Gl1000 fuel gage

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronko37

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is a reletivley common problem but now that the bike is running well i want to start tackling some of these minor issues. The fuel gage does not work. I pulled the sending unit and it "looks" fine. Should i just replace it or are there other things i should look for? Are there any electrical tests that i can do to check for current? I dunno. I tried my test light with no results but i am not very swift with electronics. What to do first?

see if it's getting 7v. Is your temp gage working right? Check the wire connections that they are clean and tight.

If you jumper the yellow/white at the sending unit to a ground while the key is on, the gauge should swing up.
If it does then suspect the sending unit, if it doesn't then suspect the 7 volt regulator or bad gauge.

Also if the gauge does swing up, touch the yellow/white to the green at the sending unit.
That green supplies ground thru the sending unit so jumping to it confirms that ground source is good.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132323#p132323:mxgg02ff said:
dan filipi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:57 am[/url]":mxgg02ff]
Also if the gauge does swing up, touch the yellow/white to the green at the sending unit.
That green supplies ground thru the sending unit so jumping to it confirms that ground source is good.
:good: :yes:

You can try soaking the rectangular box of the sending unit in white vinegar. Or you can be more aggressive. I gently pried the 3 tabs to separate the halves so I could monitor the progress. There are pictures of this on the innerweb, possibly at NGW.com I soaked it in The Works toilet bowl cleaner for ~ a minute at a time to get the rust out of there. The winding cleaned up nicely. Rinse w/ a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid in the Works. After cleaning, spray w/ contact cleaner and then maybe some wd40. I had it hooked up backwards at first, made the temp gauge work wierd and the fuel gauge not at all.

OKay if the gauge swings you can pull the sending unit and attaching a ground jumper.. turn key on and using your hand move the float up and down using slight side to side pressure and see if the gauge moves appropriately... I had a 62 t-bird that only went to 1/2 tank and then showed empty until it got to half tank and then read correctly to empty... I fixed it by correcting a bent wipe contact..

Best test get a meter set to ohms..hook it up and move the arm the readings on the meter should change..if not them most likely the little copper wire that connects the coil tot eh leads is broken..if you take the box off you can see if it's intact...