goldwing rear car tire....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
macka":1lo8xvyr said:
Pluribus":1lo8xvyr said:
Lol....OK, so did something bad happen?

No I think the issue at hand is getting the right sized tire for the bike

From what I've read ths IS the problem. It might work for the 1800 guys, but I had a rather square'ish Harley tire on my bike when I bought it, and the handling was terible on turns.

If you dig that feeling like your backend is going to wash out on you during a turn, go for it.

~O~

Maybe a Yugo tire might fit.... :smilie_happy:
One of the issues is also the actual design of the tire. Auto tires are not made to run on the sidewalls, so cornering is a big boo-boo waiting to happen. Add in that auto tires are not really rounded on the sides, makes turning at all a bit harder, as well as making the ride harsher.
If you're running a hack, a car tire would be fine....unless you have a leaner rig. :read:

From what I've read there are guys with a car tire that say they love it.

Then there are guys without a car tire that say it won't work.

I think the only way to know for certain is to do it for a first hand experience to know for sure.

My understanding is that car tires and motorcycle tires are made with a slightly different inner circumference just so they won't be used that way....the common wisdom in the sidecar community is that it is a huge no-no. It can blow off the rim really easily and you stretch the tire beyond it's strength to mount it....again, a big NO-NO....death or maiming awaits...

Now that is said....just be sure to do your homework really well and find out the true story to your satisfaction before you commit one of the two contacts with life that you have on a bike to a cobbled together, dis-similar use.

Anyone I have ever talked to in the sidecar community planning to go to a car tire has a special wheel built like I did with an actual automobile rim made up to a goldwing or whatever marque the bike is, hub....we used a comstar hub on mine with steel webs and auto rim bolted to it.....the webs are welded to the rim.... all done in a jig by a professional rigger/fabber/welder.

Please be careful,
Brian in NM

as brian has said the wheel has to match the tire...ihave everything worked outto use a car tire one one of my bikes except for the rim being wide enough ...the comstar wheel is easy to modify to asnother rim and thats my plan ....but so far i havnt found the right ri to work and its on the bottom of my projects list ....but there is no doutb that a car tire is better and safer than motorcycl tires hands down if its in it the right rim IMHO ....and one day i will have it .... :builder:

jrscamhlspouse":bnwrp0gu said:
Why go to all that trouble? Just buy a bike tire and be done with it.
if the cost factor isn't too high it would be a one time modification and he could go with a car tire or a bike tire. not that i'm promoting this. personally i think it would be a bad idea for me to use a car tire from the vids i've seen

jrscamhlspouse":9lil1uit said:

Because car tires last much longer than m/c tires and costs much less. I think that's what people on the dark side say. The dark side founder claims he put car tire on a Valkyrie (w/o sidecar, leaner or otherwise) and rode all around the north american continent w/o any problem, rain or shine.

I have to say that it looks funny having car tire though...

AApple":1hxppsrz said:
Maybe a Yugo tire might fit.... :smilie_happy:
One of the issues is also the actual design of the tire. Auto tires are not made to run on the sidewalls, so cornering is a big boo-boo waiting to happen. Add in that auto tires are not really rounded on the sides, makes turning at all a bit harder, as well as making the ride harsher.
If you're running a hack, a car tire would be fine....unless you have a leaner rig. :read:

I know of at least one person that ran a car tire for a lot of years on his CB750 and NEVER had a problem in the twisties. I've watched him drag the pegs a few times.
Ride seemed dam fine for the age of the bike to me when I tested it. I will admit the first oh 20 or so kilometers doing a bunch of S curves I took it slow because it does feel different but then so does going from a dunlop to a bridgestone.

To each their own I guess but I'd run a car tire on my wing if I could without thinking twice about it.

jrscamhlspouse":ws0pyyyq said:

Car tires cost a LOT less. They handle the Rain better. They handle sand and gravel better. They don't wear out anywhere near as fast.