Greetings from the Eastern Shrore

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrblack7

Reaction score
Just got an 84 GL 1200 Aspencade with very low mileage only 26K ...It was garage kept and hasn't been ridden since 91. The bike has never been dropped and appears to be in show room condition...just needs some elbow grease and some soap and water. I cleaned the carbs and dropped in a new battery and she fired right up. I have not ridden anything serious since I was in my 20's when I nearly killed myself...thinking that I will be more careful now that I know I can die. Any tips on what I should pay particular attention to with regard to this machine would be appreciated. She has no rust in the frame inside or out, hydraulics are good, air ride is works, all the electronics are working, front seals in act all seals are dry.

Welcome from N.Western,Pa. :hi: some of the Guru's will be by shortly to give some words of wisdom on your 1200 :moped: :moped:

You talking Eastern Shore as in Virginia? I live down in Norfolk, just on the other side of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. My ride is an '83 GL1100 Standard, as shown in my sig pic. Not sure what typical problems the tourings rigs like Aspencades had, maybe things like loose mounts for the bodywork and floorboards, shifter mechanisms, etc? On mine, the horns were weak, and almost failed inspection because they pretty much don't work when the engine's not running. I'd do the usual pre-ride inspection, and check the oil level, coolant level, rear drive fluid, headlight (low and high beams), turn signals, brake lights, horns, tire pressure, fork pressure, etc. If all checks out, throw a leg over her and ride!

as with any new to you thing ...it takes a well tuned cautious approach to riding ...your 1200 not bad ..its very low center of gravity is nice ...but the bike is heavy and very capable of getting you in trouble not ready for ...go slow diffensive and lots of empty parking lot get to know your bike practice and your abilities so there known to you ...under motor power and foot power