GWRRA

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piper

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do many of the members here belong to the GWRRA? I thought I might try it for a year for the magazine and the towing insurance. I'm not into the huge planned group rides and am more into the spur of the moment type riding with one or two other bikes so that isn't a plus for me. I was one of the original members back in 1978 but dropped out in the early 80's when money got a little tight. It looks like the members are mostly 1800 owners, judging by the pictures on their websites, so I would probably be an outcast with my 83 but that kind of thing has never bothered me before. Seems just a bit expensive as clubs like this go.

I was a member for a year, the magazine is great but I was I was sorta looked down on having an 1100 as everyone else in my chapter had 1800's, trikes and valks.
I might join again just for the magazine.

I have been a member for awhile,
The local chapters Ive been around have never made me feel bad,just the oppisite.Most the old timers really appreciate these old 1100s.

The magazine is getting boring to me,to many 1800s and not enough classics,hardly a 1500 anymore and 10 months wing ding to come,and 2 months of wing ding past :lazy: ...

I do like the gold book,and have the upgraded towing/rescue for all my vehicles for 100 miles and it has paid off,(do to cars not the bikes)

Im not a "chapter member" although I have particapated in some local events or rides,great people,just not at that point in my life yet.

All and all I think its a good deal with alot to offer and will keep my membership up.

I poked around on the website awhile back, looking for something local. I don't think it's for me. But I could be wrong, because I never actually followed through and went to a meeting or called the welcome committee. It just didn't strike me as anything I'd go out of my way for.

i am a member of cma and have no gwrra chapter here in waco, the closest one is in killeen. i do belong to gwrra for a few reasons. first i do enjoy wing world mag. and the gold book i carry in my car and my vt1100 along with putting it in my wing. a lot of the reason they don't have much about classic wings is no one submits storys. they are crying for more on the classic wings. also the editor rides a classic wing i believe it is a 75 or a 76. and there web site has been helpful also. they do have a forum on classic wings on there web site message board. as to whether or not it is for everyone i can't say i do however enjoy being a member. i will also say this i do get more information on my wing at this web site and i use it much more than gwrra's site.

I'm not a member of the GWRRA. Just not my thing but am glad there is something available to those that enjoy it. I like riding too much and they seem to have too many rules when they do ride. Have been to the Ding once and other than the vendors, nothing there to get me back. I know its more of a social group now thats doesn't seem very welcoming to the newcomers. One thing I've noticed about the bikes is that they are more of a Trike Club than a 2 wheel club. Guess thats a sign of the GWRRA age group demographics.

rock42":2k4g270t said:
i am a member of cma and have no gwrra chapter here in waco, the closest one is in killeen. i do belong to gwrra for a few reasons. first i do enjoy wing world mag. and the gold book i carry in my car and my vt1100 along with putting it in my wing. a lot of the reason they don't have much about classic wings is no one submits storys. they are crying for more on the classic wings. also the editor rides a classic wing i believe it is a 75 or a 76. and there web site has been helpful also. they do have a forum on classic wings on there web site message board. as to whether or not it is for everyone i can't say i do however enjoy being a member. i will also say this i do get more information on my wing at this web site and i use it much more than gwrra's site.

Dont take me the wrong way,i like the GWRRA,and the tech editer,Stu Oteman is a big classic bike nut.You will find him frequently on the "VINTAGE JAPENESES MOTORCYCLE OWNERS GROUP" forum as well as a member of the VINTAGE JAPENESE MOTORCYCLE CLUB. And yes the editer rides a 75,but she also used to be a harley chick so that cancels that out LOL

The chapters around here have been great,Its the age differance that I struggled with,not the bikes.I didnt mind,just dont have the free time they do and I wasnt able to be regular.

The magazene is my biggest griep,the goldbook and rescue plus is priceless.

I enjoy GWRRA meetings, gives me a reason to get out of the house.
I have a couple old friends who are members and have been for a very long time.
we are close to the youngest couple in our chapter so there is an age differnce for sure.
some have trikes and some have insta-trikes but all like to ride, and enjoy just being out with other bikes.
our local chapters are shrinking in numbers so the meetings are smaller and not huige ride events.. usually 2-4 bikes..
I like that size.
gold book and towing are great... hope I'll never have to use them buit nice to know they re .
my gripe is we eat too much icecream and pizza!
LOL
ok so I'm not complaining THAT much .

as far as the old bike .... my 83 was welcomed and gets many comments and much attention at rides and functions.
they actually helping me get the intercom and cb working with a J&M kit from another members old bike.

I was a member and let it lapse, Apparently the in eyes of the chapters near me, I was too young (46) and the bike was too old (28). I went out of my way to contact the 3 different chapters several times and NEVER heard back...... as far as the web page,my politics weren't skewed far enough to the right either.........I like youse guys more better! :lust:

I was a member too and let it lapse also. They didn't really have anything going on in my neck of the woods. Most of their events and happenings are out of range for the free time I have. The mag caters to the newer wings and doesn't have much of interest for me. I'm still a BMWMOA member though. The fee was cheaper than the GWRRA, and I didn't think I needed to duplicate the towing ins. The beemer mag has more stuff on their older bikes which I enjoy. Plus they have more stuff in my area. The airhead crowd likes my naked 83 and think of it as the kid they should have had if BMW made a water cooled boxer engine. They get a little envious when they realize these are cheaper to mantain once you've got them dialed in.

Don’t you just love the new guy that keeps dredging up old, long dead topics?

I’ve been perusing the GWRRA site and checked out the chapter closest to me (Riverside). I see mostly new bikes pictured, but I’m not overly concerned by that.

I think I’m going to join and I’d love to go on group rides. As a bicyclist, one of the smartest things I ever did was join a club. Group rides are a blast and you can certainly learn a lot really fast from the guys that have been around the block a few times. Yes, I readily agree that this forum gets that done for me extremely well, but face to face meets and group rides are always fun. The old guys usually know all the cool places to ride to and the best/quietest roads. That’s the kind of stuff that you really benefit from group riding.

As to the snooty types…. Yeah, I get that some in the bicycling club, too. I don’t really care much for what people think. All the cool kids ride the latest and greatest carbon fiber racing bikes and I ride a recumbent. I’m not afraid to run dated components on my bikes as long as they work. I do my own wrenching and I keep up just fine on group rides, at least with the people I care to ride with, if you feel me.

I think the benefits outweigh the negatives with joining GWRRA. I think I’ll try it for at least a year and go from there. I said the same thing with my bicycle club and 12 years later, have served on the board of directors for about 9 of those years. I’m thinking it will be pretty cool!

Mark

I tried Gwrra too and the folks really weren't my type. I went to the meetings in Albuquerque and they are a lot like the huge RV folks and they aren't my type either...
After 25 years or so in the AMA and 20 in the BMWMOA, and a half dozen other groups and clubs, the only thing I belong to bike-wise any more is the USCA and the only type rallies are the sidecar related.....possibly BMW when I have the inclination. I did like FSSNOC when I had a thumper and I do belong to Horizons Unlimited. I also belong to several internet bike forums, mostly camping and adventure touring moto forums. I just like to hang with those who are interested in what I am...esp. for the money these outfits want for membership.

Brian

bk2valve":2dn73jlq said:
I tried Gwrra too and the folks really weren't my type. I went to the meetings in Albuquerque and they are a lot like the huge RV folks and they aren't my type either...
<SNIP> I just like to hang with those who are interested in what I am...esp. for the money these outfits want for membership.

Brian

I certainly understand and respect your opinion, Brian. You’re one of the guys that’s been around the block a time or two and your need for what the GWRRA has to offer is minimal, at best.

There are a lot of people in my bike club I don’t particularly care for and there are many I dearly love; good friends I’ve had for several years. With our bike club, we have an annual pizza party where the club picks up the entire bash. With my whole family there, I reckon I get my dues back at that party, alone. The other bennies are just gravy.

My thoughts with the GWRRA are fairly similar. I currently have my cars, home and now bike insured through Liberty Mutual, who just happens to offer a discount to GWRRA members. Now, admittedly, I haven’t checked to see if the discount applies to current policy holders, but if it does…. I’m pretty sure that will cover my dues. The magazine, the towing and all the other goodies will be gravy. If I make a couple good riding friends, well, all the better. I suspect you are correct, though and there will be a number of snooty types that will not trip my trigger.

I’m like you in that I like to gather as much info as I can from the knowledgeable folks on Internet forums. I belong to a fair share, myself, though I’ve mostly been window shopping when it comes to MC forums. I was glad to have stumbled upon this one as I see a great bunch of guys that will help me enjoy my new-to-me bike for many miles of smiles.

Mark

Hi Mark, I was just sharing my opinion and experience. I do fully understand there is a great niche for groups like that and over the years I lived in Alaska where there was a lot of distance between bike folks and before there was common usage of the internet I joined every club representing whatever marque and model I owned at the time...just to get their newsletter! And to pick the brains of other owners....

I am now an old guy and have limited income and I stopped getting every bike mag I used to get too. Well my wife is still a BMWMOA and AMA member so we get those two mags and we get Rider since she writes for it but I let the rest go. I am way less a consumer for bike trinkets and more bikes so I let MSN go a few years back, Hack'd mag went away due to the owner/editor giving it up and that about does it for me....

Please don't let my blather influence you in any way...it is just old "the older I get the faster I was " chatter....

Brian

bk2valve":1ssznx42 said:
Hi Mark, I was just sharing my opinion and experience.<snip>
Please don't let my blather influence you in any way...it is just old "the older I get the faster I was " chatter....

Brian

Not at all, Brian... In fact, I more or less agree with you. You've been around the block and I'm just starting my journey. I need all the help I can get!

Mark

Not at all, Brian... In fact, I more or less agree with you. You've been around the block and I'm just starting my journey. I need all the help I can get!

Well, that's cool amigo, but since we are in different circumstances I certainly do encourage you to follow you gut and your heart and do what feels right or you...I find it keeps changing as I travel through life.

It has narrowed down a lot for me these days and I have had to filter through a lot of the ideas and dreams I had held for years in order to get some of them finished....Along with that is what feels important to me.

Good travels,
Brian

I belong to the CGW club! :clapping: (PS...I am waiting for the towing benefits to be made available! I have a few friends with Harley's that could use the insurance :smilie_happy: ) :mrgreen:

i belonged for a number of years was even a chapter vice pres. but they became more of a social club, and as was stated, more into the new bikes, and the bling. always seemed like more of what they wanted me to do for them, then what they would do for me. i have belonged to the AMA for 20 years. mostly because of how they fight for motorcylists rights in washington. i feel they are helping to preserve the rights of us, and future generations, to ride and enjoy our bikes any way we feel like