GL1000 Exhaust Adapter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbishop

Reaction score
This might sound stupid, but being new to goldwings, and well, exhaust stuff in general, does anyone know what adapter a guy would need to convert the 79 GL1000's exhaust to 1 3/4" for an aftermarket muffler? I took the collar from my new mufflers my wife got me for my birthday into O'Reilly's the other day, and looked at their exhaust parts and pieces, and I just can't wrap my head around exactly what size I'd need. I know rol-tech.com has a list of the part numbers for some of the adapters and stuff Oreilly's carries, but I'm just not sure what ID/OD the exhaust headers are. Any help would be much appreciated, and my apologies for the stupid question!

Attachments

• adapters.jpg
    adapters.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 208
Thanks. The bike's at my dad's place and I was planning to ride it home once I get all my parts on it and running, but I don't think the 5-0 would appreciate me riding without them.. If I had it in front of me I'd just measure the header. I'll figure it out.

I needed that answer too the cans I am getting from J&P Cycle are 1 3/4 and they do not come with the adapter.

When I figure it out, I'll post and let ya know what I get figured out size-wise!

Plus I checked what they look like with my chrome tailpipe extensions this morning, they look awesome and I think the length will be ideal, I just need to verify clearance for the bags I am replacing the vetters with.

I have one on the wife's UM/Hyosung 650, not too loud and a good base tone. One of the few that did not make that small bore motor sound like a tractor, but when you open her up she does bark at you, but the sound is behind you, and not under your ear, that's important as I am hearing impaired, and too much loudness starts the ringing which is not fun.

Yea, I feel you brother, feels like being underwater, and the ringing seems like it never stops. My good time is in the morning, but once the noise of the day kicks in, it sucks.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124216#p124216:11ursk1w said:
krakum1967 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:58 pm[/url]":11ursk1w]
Yea, I feel you brother, feels like being underwater, and the ringing seems like it never stops. My good time is in the morning, but once the noise of the day kicks in, it sucks.
I know this is :0fftopic: but I can't remember 1 minute of pure silence. Tinnitus sucks. :rant:

For budget reasons, I may actually look at those leftovers from the sportsters and other Harleys on Fleabay. In my brief searches last night, they had some pretty good deals on the PAIRS. I like the can I put on the other bike, but it would be around 150 for a pair, I saw options as low as 40 a pair with free shiping on Fleabay.

Finally got my new muffler and exhaust manifolds in the same place and solved my problem. :yahoo: The specs on the mufflers say the inlet is 1 3/4, but forgot they sent a collar to adapt that down to 1 1/2. I put my caliper on the exhaust manifold and the OD of the manifold is 1 5/8. Pulled up the rol-tech spec sheet from my first post and found Part 548554, which adapts 1 5/8 ID to 1 1/2 OD. OReillys has them for 2.69/each, but not in the stores, but no big. I'll order them Friday when I get paid unless I can track them down locally.

Attachments

• DSCN5858.JPG
    DSCN5858.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 92
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124398#p124398:z0umt39a said:
krakum1967 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:50 pm[/url]":z0umt39a]
For budget reasons, I may actually look at those leftovers from the sportsters and other Harleys on Fleabay. In my brief searches last night, they had some pretty good deals on the PAIRS. I like the can I put on the other bike, but it would be around 150 for a pair, I saw options as low as 40 a pair with free shiping on Fleabay.

I'd actually considered doing this myself and it's a great route to take from a cost perspective. I really like the slash cut look on the pipes my wife got me so I'm gonna stick with them, but if she didn't get me those, I'd definitely be going down that road. Let me know how this turns out. Not sure on the size of the Harley pipes or if you'd need adapters, etc, but I'd be interested in finding out!

Oh, I did check out NAPA too Kraig, and they have a 1 5/8 ID to 1 3/4 OD adapter in one of their catalogs. p/n BK 735-7328. Not sure on pricing or if they stock it in stores, but the NAPA price for my 1 5/8 ID to 1 1/2 OD adapter was 4.57/each.. so double what they cost at O'Really's.