FRONT FORK OIL SEALS

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl62cycles

Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed K&L front fork oil seals.Have read that their up to quality as the honda oem being NOK brand.And K&L are ARS brand.Also made in japan.

carl62cycles":1enbnvfy said:
Has anyone ever installed K&L front fork oil seals.Have read that their up to quality as the honda oem being NOK brand.And K&L are ARS brand.Also made in japan.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

joedrum":3rrfj39h said:
i havnt but need to change to somthing to besides the leaky seals i have :headscratch: :mrgreen:

Hi,Joe.I got them allready, with a set of bushing to go with it still waiting to receive.Hope they work.Apparently these I got install with the spring upwards :? . The lettering and spring are on the same side,at least on these i got.I'll try to search to see if there is something on the net about them.Since they are made in japan I thought i'll give'm a try.Did the forks in 06 but forgot which was the one that leaked,so this time i figured to get the bushings too.

joedrum":2b1magyf said:
i havnt but need to change to somthing to besides the leaky seals i have :headscratch: :mrgreen:
Yeah Before you'll end up having to change the tubes,make sure there's oil still on them :beg: . : :mrgreen:

yeah carl the busching are so important to change ....seals will surcome to bad busching quickly ...seals dont get change any more unless the busching do ....iwill keep the oil in them.....my bikes have have air valve caps on them on both forks to make it easy to add oil to ....all the other caps i have im going to tap to convert them as i need them for bikes not yet put together... :mrgreen:

I did the seals 2nd week after I got her and they lasted 2 weeks so I did them again but this time I remembered this old girl has done some big miles and she is an older lady so I tried to order bushings but only lowers were in stock in Oz (2 days to arrive) the uppers had to come from Japan or some where and would take 3 - 6 weeks so the old upper bushings are still in there.
Best thing I did was polish the tubes with 4000 grit (not 400) 4000 grit wet sanding paper. This takes a little time but if you wipe down then dip the paper in water, wipe up then dip, wipe down then dip and keep going with that for a bit longer yet you wont scratch the chrome but you will remove any small burs in the surface caused by stone hits and this I think made the differance, those seals have been in for 2 years now :grin:
Trick part was how much oil to put in. My manual shows xxx for UK models and yyy for US models and both those countries are 1/2 a world away from here so I put in less than UK and more than US :rtfm:
Good luck :cool:

joedrum":3pdpwmtx said:
yeah carl the busching are so important to change ....seals will surcome to bad busching quickly ...seals dont get change any more unless the busching do ....iwill keep the oil in them.....my bikes have have air valve caps on them on both forks to make it easy to add oil to ....all the other caps i have im going to tap to convert them as i need them for bikes not yet put together... :mrgreen:

Taping them,Good idea, :yes:

Dave":3rodcuv9 said:
I did the seals 2nd week after I got her and they lasted 2 weeks so I did them again but this time I remembered this old girl has done some big miles and she is an older lady so I tried to order bushings but only lowers were in stock in Oz (2 days to arrive) the uppers had to come from Japan or some where and would take 3 - 6 weeks so the old upper bushings are still in there.
Best thing I did was polish the tubes with 4000 grit (not 400) 4000 grit wet sanding paper. This takes a little time but if you wipe down then dip the paper in water, wipe up then dip, wipe down then dip and keep going with that for a bit longer yet you wont scratch the chrome but you will remove any small burs in the surface caused by stone hits and this I think made the differance, those seals have been in for 2 years now :grin:
Trick part was how much oil to put in. My manual shows xxx for UK models and yyy for US models and both those countries are 1/2 a world away from here so I put in less than UK and more than US :rtfm:

Hi Dave,I was thinking of polishing them with some sort of chrome cleaner.Will check on that 4000 grit or even finer grit though.
Capacity 1980-1981 240cc (8.0 oz)
1982 290cc (9.8 oz)

Dave":1099anrs said:

Nice muffler,another one on the left side too?Which bike has them :headscratch: :good:

carl62cycles":3qo915hv said:
Nice muffler,another one on the left side too?Which bike has them :headscratch: :good:

Off topic mate :laptop: but anyway, header pipes chopped off real short then it's 2008- Honda 900 Hornet cross over and mufflers. My honda dealer says he's got 9 or 10 more sets lying around, seems to be the No1 hot up for a Hornet is a new system.
:cool: