Ham Radio

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medcoman

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 goldwing standard
Hi Rich
Did you have to do anything special to install your 2 meter rig. I have a icom 2at that I might install in my wing. Thanks Dick

Hi Dick,
An Icom 2AT is perfect for the GW as it can run on 12 VDC and has many accessories available for it...
You will need a boom mic/headset to cannibalize for the boom mic and then get some nice walkman headphones and do the same to them for the earpieces..
Find a esthetically pleasing way to mount all that stuff to the helmet both inside and out and then use a coiled cord for the hookup to the radio... I have an old Icom PTT that I got at some hamfest years ago that I wired up to key the radio and I mounted it on my left handlebar above the turn signal switch...

it has a cable from it that has the molded plug that fits the Icom/Yaesu radios and an external jack for the headset mic to the helmet...

I will post some more detailed pics of my set up in my album.. take a look and if you have any questions, let me know...

Oh and I used a Diamond NR 770H NMO antenna on the bike for dual band use and so I could get a little gain from it (3 DBi at 2M and 5 DBi at 440) since the FT 470 only puts out about 4 watts....

Rich

My best guess would be eBay.... The TM V7a might be too much radio for your bike. Maybe an old Yaesu FT 5200 with a remote kit might be easier to find. Is there a part number for the control head? Also try searching YAHOO groups for a user group for that radio. Might find one for parts there. Good luck.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I'll be looking forward to more posts. DICK