Does anyone get numb in their hands?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
When I ride I get numb in my hands after about fifteen minutes on my 1983 Goldwing. Was wondering if you guys near 50 get the same? And if so, are there any things that work to stop that? Maybe gloves with rubber palms or other?

I get the same thing.

Gloves and relaxing your grip help a lot.

I have some carpel tunnel pain that comes and goes.
To help that and the numbing I use a throttle lock so I can take one hand at a time off the grip to stretch my hands.
A Cramp Buster help enormously so you don't have to hold a firm grip on the throttle twisting.

https://www.crampbuster.com/

what sign of old age i didnt need to hear that .......yes it happens to me to but it dosnt seem to bother me any ......im not smart enough to be fearful :whistling: :mrgreen:

I had a fat pair of foamy grips, I figuered they would be excellent. but to my surprise I had alot of fatigue in both hands. I found a nice pair of thin gel grips from progrip and I use a pair of riding gloves (fingers cut out) from river road.
17-0767TourngGrip862_sm.jpg

632924433469802294i46835.jpg

has helped a bunch.
I also have a cheapy throttle lock and after a awhile I just have to hang my arm down and shake my hand a bit.. or lay it over the handlebar and work my fingers...

most of my trouble is carple tunnle caused by "mousing" too much :D

BTW
think the grips were around 20$
and the gloves around 10$

You could pull a plug wire(or two) off....then you'd get the same vibration action as a Hardly...might keep the blood flowing thru the digits... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

I haven't(so far) had the numbness in my fingers/hands, but I'm sure it will happen eventually. I used to get serious cramps, tho, and it would lock my fingers to the grips, making it hard to get off the throttle...that was always fun... :sensored:

I have thick gel-type grips, and wear gloves. I do stretch me fingers out over the levers every once in a while to keep them alive, plus it gets a little more air to them. :mrgreen:

I bought a cramp buster and used it on my last 2800 mile road trip and the difference was absolutely astounding! I too have carpal tunnel in my right wrist, tennis elbow on both sides and rotator cuff issues. My hands would tingle, arms cramp and shoulders hurt after a 100 mile ride. I use gel padded gloves to help the vibration, but the cramp buster eliminated my wrist pain, eliminated my tennis elbow strain. I also adjusted my seat all of the way forward and readjusted my handlebars to reduce the strain on my shoulders and it all worked out great!

I recommend getting a cramp buster ASAP! (cheap investment with maximum return!)

joecool":e9zoernj said:
already own one, but my left hand falls asleep too.
I meant for your left side too! By having your palm open, you will loosen your grip on the left side and this will reduce the amount of vibration that travels through the base of the palm of your hand which inturn travels through the nerve bundle in your wrist causing the numbness. It is actually a symptom of carpal tunnel in your left side because as you grip and hold the handlebar grip, you squeeze the carpal tunnel itself (right behind your wrist) which puts pressure on the nerves.

But the CrampBuster is for the throttle only, right? I mean why have one on that side if there's no twisting action needed?

joecool":3pd3u4u1 said:
I mean why have one on that side if there's no twisting action needed?

Because you can rest your palm on it which helps to loosen the grip.

I get this after about 10 minutes. What worked the most for me was repositioning the handlebars. For me, I pulled them back to lower them. That made a world of difference, but I still get numb fingers, it just takes longer. What I do is let go of one side at a time. Relax my arm, or reposition it momentarily untill the circulation returns. Many times I can just raise my elbows and hold them up just a bit for a short time and that works. I don't experience any pain. It's just kinda freaky wondering if I will have control if something comes up, and my hands have no feeling. It takes some of the fun out of riding.

:fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: Well I have experienced all most all of those systoms at one time or another....I find the most effective thing i can do is relax my grip.....I guess I have mentaly bolcked out or ignored those issues due to me 40+ years riding and racing Dirt bikes... not much time to worry about all the akes and pains untill after the race is over (about 6 hrs of mucle strain, leg reamps backake sore keees neckake hands crampingand nothing to eat or drink...Kids running over you and past you and everyons you meet yolling GO! GO! GO! even when you don't want to)...GOD I miss that :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :heat: :heat: :salute: The 70 year lod body dosen't though ....anyway RELAX your grip !!! and do all those other things and enjoy REMEMBRR : as long as you keep the front wheel where you want it the back will follow!!!!! IF IT DOSENT YOU HAVE MORE TROUBL THAN YOU CAN HANDLE...GET OFF NOW!!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :salute: :heat: :blush: :blush: :blush: Bob

When I ride I get numb in my hands
Was told that's why I have to where glasses :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

all my life I rode from point A to point B just as fast as I could get there , always holding on like my life depended on it..... ( and it did ) :smilie_happy: and NOW with my Goldwing ........I still hold on the same way...... I find myself doing it all the time... I don't know if there is any cure for that or not. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I used to get numb fingers also untill I invested into some think foam grips and seemed to help alot! I still get a little numbness but like mentioned before I have to stretch my fingers also!!!! I'll have to check out those Gel gloves!! :salute:

Mine get numb at times also. I have found that smaller grips help me to not hold the grips so tight, which helps prevent the numbness. I have been using the grips Randakk sells on most of my bikes. I like them much better than the fat foam grips.

:hi: I use the grips that came on the bike......I learned years ago :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: that you have to relax your grip....many years of Motocrossing, enduroing andtrail riding tought me how to relax and yet be ready for most anything.... :heat: :party: :party: :mrgreen: :music2: the key to it all is RELAX and be ready.....Bob :swoon: :cool!: :cool!: ...Bob :whistling: :whistling:

Yes my hands get numb but I think lower bars will fix it. Part of it may be the worn out foam grips too.