First GWRRA Ride

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
Go grab you an adult beverage, cup of joe, or make that run to the head because this is probably going to go long. Just sayin'! :yes:

I had marked today on the calendar as my first attempt at riding with GWRRA after picking up a copy of the Riverside chapter's newsletter at Highland Cycles a few weeks ago. They were doing a ride to meet up with the Temecula chapter for their monthly meeting. The ride was to start in Riverside, of course, at 7:00 AM, which meant I needed to leave the house at about 6:15. :shock: On a Saturday. :shock: :shock:

I started preparations the night before. I stopped on the way home to pick up a J&M headset, then gassed up the bike. I wiped the Wing down, installed the J&M headset in my helmet and got everything ready to go. My oldest daughter said there was no waay in heck she was not going to ride along, so she got herself ready, too. We were both a little giddy the night before and the excitement made it kind of hard to find sleep.

As usual, when it's something I want to do, I was up before the alarm went off and out of bed. Some cofffee, a good warmup of the bike and we headed for Riverside. Light traffic meant for a pretty quick trip and before we knew it, we were pulling up to the gathering of Wing riders. They all looked me over pretty well as I rolled up and that's when nerves started setting in. It was broken pretty quickly, though, when one of the members, a big fellow named Steve, walked up and introduced himself. Everybody else followed suite and pretty soon, I had more names floating around in my head than I knew I could keep track of. We were warmly greeted and that was JUST the start! I got some really nice comments on the '83 and I was really happy I had picked up the headset when one of the riders quickly asked if I had a CB. They told me what channel to dial into and so I was good to hit the road. A brief ride meeting was held and it was explained what was to be expected, the general route and a few hand signals were explained.

We rolled from the parking lot in formation and merged onto the freeway. I was smart enough, as the new person, to stay in the back, just ahead of the sweep rider, Steve. I was way, way nervous at this point; even my daughter picked up on it. This was my first time riding with the group. It was my first time riding in formation like this. There were directions given in the parking lot, but did I understand them correctly? My butt was fairly well puckering! :beg: It didn't take but a minute for me to appreciate the CB radio and the communication it allowed between riders. The lead rider and the sweep rider teamed well in taking lanes and making it possible for our group to maneuver safely through traffic. I've pacelined on bicycles at 25-30 mph, your front tire inches from the next guys back tire, but this was way different. Cruising at 70 with bikes all around you and cars everywhere there weren't bikes was a little disconcerting, to me. Eventually, though, I settled down and started doing much better. We started out with eight bikes, but picked up a few stragglers along the way. I think we were 12, or 13 as we rolled into Temecula.

The meeting was held at a Hometown Buffet, so the first order of business was doing as much damage to the buffet as we could. I was still so excited that I didn't do as much damage as I ordinarily would have, but I have to tell you...... There were some dudes there that had to be making the manager a little nervous! The people there were almost over the top friendly. I got my hand shaken so many times, I thought I was going to develop permanent tremors, or something. Even got some hugs. From the ladies, you pervs! :good:

It turns out, there are so many chapters around here that you can pretty much ride with any of them and all of them, if you like. You don't join the chapter, you join the club and you can ride with any and all the chapters you want. Well, now... How cool is THAT?!!? There were people at the Temecula meeting from no less than 5 different chapters. I think we met representatives from all of them.

After an hour of grubbin' and socializing, they got on down to business. Some of it was pretty interesting as they were talking about upcoming events and such. Some of it I could have done without. They did mention there were 33 bikes at the meeting, a couple cages and I think 7 trikes. After awhile, I was pretty done sitting there and I was coffeed out and ready to get back on the bike. Traditionally, they do an after meeting ride and that's what I was hoping for. They mentioned over the radio on the way down, though, that Temecula was doing CPR training afterwards. So, after we all went back out to the parking lot, I knew somebody was doing a ride somewhere, so I started asking around. Sure enough, one of the guys was going to do a backroads trip home. I knew the roads he was talking about from bicycling trips I had done, so I was excited to do it on the Wing.

The trip did not disappoint. We started with a total of eight bikes and one trike. By now, I was much more at ease taking my place in formation. I held my line and kept my distance; following directions from the ride leader. The hills were much easier under power then I remembered on my bicycle and the miles melted under our wheels pretty quickly. I was having so much fun, that I skipped my first chance to bail from the group. I had committed to doing a bicycle ride with a friend of mine upon our return home. I thought I had plenty of time, so stuck with the group instead of peeling off. This was almost a mistake. We got into Canyon Lake and there was road construction. We were compressed down to one lane and it was crawling. While stopped, I glanced at my clock and realized I had made an error. Regardless, I knew there was another bailout coming up and when we came to that, I said my goodbyes over the radio and peeled off. Even on my departure, I was wished well and invited to Riverside's meeting next Sunday.

All in all, I was pretty impressed with the group. They were very nice and I got lots of props for the '83. One guy said the 1100 was one Goldwing he wished he'd have kept. I certainly didn't come away feeling like anybody was looking down their nose at me. One thing they told me, though, was that every chapter is different and that I really should try them all for sometime before I really pick a "home" chapter. Nobody really turned me off, except for the one guy at the buffet. He was kind of scaring me. I was afraid my hand might get in his way. :smilie_happy:

I learned a lot today. I felt like my bicycling experience really did help out. I learned that there are squirrels on motorcycles (the people you want to stay away from) just like there are on group bicycle rides. The importance of holding your line is the same. I thought there were just a lot of similarities, to tell the truth.

We got 152 miles in on the bike and met lots of new friends. I wish I knew their names, but there are just too many floating around in my head! I had a great time and looking forward to the next.

I told you it was long!!

Mark

I meant to fling some pics your way. Sorry, they're in reverse order, too. My bad.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC00999.JPG
    DSC00999.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC01001.JPG
    DSC01001.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC01008.JPG
    DSC01008.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC01009.JPG
    DSC01009.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC01012.JPG
    DSC01012.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC01014.JPG
    DSC01014.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC01016.JPG
    DSC01016.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC01017.JPG
    DSC01017.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC01020.JPG
    DSC01020.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 200
Looks like a great time Mark! I'll be willing to bet that old '83 had no trouble keepin up with those 1800's! :clapping: :Egyptian:

never have rode with a group of gwrra members, i am a member, however there are no chapters in waco. the closest is in killeen. once a year they host a state meet might go to it this year. i have met a few members of gwrra and they were very friendly, and as a member of christian motorcyclist association i enjoy there company as well. and i see u had a good ride and look like nice folks.

I had a fantastic time and I think my daughter did, as well.

The '83 kept up just fine, but they didn't exactly try and run away from me, either.

It was a really nice day. A little cold in the early morning part of the ride and a little windy on the way back. Still, there was lots of sunshine and mild temps.

Mark

Looks like you had a wonderful time! I'm happy for ya! :clapping:
I was a member for prolly 13 years I even retained my membership for a couple years after I sold my 1500. My wife & I have made some lifetime friendships!
GWRRA is struggling here in Wisconsin. Lots of Chapters have folded. Attendance at the District Rally has dropped alot in the past 10 years. We used to get anywhere fron 1500 to 2000 people to attend the rally. The last one I was to in 08 we were lucky to have 200 people.
For the most part the core members of are chapter are gone. Some passed away, got divorved, have grandkids or have sold their bikes. And when you don't get new members to fill the void.......
Most of our friends (Former Chapter Members) still get together but not for riding which is sad.
What I like about it is you can go to a lot of events or just a few. Theirs not alot of "Rules" or "Protocal" to follow.
I was Assistant Chapter Director & Chapter Director. Had a Lot of fun!

silverbullet":2xw0cjb5 said:
Looks like you had a wonderful time! I'm happy for ya! :clapping:
I was a member for prolly 13 years I even retained my membership for a couple years after I sold my 1500. My wife & I have made some lifetime friendships!
GWRRA is struggling here in Wisconsin. Lots of Chapters have folded. Attendance at the District Rally has dropped alot in the past 10 years. We used to get anywhere fron 1500 to 2000 people to attend the rally. The last one I was to in 08 we were lucky to have 200 people.
For the most part the core members of are chapter are gone. Some passed away, got divorved, have grandkids or have sold their bikes. And when you don't get new members to fill the void.......
Most of our friends (Former Chapter Members) still get together but not for riding which is sad.
What I like about it is you can go to a lot of events or just a few. Theirs not alot of "Rules" or "Protocal" to follow.
I was Assistant Chapter Director & Chapter Director. Had a Lot of fun!

All you had to do was look around the room and you could see the membership was a lot of older folks. There were a few my age and maybe even fewer younger than me, but most were probably 10+ years older. It's not hard to imagine that as these older folks drop off, be it for change of interest, age, whatever... There just aren't enough newer members coming in.

The problem with a volunteer run organization, like this one, is the fact that very few really want to work. Everybody wants to do the rides, attend the events and do the fun stuff, but when it comes to stepping up to make it happen, most won't. The programs I saw yesterday all seem to have pretty strong support, though. It seems like there are a lot of people working to make it happen, but I looked around the room and didn't see too many coming up behind them.

I'm probably going to sign up and ride with them some. I'm not sure how much I'll be willing to do. Riverside has their meetings on Sundays and that just won't work, for me. Still, I can help out with what I can do and just be part of the group.

Mark

Your absolutly right Mark.
Lets face it, these new & newer wings & triked wings are not cheap & alot of middle age folks that are raising kids simply cannot afford one. The only reason I could afford afford a new 1500 wing @ age 42 was because I inhereted some money. Otherwise their way out of my pricerange. Since I like to live within my means & not live with a lot of dept.
Heck all said & done I'll prolly have 3 grand into my old wing. Its prolly twice what its worth but thats ok because for that money I'll have a nice bike. Plus its MY old Bike!

It takes a lot of time to volunteer for a CD position. Or state director. And none of which you get paid. It can be fun & rewarding. Can also be the oposite.
I don't know if I'll ever join up with GWRRA again. Since I have a Classic Wing & as a whole it seems to be geared to the newer wings & simply because I've been there, done that.

I won't discourage anyone from GWRRA. Had a lot of fun & fond memories!!

silverbullet":1oc7fhew said:
Your absolutly right Mark.
Lets face it, these new & newer wings & triked wings are not cheap & alot of middle age folks that are raising kids simply cannot afford one. The only reason I could afford afford a new 1500 wing @ age 42 was because I inhereted some money. Otherwise their way out of my pricerange. Since I like to live within my means & not live with a lot of dept.
Heck all said & done I'll prolly have 3 grand into my old wing. Its prolly twice what its worth but thats ok because for that money I'll have a nice bike. Plus its MY old Bike!

It takes a lot of time to volunteer for a CD position. Or state director. And none of which you get paid. It can be fun & rewarding. Can also be the oposite.
I don't know if I'll ever join up with GWRRA again. Since I have a Classic Wing & as a whole it seems to be geared to the newer wings & simply because I've been there, done that.

I won't discourage anyone from GWRRA. Had a lot of fun & fond memories!!

I'll buy the "been there, done that". I don't think an oldwing would disqualify you. Of course, I say this after all of one ride with the group, so take it for what it's worth. I just didn't get that feeling this time around.

It's still fairly affordable to buy into a Wing. You can get a decent, low mileage 1500 in the 5k range and that's a machine still supported with parts, accessories and will do everything you want to do within the scope of the club, or open road touring.

Thinking more about this, the thing that probably limits the younger crowds taking part in GWRRA and the like are kids. Kind of hard to ride your motorcycle all day when you have kids to tend to. Once they get to be teenagers, that's another story. Hence the reason most members are in that age group and older. So, maybe I shouldn't be surprised by the age demographics. Perhaps it's perfectly normal, given that such an activity would be really hard with younger kids at home.

Mark

My 3 kids grew up on dirt bikes until they were teens and strated to get into other things. While they were still home we belonged to 3 clubs. the Trailbike sportsmans Association ( a family oriented trailbike club,even the kids held office and voted); the Sacramento Jammers ( a family oriented racing club, hare scrambles, MX, and enduros); and the national Motorcycle Patrol (a first aid orginazation that provided first aid at all M/C races. This kept us busy 51 weekends out of the year. I finaly retired from all of them when I was 60 :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

It’s kind of funny how things work out.

I had such a good time at the GWRRA ride and meeting this past Saturday and was invited to attend the Riverside meeting this Sunday. As much fun as I had, I have a commitment on Sunday mornings with church and family. The meeting place listed is in Norco, which is a fair distance for me to travel, attend a meeting and beat feet back for church. I was kind of bummed about that, but Oh well. :roll:

I get an e-mail last night from the chapter director informing everybody of a change in venue for the meetings. It seems now they meet in Loma Linda…. Real close to my house and an easy jump from there to make church afterwards. :Egyptian:

It’s real funny how things seem to work out sometimes. :yes:

Mark

That is so COOL! :Egyptian: :Egyptian:
I play in our Church Band on Sundays so I know how you feel. I LOVE playing in the band. Wouldn't miss it!

silverbullet":1wf04g7l said:
That is so COOL! :Egyptian: :Egyptian:
I play in our Church Band on Sundays so I know how you feel. I LOVE playing in the band. Wouldn't miss it!
My youngest daughter and I play in the praise team! She is only 14 but a pretty good drummer (watch out Joe...she can fix bikes and play drums!) I play piano. As far as riding on Sunday, our local guys all head out early on Sunday mornings and have to wave....but we ride the bike to church all the time!

....but praise and worship always moves me[/quote said:
And me, I look forward to every Sunday. I've always wanted to play music of some sort all my life. I learned the Congas & other percussion things. I love it. God put this gift in me! :yahoo: