus $150 & change for the gasket set(that has been dis-continued?)....yeeeeesh....this is gunna be a hard sell to Mama! Then again....I'll spend that much on fuel in a month of drivin da Cad to/from werk....hhhmmmm...$120 a WEEK for fuel x 4 = $480....what to do....what to do... :roll:
Now the poor boy conversion starts looking pretty good. $477 isn't pocket change to me.

id still go for 89dollar stator there not all bad ...but id have no choice i aint paying the rip off price period ....no way ...honda can kiss my butt ...pass selling there bikes ...there a moderin day ripoff corporation just like the rest...

See my earlier post, check stator wires the three yellow that plug right by front of battery for amps with the wires unplugged, and engine running, man don't go tearing things apart until you are sure it is the stator failure, burnt and bad connections seem to be a early GW problem from what I am told. Take time to check all possible wiring problems

MrGeo":3sfsunad said:
See my earlier post, check stator wires the three yellow that plug right by front of battery for amps with the wires unplugged, and engine running, man don't go tearing things apart until you are sure it is the stator failure, burnt and bad connections seem to be a early GW problem from what I am told. Take time to check all possible wiring problems

I've done all of the normal checks for determining if the stator is good or not, with the exception of the test Cyborg posted yesterday. My stator appears to be shorted internally, since I am getting a resistance reading from all/each of the yaller wires to ground.

Truth be told, I don't mind spending the $$$, if it keeps me from having to do this again anytime soon. From what I have been reading, the aftermarket stators are a crap shoot...might get a good one, might not. Of course, a new one could be crap, too, but far less likely, imo.

I would love to do the po boy conversion, and be done with it. I have the fabrication skills to make the brackets and such, but what I don't have is my welder...someone else decided they needed it more than I did, and they stole it, along with about $100,000 worth of other tools from my storage building a few years ago. I also run short on patience when doing stuff like that....I'd prolly wind up sellin the dang bike and buying anudder one before I ever finished the project! :smilie_happy:

amazingly enough, Mama axed me if I needed to buy anudder bike when I toll her it wuz broke... :lust:

AApple":bkzfyx4b said:
MrGeo":bkzfyx4b said:

I've done all of the normal checks for determining if the stator is good or not, with the exception of the test Cyborg posted yesterday. My stator appears to be shorted internally, since I am getting a resistance reading from all/each of the yaller wires to ground.

Truth be told, I don't mind spending the $$$, if it keeps me from having to do this again anytime soon. From what I have been reading, the aftermarket stators are a crap shoot...might get a
good one, might not. Of course, a new one could be crap, too, but far less likely, imo.

I would love to do the po boy conversion, and be done with it. I have the fabrication skills to make the brackets and such, but what I don't have is my welder...someone else decided they needed it more than I did, and they stole it, along with about $100,000 worth of other tools from my storage building a few years ago. I also run short on patience when doing stuff like that....I'd prolly wind up sellin the dang bike and buying anudder one before I ever finished the project! :smilie_happy:

amazingly enough, Mama axed me if I needed to buy anudder bike when I toll her it wuz broke... :lust:
:hi: Understood, sad thing. IF ya want, put a car or marine deep cycle battery in each bag and charge them at night, to go to work and back. Just if ya want to run it. Just a jerry rig thought. :music3:

I've considered putting my booster box in the bag and riding, but....that's just too Billy Bob, even for me! :smilie_happy:
I'll do a couple of more suggested checks before I start ordering stuff, just to be 100% certain. Trust me, this(pulling the engine) is NOT something I wanna do...but I will, if that's what will get me back ridin asap. :moped:

AApple":1tjp0mhn said:
I've considered putting my booster box in the bag and riding, but....that's just too Billy Bob, even for me! :smilie_happy:
I'll do a couple of more suggested checks before I start ordering stuff, just to be 100% certain. Trust me, this(pulling the engine) is NOT something I wanna do...but I will, if that's what will get me back ridin asap. :moped:
:hi: :laptop: Blessings, hope ya find it to be something more simple. GEO :music3: :music3:

cyborg":1y0trxut said:
if push comes to shove, i have a good used one i'll sell you for $50 plus shipping
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: U R jus to kind. :hihihi: :whistling: :music3: