gl 4cyl.- 2 coils +2 pulsars = easy plug wiring

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanbw

Reaction score
I was looking at another forum I am on, and found this from back when I was working on my bike still, (well, I guess I still am a little) I don't think I posted this here, so I thought it may help someone down the road, can't speak to the six cyl I don't have one -
Howdy again all, while on my quest to exhaust every penny I have (already been through the dimes and nickels), I am going through my aspy and "cleaning it up", that idea went out the window long ago.
So while the engine is out and bike is pretty much stripped I decided to clean and check all wire connections. I have the coil set ready to go, as soon as my new plug caps and wires get here I'll get them back together.
While I was working on them I started thinking about the ignition system. With four cylinders, two coils and two pulsers run off the crank that means one thing......wasted spark ignition. it's a very simple system and used on a lot of bikes and small equipment engines.
This of course means that plug 1 and 2 are fired at the same time, now that doesn't mean both are making power, while plug one is firing on compression, number two is on exhaust stroke hence the "wasted spark".
This really doesn't mean much except that there is no need to worry about wiring all that much. Now what I mean by that is the coil on the right has number 1 and 2 plug on it, which wire goes to 1 or 2 doesn't matter because both plugs fire at the same time anyway.
So as long as the wires on the right coil go to 1 and 2 and the left coil goes to 3 and 4, thats all that matters, the coils cant differentiate between their respective wires, they fire both.
I marked my bracket so you can see what I am talking about.
Right coil=1 and 2
Left coil=3 and 4
Thats all that matters. which wire on right coil goes to 1 and 2 doesn't matter, same with left coil for 3 and 4.
20150319_195719.jpg