GL1100 PVC Manifold and 34-3 outta box Carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming right along with the Wife's 82 GL1100. Conversion was really easy, should be downhill from here. Clear coat came in Friday, going camping for Easter, bike should be ready.

[video]https://youtu.be/BDde9Sf6USc[/video]

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168436#p168436:16uqomay said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:26 pm[/url]":16uqomay]
Sounds great! :clapping: :yes:
+1 :good:

DKL...has been srait up with his SCC work.....and its joedrum opinion ,,,for the people who want most closely plug and play SCC set up ....the dkl system is the one to go for ...fact is to me ...the vw carb is very close to stock in performance .....and not really a down grade at all ...

there are other systems out there like the progressive carb weber 2 barrels and there copies ...but these carbs are diffinitly epa junk carbs like the stock carbs are and have many foughts built in to make them less than a carb as the epa idgits intended for them to be .....

me personally ive worked with the 32-34 motorcraft weber copy ....and have got it to where it will trounce the stock carb system easy ...but this was certainly no plug and play at all .....in fact not even close ....my single set up is a monster on my motor i made by part swapping yrs and the 1200 short block it uses ...so it is nothing like the stock bikes others have ....it is a thirsty gas sucking monster that will really turn the gas charge into back tire ripping torque that just dont quit .....and on the other hand can get close to 60mpg with some hand control of the throttle .....but again its no plug and play at all ....before all the mod work done to this carb it took great hand control on throttle to get 35-36mpg

so it is my advice to anyone wanting to do single carb to there oldwing cause stock carbs are just wore out and have been nothing but trouble and you want something that just plain works way better ....the DKL system is it ...ive seen many fail with this set up ...to me there must be something there doing wrong or the manifold is not sealing good and they just dont see it or refuse to recognize that ....ive dealt with the vw carb one time ...and while completely drunk going on for about a day and night id say........ i dialed one in easier than any work ive ever done with the dft series ...plain and simple ...so without any reservations the vw set up is the closest plug and play there is ...and the carb is basically epa undamaged ...witch makes all the sense in the world why it is able to dial in ......and the DKL pvc system is all thats needed and very cheap ..with a skill level that many can meet ..... :thanks:

I think the only real issue with folks having trouble with this build is that there are solex clone carbs that are just plane junk from new.

I can vouch for that solex low quality clone. The one I have the threads aren't very good for 1 thing. That can lead to leaks easily. Fortunately mine has been one of the better crap carbs :smilie_happy:

well unless there holes in the casting and or some other easy obvious discount ...i believe the clone story is just that and excuse to cover ones failure to get it done right ...but its just my opinion ..thats all ...i bet i can dial in the clone though

well there is thread seal and other things to stop that :hihihi: im a optimist :builder:

Yeah totally. Weirdnesses in the clone are nothing that can't be overcome pretty easily.
Main thing I had trouble with was a banjo fitting on the fuel line, no standard fittings I had laying around would fit it to adapt to a hose barb. Out came my npt tap done deal.

This is my second import carb VW34-3, I have not had any carb issues with either one,,yet,,,but who knows what tomorrow will bring. I am not a carb guy, but with some fiddling around I find the right adjustment, so they must be simple.

Latest posts