Front progressive spring install

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medcoman

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 goldwing standard
I just bought new progressive springs for my 82 wing. Is there any certain way to install? Thanks Medcoman

If I remember right the tighter twist in the spring goes to the top.
Maybe someone can back me up on this.

I experimented with different weight fork oils but finally decided ATF gave me the best suspension feel.

I run mine with no air.

That's what I like about this group, If there wasn't any fun it just wouln't be right. Thanks for the reply because I didn't know whether to just exchange the springs only. Medcoman

The differing coil frequency (tightness) means different parts of the spring will be responding based upon the load delivered. This is true regardless of the orientation of the spring.

Where and for how much did you get the progressive springs? I'm looking to upgrade soon.

The instructions indicate that the spring direction doesn't matter. You will use less fork oil with progressive springs. The set that I got had very good instructions.
If you haven't taken the forks apart before, check out the tool for putting the caps back on, I highly recommend making one.

Thanks for the replies. As far as where I got the springs, I don't what company I used but I got them off e-bay.
I think I gave around $75.00, no shipping. I need a air cap for the left fork if someone has one. Thanks

Check around you can make an insertion tool out of a 2x2" piece of wood that will help you get the threaded plugs back in. You need to compress the spring a bit before you can screw the plugs back in. Please let us how it works out. I need to swap spring soon. I hear lots of good things about the Progressive springs. Is your part # for the springs 11-1102?

oldwrench thanks for reply. Send it to me and I'll send you postage.