gl 1100 jugs boring

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl62cycles

Reaction score
What could go wrong?

Attachments

• engine 282.JPG
    engine 282.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 132
  • engine 281.JPG
    engine 281.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 130
  • engine 283.JPG
    engine 283.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 131
:shock: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? Looks like some really bad wear top to bottom...on one side! :builder:

I've got an '81 engine ready to go... free! (Just pay shipping!....uh, that usually runs around $265...) (And it might need some valves.....and a few springs......cams cleaned up.......gasket kit........clutch plates.....o-rings......water pump seal........and a partidge in a pear tree! :smilie_happy: )

AApple":cjq0dh9j said:
:shock: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? Looks like some really bad wear top to bottom...on one side! :builder:
The jugs are rusty cause they been sitting for years now.Maybe 6 years at least.That jug was a messup from the person that bored it.I'm showing one of the cylinders,the rest came out ok (BUT YOU NEED ALL THE JUGS TO BE DONE RIGHT :mrgreen: ) the deep grooves at the inner bottom with subsequential cracks is done by the machine itself.I guess is failure to grip properly the piece to bore or the boring tip itself comming loose under stress at work.

Looks like it was bored off-center. I wondered if that was a crack down there, or just a scratch/gouge. Just goes to show ya don't always get what ya pay for... :sensored:

The deep groove wasn't there(before the machining)which produced the cylinder separation at the bottom.The small crack at the left could be from too thin cylinder wall if jug wasn't centered correct.I've sent it to bore 0.75mm over standard.Cylinder one had a tiny nick from a broken valve braking off and gouging the cyl. wall a bit.Would have known the outcome of the machining :swoon: .I would have just deglazed jugs and period :mrgreen: .