Dyno tests on GL1200 with SCC?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at 100$ a pop i doubt ill be doing one anytime soon ... id say most of my boost i have over stock comes from execution time response than out out power reading ..but this is just a guess ...my bike mostly all stock parts .....there just not the ones that are suppose to be together...but it has pulled the front wheel off ground at about 75mph when it did it ..certain outside air conditions makes some snappy power in hooch over it monster attitude to start with at times ...pulling the wheel in third gear change only happens on those days ..and has happen only a couple times ......be neat to capture that air condition full time

You may like this bit of Honda dyno action: my CB1123F custom cafe bike with "built" race motor.

[video]https://youtu.be/hRWTXyzNfjg[/video]

Initial startup runs yielded 170+ horsepower on this ancient analog dyno!

Actual horsepower is only about 120-125.

Again, we didn't care about the absolute numbers ...just relative numbers that are useful for tuning.

neat bike ....but im sure a seat of the pants ride would be hair raising and hard to discount too LOL.....sounds great ....when a bike sounds like that .. it obvious its it tip top running order ..just from sound and response at throttle with load on it

Was thinking my Valk had adjusted BHp of close to 170 at the flywheel, Dr Dyno said he had done lots of GL 1500 Valkyrie's Factory rated 100 Hp 100 Lbs Tq and Every one he had Dyno checked was in the high 89hp to 92 hp Rear Wheel Hp , My Gl 1500 was tested stock before Blower. Only headers and Dyno jet kit @ 99 hp...Should have put MORE Air pressure in the rear tire ...LOL I did not know that little trick back then ! :roll: Randakk Bike sounds Good !!

well theres no doubt to me dynos are just as unrelieable as any other way to measure a bike power and performance... and the only real test for bikes is in use test where there doing what they do .....motors can have sweet spots or a motor can be good from bottom to top ...or be bad in spots ...all these things effect how it runs through the gears ....

when i farmed the baddest tractor or meanest tractor i operated was not the one with the most horse power ...it was the one that woiuldnt give up its power when pulled on and it broke everything that hooked up to it at some point .....same with bikes i think ...a well performing lower powered bike can beat a higher power bike if its overall power is quicker in execution time ...so i dont think dynos is the tell all people make it out to be ....now tuning tool yes ....as was mention

Okay folks. Single run for Joe's Hooch on dyno is $75.This will give hp and torque at different rpm's. Exhaust gas analyzer will also be used to detect lean or rich burn. So now we need a payer to collect the donations and pay the tab. And we need donations to the payer. Any volunteers? By the way the number to the shop with the dyno is 1-407-733-1261 operators name is Les. If anyone wants to check on the type of service.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168977#p168977:ygscigc2 said:
Randakk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:05 pm[/url]":ygscigc2]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168814#p168814:ygscigc2 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:21 am[/url]":ygscigc2]
Honda claims 94hp with the stock carbs. After reading all the conversion pages, I haven't seen any objective testing results published. Most conversions seem to provide easier maintenance (1 carb vs 4), but I haven't ran across any results that compare horsepower/torque before and after the conversion. I'm looking for dyno tests, 1/4 mile ETs, top end results, anything that objectively proves 1 is better than 4 for performance. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Randakk has dyno test results for the Gl1000 with regular carbs vs 2 dual-throated carbs that show an increase over the stock hp. Think he could be talked into doing the same tests on the Gl1200?

Mostly - dyno testing is an excellent tuning aid that is much safer than high speed road testing. That's why it's excellent for initial setup prior to actual competition. It doesn't really "prove" much unless you test the same machine ("before-and-after") on the same dyno, with the same dyno software, on the same day with the same weather and the same (skilled) dyno operator. In my experience, a fair number of dyno operators are not really very familiar with their equipment.

The absolute values derived aren't usually that important or meaningful. The relative values after changing a single variable are much mote important.

Before and after dyno testing will usually cost about $200 and up depending on how much time is actually needed to make changes.

hmm well this cant happen with hooch at all cause stock carbs can not run this bike at all ....this will just be a measure of what hooch is .....this SCC setup is the only thing that has ran this bike ....and at times it seems hooch will suck the bowl down on the weber carb too ......

as far as the dyno guy doing this it seems this is his machine ....and who better to operate it ....

as for hooch ...bike week was here just this week and we got close to daytona but not quite there were many places to go ...rode with quite a big group ...hooch got many comments on how it lifts up during gear changes ...it is very snappy acting ...and this is with the safety long twist throttle set i use to keep the bucking down ....

so though it wont be a before and after ...im sure there will be intrest in the results ....seems most are wanting numbers to look at ...its the best we can try to do with a bike that has no before to speak of :thanks:

yah be interesting to see exhaust reading as i did all carb work with no analyzing tools at all ..except me ....as far as power and torque numbers go ...i hope to get those in the four stages of carb exhaust reading also ..as this seems to be a better way to enplane on how the bike accelerates better than stock setups do and show the instant response in numbers i hope...not sure you get that reading but hope to

my my eric ..iseen a thread at ngw where someone wanted to know if there was anymore 1200 lower end bulld and 1000/1100head bikes out there besides ...HOOCH / B GIRL / SHTIZO builds and now it seems whole thread is gone ...what kind of policy is that ...man the moderation there ...or maybe i just cant find it anymore ...maybe its moved ...things like this is why i drop ngw totally ..funny how fuel injected mods ...weber dual mods ....supercharge mods ...and others are excepted there ...but a simple ? on 1200 mod in 1000 bike with early heads is tabo there it seems ...im not crazy i seen the thread just this morning and now i cant find it sheesh

No, there's a current question from a guy there. I met him and donated a block to his 77 two summers ago. He has the bug and just picked up a 1200 to toss in. If someone gets a dyno run in, and if the numbers are substantially different, I suspect there will be more. For no questions asked results though, someone needs to do a dyno with 1200 ignition, cams, carbs. Then a head transplant with stock carbs, stock ignition. Then one with C5, then one with single carb, stock ignition, then one with C5. A lot of dyno runs with a lot of work in between. I don't have the money for that. I'm scraping to get new head gaskets and a new ignition.

While all those tests will show just how much each improves the performance. And I'd be curious to know those levels. The overall performance of Joe's build compared to the stock numbers will be interesting.

people that need all that are just flakes and discounters ...no one at least not me cares one bit about when ones opinion is so honda knows best that it would take all that to prove a point ..they would still discount it ...as fstsix posted the honda cv carb are totally not a performance carb set up in any way ...i agree with him ....

obviously you didnt see the thread that was deleted there this morning at all ...the guy wanted to know if there were any more 1200 lower end 1100/1000 head modded bikes out besides hooch b girl and your bike ...nothing about dyno test or weather it was better than stock or anything like that ...just a plain ? ...and it was deleted ...for what and why ...no claims were made just ? ...it like they disfavor this mod and it wont be on there forum ...i find that excessive moderation ..in my view

it makes no difference what the dyno says it will be discounted im sure ..it been that way from the first day i started this build yrs ago as it is today ...but i personally will do and show fellow oldwingers my work despite deleted threads on other forums ....

i have thich skin and a fast bike and dont mind showing other winger my work and hide nothing

i guess this dyno run if it happens at all ..is to try and put numbers to it ....i certainly cant afford it ..and others here suggested a pitch in to get one

its a shame such good work get discounted by ridicules standards from cheap opinions from a keyboard discounters that cost nothing to do .....to taint something a certain way ..in my opinion

Those who claim the manufacturer knows best have there heads stuck in the sand and pay no attention to reality ... if the manufacturer knows best then why don't professional racers take motorcycles straight from the showroom floor to the track ?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170028#p170028:1lqh7cdb said:
Mysteryrider » 38 minutes ago[/url]":1lqh7cdb]
Those who claim the manufacturer knows best have there heads stuck in the sand and pay no attention to reality ... if the manufacturer knows best then why don't professional racers take motorcycles straight from the showroom floor to the track ?
Well I can think of reliability for one reason. Push an engine closer to it's limits then things start breaking.
Sure there are plenty of things can be changed to increase an engines output but those have to be weighed against cost also.

Modern vehicle manufactures, be it bike or auto, get shot down a lot on this forum and I think that's just wrong. My 06 van with a 292 V8 beats the pants off the 70's, 80's and 90's vans I've had in power, economy, and reliability. They all had bigger engines.
I'm not a purist by any means, but the manufacturers have done a very good job especially in the last 10 years.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170030#p170030:v1xfjxo4 said:
dan filipi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:39 pm[/url]":v1xfjxo4]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170028#p170028:v1xfjxo4 said:
Mysteryrider » 38 minutes ago[/url]":v1xfjxo4]
Well I can think of reliability for one reason. Push an engine closer to it's limits then things start breaking.
Sure there are plenty of things can be changed to increase an engines output but those have to be weighed against cost also.

Modern vehicle manufactures, be it bike or auto, get shot down a lot on this forum and I think that's just wrong. My 06 van with a 292 V8 beats the pants off the 70's, 80's and 90's vans I've had in power, economy, and reliability. They all had bigger engines.
I'm not a purist by any means, but the manufacturers have done a very good job especially in the last 10 years.

I'm not knocking the manufacturer's in the least I understand there's allot of things they have to consider that the end user doesn't when moding it to suit what they want but to say they know best for all circumstances doesn't work either also considering technology as advanced allot since the 70's and 80's thus making some things on our beloved wings outdated with better available today to add to them that wasn't around when they where designed and built . There is a happy medium in all things and no absolutes on either side my main issue is with those who knock mods like Joe has done with hooch . And yes I know there's none of those folks here luckily

The post is still there. Click on active topics after you've read it. How does a simple discussion with valid points of question turn in to a forum bashing contest. Just because people choose to stay reserved about our mods doesn't make them wrong or right or anything, and in the end ---we all get to ride our bikes.

People don't comment about the build cause not many have done it. They don't know. If they choose to stay stock, what's wrong with that? If they point out that dyno machines vary by operator, so what? They speak from experience. Research shows 9 out of 10 people who try and port changes to heads, make them worse because they really don't know what they're doing. The single carb vs four carbs.... Who the heck cares? Do what you want, report what you like, but in the end, everyone gets to form and keep, and should be able to express, their opinion. Thick skin????

Calling people flakes and discounters, whatever that means, just alienates people. Not posting it there, and posting it here... What does that say?

i stated from the get go i might not be finding it ...now someone says it there ..it was in the teck forum why was it moved ..not trying to bash anyone .....you could have mention that in your last post and it would have been over ...

truth is ones word on things and back by vids and others who seen bike perform should not be discounted as unreliable ..that a slam to all oldwingers ....i not a member there and dont go around chasing threads from one place to another...just something im not use to ...and again i said i might not be finding it ....dont try and make me out to be the bad guy here ...ngw people have been here all day it seems this could have been cleared up this morning

Truth here is Joe feels he gets singled out and doesn't get the credit he deserves.
When he saw "Hooch" in that thread then couldn't find the thread, he immediately thought he was being singled out. Am I right Joe?

My own observation, there does seem to be more acceptance of fuel injection and dual Webber mods than there is of single carbs. Why that would be I don't know for sure but I think the dual Webbers are accepted because Randakk has done it, and single is less accepted because he wrote a bad review of the singles he tried and many highly trust his opinions. Personally I don't agree with his opinion of single carbs.

I have never run anything on a dyno, only once saw a bike run on one at a bike show.
From what I know, which isn't much, running his bike on a dyno should give us some basis for comparison but I don't think Joe should have to prove himself with it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170041#p170041:2liul9s5 said:
dan filipi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:24 pm[/url]":2liul9s5]
Truth here is Joe feels he gets singled out and doesn't get the credit he deserves.
When he saw "Hooch" in that thread then couldn't find the thread, he immediately thought he was being singled out. Am I right Joe?

My own observation, there does seem to be more acceptance of fuel injection and dual Webber mods than there is of single carbs. Why that would be I don't know for sure but I think the dual Webbers are accepted because Randakk has done it, and single is less accepted because he wrote a bad review of the singles he tried and many highly trust his opinions. Personally I don't agree with his opinion of single carbs.

I have never run anything on a dyno, only once saw a bike run on one at a bike show.
From what I know, which isn't much, running his bike on a dyno should give us some basis for comparison but I don't think Joe should have to prove himself with it.

Well said and I agree. :salute: