Got a lead on a GL1100 for sale

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
:builder:
Friend of mine told me about a GL1100 the son thought was worth $3k. It doesn't run, hasn't been on the road for years since Dad died, and he wants to sell it. I told my friend, given those facts, the son would be lucky to get $500 for the bike.

I explained the bike would need: carburetors cleaned, new tires, new plugs, new timing belts, gas tank cleaned, oils & filter change, and that was just preventative maintenance. No telling what repairs (shock seals, caliper/master cylinder rebuilds, brake pads,etc.) would be needed to actually get the bike back on the road. $3K, my aching arse!!

I guess my friend told the son what I had said because my friend called me at the rec center and said the son wanted to talk with me about selling the bike. I'll get with him today to see if he is talking sensible, but I don't really need another project. Would I buy it if the price was right? As an MBS suffer, of course!
:builder:

Glad it's not near, :roll: seldom look in the classified adds or computer for motorcycles anymore. :nea: They seem to follow me home if they're in good shape, with a great price, unwanted,& unloved :hihihi:

Glad it's not near me either, but there is a '75 cheap on Craigslist in buffalo and this one caught my eye...the wife begged me not to buy it 'cause it's so ugly

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-21-13-04-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-11-21-13-04-56.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 227
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186609#p186609:5oirafg2 said:
kerryb » 16 minutes ago[/url]":5oirafg2]
Glad it's not near me either, but there is a '75 cheap on Craigslist in buffalo and this one caught my eye...the wife begged me not to buy it 'cause it's so ugly
file.php

OMG !!! I had one just about like this,, it was SOO hard to keep on the road in a cross wind, I lived in KS. at the time so a "breeze" was 30 MPH lol..

Looked at the 83 maroon Aspencade. Turns out it wasn't a Dad's bike, but rather taken in as a debt payment. It sat for 5 years before the current owner got it.

It has a lot of chrome and is complete. The paint is nice; the seat is good; backrest cover needs repairs; the rear brake M/C is stuck at bottom of stroke; the fairing is off and the side covers are removed but available. Front shocks are not leaking. Clutch cable seems very stiff, but what can you expect at 30 degrees F? Alternator plug has been replaced because it was "corroded and somewhat melted". Overall, relatively easy to make road-worthy again. He said he took the carburetor bottoms off and cleaned them, but it still "ran like crap". Bike has no battery.

He has an extra 1100 engine which supposedly has about 40,000 miles on it and "ran good when pulled from a wrecked bike."

He wants $800 and I offered $600. We agreed to think it over because his storage area is unheated.

Sounds good if you get it for 600. A randacks carb kit , water pump, belts, tires?, MC kit, and whole bunch of hours, and you would have a nice bike. You might even be able to break even on resale.

800 with the spare engine would be fair to me.

Break even after getting it road worthy sounds about right. All the little things that have to be done really add up both time and money. $600 plus $100 for the spare engine seems fair to me.