Hand/riding issues...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so to continue from the other thread, I have trouble with numbness in my hands during longer and even shorter rides. Not always, I never know when it's going to happen.

I've used these but didn't like the feeling of not holding the grip but still having my wrist touching, because this really didn't address my problem. When this happens I need to get my hand and wrist off the grip and do some finger flexing the get the blood flowing or release the pressure off the nerves or whatever it is, I'm not really sure.
image.php

This helps me, if both hands are bothering me on a particular ride I just take turns removing my hand/wrist from the grip and do some flexing.

I still have some silver plastic chrome from my old cramp buster stuck to my throttle grip, it sort a snapped when I ripped it from the grip to install my Go Cruise. :oops:

~O~

I have similar issues myself Randy.... mine is in my neck as when sleeping it will wake me up until I stretch the neck muscles side to side.. have noticed it on runs into town .. 11 miles or so. And in longer runs for interviews... all relieved when neck is stretched...May need to go to chiropractors.

it might be the diameter of the grip randy. I have kury iso grips with the bolt on throttle rocker and don't have an issue with my hands cramping. I have stock grips on the 750f which are uncomfortable to me for any riding over 80 miles. I have some large grips on the 450sc which are as comfortable as the kury iso grips

I do use the cramp buster with great success, but I also agree that the grip diameter can be an issue along with the amount of spring tension on your throttle.

Neck issues are also a big culprit with hand numbness! My Wife (who is/was also a nurse) ended with two discs being removed from her neck. She had numbness along with shoulder pain.

The last thing I can add is that when I first started riding again, my right hand was tingling all the time. I also have tennis elbow and I would wear my tennis elbow brace on my right arm (fairly low down on my arm) and that helped the tingling a lot.

Just curious Randy, don't you use your cruise control? Any time I start to feel any numbness or cramping I just hit the button and flex my hand/wrist. I use it almost all the time anyway though, even if I don't feel any numbness, just to take the pressure off my hand/wrist. Also, like William mentioned, the ISO grip's larger diameter are a good upgrade too, especially if you have large hands

Piper, the cruise control doesn't work on my 1500. I've read up on fixing it but since it could be one of a dozen problems I opted for this solution.

Now when you guys say "cramping" does that include numbness? Old Girlfriend had the stock grips which if memory serves are the same grips on my 1500. Anyway, I put those long leather fringe on the 1100 and the leather was very thick building the grips up to about 1" like Harley grips and I had the same problem. I'm pretty sure my problem stems from 1 or 2 of my health issues.

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125837#p125837:2whmpq7i said:
Omega Man » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:02 am[/url]":2whmpq7i]
Now when you guys say "cramping" does that include numbness?
Yes!

The main issue with cramping is that you are gripping the throttle, twisting against spring tension and then forcing your hand, wrist and forearm to maintain that position. (Try hold a 2 lb weight in one hand face down with your arm extended for 5 mins straight. That is the same muscle wobble you are getting in your hand from holding the throttle.)

The issue becomes worse as your trip progresses because your muscles warn you that they are losing grip (start aching). Keep holding them and the muscles tighten putting pressure on the nerves in the carpal tunnel which will constrict and prevent some blood flow (pins and needles and eventually nerve pain). This can all be compounded when the handlebars and seat position have your arms extended too far (which causes less blood flow to your hands and fingers.)

As mentioned before, the diameter of the grip can significantly effect the "death grip". The smaller the diameter, the harder it is on the hand.

The best thing to do is release your grip on the grip! Move closer to the handlebars so that your arms are not extended to almost outstretched. Lower the handlebar/grip to get closer to your body is also effective. That is where the setback risers come in that attach under your bars. They move them higher on the tree, but closer to the rider which then allows them to be pulled down a few degrees to ease the grip!

I use a throttle lock and until the other day when I was riding through the Tail of the Dragon, I "had" a cramp buster. It decided to break at a very in-opportune moment and I wasn't even resting my wrist on it: I was just twisting the throttle. The sad part is that it wasn't even a year old.

On the 1200 I have a pair of generic ISO grips with a build in adjustable cramp buster. I think that is what I am going to go with for the 1100 as well because I really did not like the fact that the cramp buster was just a piece of plastic.

There are two styles of cramp buster out there (and yes they are both plastic). I have the one pictured at the top of the thread. I adjust mine all the time. When I get out on the highway, I have to raise it so that when it is near horizontal the throttle is holding highway speed. I just rest the heel of my palm on the cramp buster with my hand just kinda laying on the throttle. When approaching the off ramp of a highway. I twist the cramp buster around to reset it for local speeds.

For me, the cramp buster being adjusted regularly combined with handlebar setback risers and moving my seat forward to the middle notch allows me to ride continuously!

:shock: Forgot one more thing....drivers backrest helping to keep me upright sets the spine up to keep pressure off the neck and back when riding for long periods. (Mine is custom for the seat)

When I ride with my Wife, we have to remove the backrest to make room for both of us and within an hour of riding, my back and neck start to hurt from finding myself trying hold myself upright while pulling on the handlebars!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125844#p125844:2bm5agoj said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:59 am[/url]":2bm5agoj]
:shock: Forgot one more thing....drivers backrest helping to keep me upright sets the spine up to keep pressure off the neck and back when riding for long periods. (Mine is custom for the seat)

When I ride with my Wife, we have to remove the backrest to make room for both of us and within an hour of riding, my back and neck start to hurt from finding myself trying hold myself upright while pulling on the handlebars!

I don't care if it my wife or this one:
I don't ride without a backrest on the 1100. I'm still looking for a good one for the 1200 (I just need to spend money on other things first).

while not all cases are this I know my issues of numbness and a feeling of fingers going to sleep is caused by Carpal Tunnel Syndrome I have seen a orthopedic surgeon over it but as that was several years back and the surgery at the time was nowhere near is good as they are today I elected to live with the issue rather than take the risks of the surgery. especially as my problems are both hands not just one

I have carpal tunnel in my right hand, but it is controlled by using a brace at night. Very effective, no need for surgery and no numb hand while riding! (Anymore)