Front and rear linked brakes and the removal there of...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhiterhino

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While on my trip I had the link brake experience and wondered if others have had this experience and if any one has unlinked the brakes...

While running on a fairly narrow two lane road in Montana I desired to stop for some photos and so began stopping fairly fast and went onto the shoulder while still doing about 20 mph. while pushing on the foot pedal fairly hard and waiting for rear wheel slip the front locked and I laid the bike down. I'm glad the shoulder was not too steep and that I was riding with two other guys that helped me pick it up. I had never tested to see which would lock up first on dirt. On hard surfaces you can stop fast using mostly just the rear brake pedal so there is a tendency to develop a bad habit of not using both brakes and a mater of fact. :Doh2:

Has anyone experienced this and has anyone unlinked the brakes and if so did you like the performance afterwards? :headscratch: :headscratch:

ive never had the linked brakes bur i can understand that that would be a big flaw inthe system.....idont think i would like them as what you discribe happening is going to happen no matter what in soft terain conditions or gravel like where i live this system would have to be changed.....the change would require the hoses and devider from early 1100 setup and tecknicly front and rear master set up as the master clylinders would not be matched up with the different set up ...im not sure this would bother me as i would like a back brake that would lock up easy and a front master that would not lock up easy .....given the same situlation i would go this way first to see how it worked .....

seeing as both my wings have linked brakes i can say that it is the biggest mistake honda made with goldwings. i didn't need honda to force me to use both brakes and in situations where only the rear is needed the front is being applied. if you only need to use front brakes you are over working the single disc slowing or stopping a bike that weighs 600 to near 900 lbs not including rider, passenger, and gear. if i could un-link my brakes i would

I believe this can be archived by simply replacing all the lines and divider blocks...
maybe you could even get away with moving the rear divider block to the front, and you would only need lines.
there are man donars in the local salvage yard, I thought about this more than once.
but I have never had the front slide out from under me. and I am sure I have the linked system currently.

I live on a dirt road and I have slid the back tire without the front kicking out.

UPDATE:
just looked and there is a proportioning valve that regulates the pressure front and rear... its supposed to allow less pressure to the right front caliper(which also has smaller pistons than the left side, or the back)
I assume this should make for a 60/40 or 70/30 rear to front stopping effort.
if its working correctly should allow you to feather the hand brake to achive optimal 30/70 rear to front for stopping and dry surface.

BUT I was warned by a long time winger about the linked system on my bike. so I have run quit a few simulated stops on dirt to help me get used to the whole system.
its awsome on dry pavement... and even wet isnt bad. dirt is a bit more tricky but I'v managed to stop very well.
now sand, or loose stuff... IMHO, this system should NEVER be used in the sand or snow.
very very dangerous.

I am sure this can be changed out, use the whole 82' brake system would be the best option.

I think the Linked System must have started in 83 with the new wheels and larger front disks. I bought a pair of disks off an 82 and they were smaller and thinner which means the calipers or or the mounting or both are different.

This winter I will unlink mine just working with the hoses and removing the proportioning valve and see how that works.

If anyone had corrections to what I have just said please correct me.
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Nope never had that happen . Ive got an 83 linked and an 82 not linked and i dont notice any difference with um as far as i know as long as the bike stops inm ok with that .

I have the linked brakes, have never gone down because of them but I avoid loose roads like the plague.

To unlink seems pretty simple. Plug the line leading to the front from the proportioning valve then all that has to be done is tying the 2 front together. I wouldn't think the master cylinder would care if it's pushing one or 2 calipers but there could be a problem where not enough volume is being pushed at a given amount of travel to push them both since it was designed for one. Would have to try it and see.

dan filipi":1czuaw1v said:
I have the linked brakes, have never gone down because of them but I avoid loose roads like the plague.

You just need to stay outta the sand. :hihihi:

dan filipi":1czuaw1v said:
To unlink seems pretty simple. Plug the line leading to the front from the proportioning valve then all that has to be done is tying the 2 front together. I wouldn't think the master cylinder would care if it's pushing one or 2 calipers but there could be a problem where not enough volume is being pushed at a given amount of travel to push them both since it was designed for one. Would have to try it and see.

The right side useing only about half the volume might make up for this some. That is, if it's even a problem. If it really was that much of a problem, I wonder if a guy could just use a master cylinder from an 82 with unliked?