GWRRA

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cyborg":1syte6hi said:
i belonged for a number of years was even a chapter vice pres. but they became more of a social club, and as was stated, more into the new bikes, and the bling.

That sounds about right. With bicyclists, it's not just the bling, but how light their bikes are. They'll spend all kinds of dough to shave a pound off the bike when they could lose 20 off their gut for free, or even save money doing it.

Sorry to keep referring to the bicycle end of the spectrum, but I'm laughing to myself at exactly how similar both worlds are. Motorcyclists wear leather and cordura instead of lycra and spandex. You still have to change your shoes and wear a helmet. :smilie_happy:

Mark

ive always had a problem staying in groups especialy music groups full of fat egos and bigmouths and suspect talent ....CGW is my best record at staying in a group ever ...and its been great for me here as i think most bring honesty humour to the table first in our group .... :party: :mrgreen:

Our local chapter here (We belong) has about 100 active members. Most ride 1800's and I have the oldest bike in the club. The guys seem to appreciate what I've done to restore the bike. We enjoy the group fellowship and will do some, not all, of the group rides.

Wing World and the Gold Book afre big plusses, IMHO.

We are going to give WingDing a shot this year - seems like a great place to have fun!

I was a member from 96 to 08. Chapter director from 97 to 99. It was fun & we had a good core of people. Yet it seemed as the years progressed it got less into riding & more into socializing. Plus our core dissolved. People died, Got divorced, sold their bikes, Had GKids etc. Not only did this happen in our chapter but chapters all over the state were folding for the same reasons. At the state (district) level. We used to have anywhere to 1500 to 2000 people attend our state rally with two Fair sheds full of vendors. The last one I went to maybe had 150 to 200 people attending with maybe a half dosen vendors @ best. I'm sure internet sales also put a crimp on that.
I don't know if GWRRA just run its course here or if its only as good as its leaders. Could be a bit of both.
I liked the Gold Book. Never left home without it even though I never needed it. It was nice to have.
Wing World was nice because I had a new bike @ the time. Seems like they cater mostly to that & less on the older models. Also seemed to get more saturated with adversisments.
IMHO any group is only as good as its leadership. And when you have volenteers for leaders. A group can go either way in a quick hurry. :moped:

i've been in contact with a few of the members of the motorcity chapter of gwrra and i find them to be a great bunch of guys. most of them seem to ride 1500 and 1800 wings but a handfull still ride 1200 wings. i'm going to make it to a meeting when the weather breaks