engine redo!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevej's wing

Reaction score
Been working on the engine I am thinking of spliting the case and cleaning the bores and installing new rings.
Question, this 1100 engine so far is really clean and like new, starter drive is like new and so is everything else I have been coming across.
But I have come across something that really has me concerned, number 4 cylinder piston does not come all the way up to the bore of the block like the rest of the pistons, it has no noticeable movement at the top of the stroke on that piston but it is just short by about an 1/8 of inch from the top of the bore.
Is this right, could I have a bad rod bearing or a bend rod?
I guess I will split the case to find out, ( really did not want to split the case because of how clean it is)!
Can you guys give me some input on this new development?
Thanks Steve J. :help:

If a rod bearing was that bad, it would have a serious, major knock! How did it run? I'm guessing a bent rod. If you turn the crank slightly back and forth, you'll hear a clunk if the rod bearing is that far gone. I suppose a very badly worn wrist pin and/or piston bore would also cause this, but would also cause one hell of a knock!

It's possible, though unlikely, that the piston or rod is simply not correct, or that the crankshaft wasn't machined properly. It'll be interesting to know what's up in there.

I used black Permatex, dabbed on with a rubber-gloved finger. Made sure there wasn't any excess in the crankcase, but it sat for several days befort the oil went in, so I wasn't worried about it if any did.

As far as clunking, my '81 engine had bad wrist pins, worn out rod and main bearings and it still never clunked when I turned it by hand. All 4 pistons and everything about them was found worn. When I split the case, it was the first time I could actually make everything clunk and boy clunk it did:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjnwxRwnU08[/video]