Diy hydraulic lowering rear air shocks -monroe 785

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be a trailblazer, go for it. If you lose air the rear of the bike isn't going to explode launching your remains into space. I think your idea is clever and well thought out, you're just doing what many Wing pioneers do. Necessity is the mother of invention, THIS IS thinking outside the box.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155324#p155324:lhnw5bsg said:
Omega Man » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:06 am[/url]":lhnw5bsg]
Be a trailblazer, go for it. If you lose air the rear of the bike isn't going to explode launching your remains into space. I think your idea is clever and well thought out, you're just doing what many Wing pioneers do. Necessity is the mother of invention, THIS IS thinking outside the box.

The bike would fall over while parked just from the slightest slow leak if you don't chop the kickstand is the first main issue.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155004#p155004:ikh8a5y5 said:
83gl1200 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:36 pm[/url]":ikh8a5y5]
Yes air pressure alone. When completely aired down they ride like a rigid.

They usually sell around $65 a pair. I chose these after seeing I would pay that much just for rusty used stock shocks with torn boots off eBay.

I can run them standalone with a fixed amount of air and save some cash up front, but in the long run this won't save me a dime because I'm going to want to add an air pump and dump valve and all the stuff it takes to fully utilize the adjustability on the fly. It will put the cost back up to $200 or so total.

They take more air pressure than stock (around 100lbs) so I dont think you would be able to use these with the stock honda air pump etc at all.

They're also not shiny and pretty like stock shocks.
file.php

well im sold on them and looking for some ...there slim ...i feel the air deals will hold swing arm better and in more narrow window than regular stock shocks from one side to the other ...sheesh the whole idea to let down while parked to get on easier ... for people to custom flat foot there bikes heigth is a big one ...so for oldwings this could be huge ..... :popcorn:

Right now with the bike in lets say total and I mean total parts "bin" I am in the position to be able to do things like this see my build another one, and you will see what I mean. So right now I am open to many and all suggestions and if you want a radical suspension mod on a GL take a look at the build "old Sparky" now that is RADICAL thinking.

I run air shocks on my VW Touareg v10, when they "go" down they just sit on the bump stops, but they do have a shock absorber inside. This would be a big difference. These Monroe's are just an air lift with a shock feature or air ride a I see it. the mounting isn't an issue "have welder will fix" it looks a sweet option on your bike that could be adapted here too. And by the looks of things we have the bigest "I want that on planet Goldwing, Joe Drum. If it can be done, either Joe has done it, tried it or hasn't thought about it yet.

Ian still look fine shocks though. wonder if I can get them over here in the good ole UK. :BigGrin: :salute:

I think you guys are missing the point that you no longer have springs so you can't beat the stock Gl1100+ setup. For good suspension you need something to hold it up plus dampening, straight air shocks will give you the support but not the dampening when used without springs. I have used air shocks on many vehicles and while holding greater loads the ride/handling was compromised. If using a load carry modification I would now use an airbag kit which still has shocks and springs plus air.

I recently removed my air shocks because of oil seal leaks and the springs are worn out. I replaced them with a set of coil spring shocks that are progessive type of springs (but half the price of real progressives). They work great and no fear of losing air and bottoming out.

image.php

image.php

Right the Air shocks on the GL's also have a damper inside them. so much like my VW ones, the VW has an air bag at the top that expands and contracts.
I do love chrome though, lots of chrome. The Hagon ones look cool too.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155333#p155333:30m6lh7a said:
Ansimp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:05 pm[/url]":30m6lh7a]
I think you guys are missing the point that you no longer have springs so you can't beat the stock Gl1100+ setup. For good suspension you need something to hold it up plus dampening, straight air shocks will give you the support but not the dampening when used without springs. I have used air shocks on many vehicles and while holding greater loads the ride/handling was compromised. If using a load carry modification I would now use an airbag kit which still has shocks and springs plus air.

I'm not trying something untested here with these. Tons and tons of harley guys report they work better than harley showa air shocks, I think they are the same shocks as on gl's.
Most of the reviews on amazon are from using them on harleys, not cars, so you can read their opinions on ride quality.
https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-MA785-Max- ... B000C55SVE

No complaints about dampening or ride quality that I saw.

Dampening isn't done by springs it is by oil like all other shocks. The only difference is air vs spring holding the weight.

A few people have had the weld break on the bottom shock mount, that's the only major complaint i have seen so far. Monroe replaced them so just a bit of an inconvenience. It may also be from riding them without air which you're not supposed to do and it says so in the instructions. Or because some people were replacing the bushings with polyurethane rather than rubber. It says minimum 20lbs in the instructions, typically people seem to ride in the 60-90lb range for stock ride height so you'd still be lowriding on 20lbs.
Riding without air would just be in an emergency if you had a leak, and you'd need to go real easy.

True dat, the air bag replaces the spring basically.
Air bags do the same thing, only difference is a shock absorber is also bolted on to control bounce. See them on air ride semi trucks.

Got it!! :doh: :thank_you:

They are not air shocks like ours, they are "airbag" shocks. Yep, "air ride" trucks, busses, trailers...even the air ride seats all us the same technology. Those air bags are pretty hefty in their construction.

If anyone else wants to try a pair of these shocks I just found a heck of a deal. $36 a pair and free shipping at jet.com if you use coupon code f444cb3.
https://jet.com/Monroe-MA785-Max-Air-Ai ... 1f76f7be6f
This code expires 9/1 so just a couple days left on this promotional sale.
I received the first set from them already and just bought another set there today when I found that coupon just to have a backup pair since it was such a deal.

And just fyi I haven't gotten mine installed yet because I'm still waiting on the last couple parts, I have all the big stuff shocks and compressor, air guage, most of the connectors, relay, inline fuse, but am waiting on the last two little connectors to connect it all. (Received one wrong part and ordered one wrong so waiting on the next shipment.)

I also need a new side stand to cut shorter if anyone has a spare. Mine has already been cut and welded to fit the current 11" shocks I'm running. I would rather cut a new one than waste this custom welded one just to take another 1.5" out.

I ended up buying both a VIAIR 98 air compressor that the harley guys like to use, and picked up a stock gl1100 air compressor so I can compare the two. These might actually work with the stock compressor, so I wanted to try so I can let you know how that would work out.

Can anyone tell me what the max pressure is you can get out of the stock gl1100 air compressor? The gauge it came with shows 100lbs but that doesn't tell me if the compressor will actually go that high. Also what size or type fitting is on it, it doesn't fit the 1/4" npt fitting I bought for the viair setup. If nobody knows I'll try a hardware store and see if they can tell. It would also be nice to know how many seconds it takes the stock pump to reach full pressure. If it's too slow I may not bother buying an adapter to test it. It's significantly smaller than the viair pump so just going off looks alone I'm guessing it would be much slower.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161655#p161655:3k0x4v06 said:
past in time tony » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:58 pm[/url]":3k0x4v06]
I am very interested in this set up. Any progress?

No, sorry, other stuff got in the way. All the parts are here ready to be put on, but i just haven't had the will time and energy to take the bike apart and do more work on it while the weather was still letting me ride. (Lost a whole riding season working on it last year.)

I need to pull my swingarm and change out the moly grease at the same time, plus work on a couple other little things like the wiring, polishing the rear pumpkin while its out and maybe touch up frame and swingarm paint too before all the new stuff goes in.

When snow hits the ground and I can't ride anyway, then I'll take it apart and do it all at once.

Yea salt plays havoc on bikes, :yes: put mine up for a long nap when the salt hits the street. :rant:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161697#p161697:2aj1c1iy said:
past in time tony » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:06 am[/url]":2aj1c1iy]
Well, I ordered the MA785 shocks today. I feel like there is no reason this wont work. I will report back when I get into the project. Thanks, Tony

Correct, there is no reason it wouldn't work. There are thousands of examples of it working on other bikes and the only thing different about a wing is minor fitting issues like how you choose to mod the lower shock mount to fit in the swingarm or how you choose to shorten the kickstand. Should for the most part be very straightforward.

Dont go cheap on a small pump is the biggest suggestion I can make. The honda pump is too slow.
Some people add an air tank to the mix so they can air up even faster than a pump allows, not necessary, but better than being too slow. I bought the 98 pump which the Harley guys recommended.

My replacement shocks are still holding air from months ago when I first received them, first set had a slow leak. Test them overnight or longer to make sure they hold air before putting them on and before modding the shock mounts. I had to put the first set in a bathtub while aired up to see where my leak was coming from.

Latest posts