Grip Glue ??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
What type of adhesive do you guys use to put new grips on ?? Was putting on new grips last Sat. and got the left side on with no problem but when I tried to put the right side on the rubber sleeve rolled over and and when I tried to pull it back off the glue had set up and could not get it to come back off, well it ruined the ISO grip that I had bought and in the process of trying different to get it off I broke the damn throttle sleeve :sensored: :sensored: :sensored: so now I'm waiting on parts and a new set of grips. I used the glue that came with the grips, just wondered if there was something else(simple) that might work and and not set up so fast. I have heard of guys using hairspray, another guy said that he used Dawn dish soap
Thanks in advance

I always use hairspray.
Been doing it so long I don't even remember where I heard of it but it works great.

Slippery when wet,sticky when dry.

The last grips I put on fit tight and didn't need glue though the bar was a bit sticky from the last set that we're on it.
I used a compressor and air nozzle pushed against the bar and grip to sort of inflate the grip to take off and put back on.

I know one time I did try dawn dish soap. They'd keep moving around which turned out to be a bad idea. I think I just washed that out and stuck em on dry with the air nozzle.

Yup, use compressed air between the grip and handlebar on the left side, and between the grip and throttle on the right side, and they'll usually slip right off. Add another vote for hair spray, the aerosol can kind, not the pump bottle kind. Goes on wet, dries nice and sticky. Visit your local dollar store, they should have something suitable (Aquanet, Suave, or White Rain are the usual suspects).

Winger 82":zogxegn2 said:
Thanks guys will give the hair spray a go :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :hi:

Oh by the way any particular brand to use for STYLIN my grips :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi:

Oh crap never mind :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

There is an adhesive for emblems that I use, to remove a glued on grip try using a lot of heat, I used a hair drier I heat up the area and the grip slides off,,, it also works well to remove badges off tanks or emblems off autos..

littlebeaver":3vu31q4y said:
There is an adhesive for emblems that I use, to remove a glued on grip try using a lot of heat, I used a hair drier I heat up the area and the grip slides off,,, it also works well to remove badges off tanks or emblems off autos..

When I went to replace the grips on a friend's 750 Super Magna, I used my small portable compressor, inserted the nozzle end between the grip and bar, and viola, instantly unglued, it was amazing. Just worked it around while I was sliding the grip off, and lickity split it was off in like a minute. 'Course this won't work on badges and stuff like that, but it works wonders on grips!

Hey did the hairspray thing tonite on that throttle side grip, would the set-up time on that hairspray be 24 hrs ??

Thanks, I tried them an hour or so last nite after I put it on and it was not even close to settin up :head bang: :head bang:

Hair spray or any other liquids needs to dry. With a rubber grip tightly covering the liquid it will take a good while to actually dry. One of the reasons I prefer to just slip on the grips dry.

Well it's been 24 hrs and when I tried the throttle it just slipped so I took it off and clean it all up and went with the glue they sent with the grips again :beg: :beg: put the glue on and was working the grip on within 10 sec. from putting the glue on it , got it started and only got it on about an inch and it bound up again :head bang: :head bang: ,I quickly pulled it back off and tried again and was able to get it on :heat: :heat: , tried to twist it clockwise just a bit for final fit and the glue had set-up with in that 10 sec. don't know what's in that stuff but ya got's to be quick when your using it on plastic.The glue that came with the grips is call Black Widow, the clutch side was really easy since it was just going over the bar, I played around with the fit on it for almost a minute before it set up, well at least it's done , only bad side was having to buy 2 sets of grips :sensored: :sensored:

I have used hair spray in the past and found it to work most of the time, but sometimes it just doesn't want to set up. I've now discovered that many grip manufacturers don't recommend hair spray, so now I use some stuff called "Grip Glue" (imagine that!) and it works great.