Headlight/fairing '91 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm changing out the turn signal/high beam harness because the one I have is all buggered up. Pretty straight forward. I unplugged the 9 pin connector at the fairing and removed the attaching bolts removing the fairing. So far so good. Then I unplugged all the wiring from the old harness and removed it. Put in the new (salvage) harness and plugged everything in. Set the fairing in place to check before buttoning up everything and all works as advertised EXCEPT the headlight.

I'm pretty sure I have all the wires in the proper place as every thing else works. This is the first Wing I've been into but this is not my first safari into the rubber snake jungle of head light buckets. The head light wires are blue, white and green. The schematic shows them all running into the 9 pin connector but it also shows a green gnd off into what the book indicates as a "mini". I remember someone in another thread mentioning when removing the fairing to not forget the ground. I didn't and still don't see any ground wire. Is it possible that the wire in inside the fairing and grounds when bolted up. That might make some sense, I only set the fairing into place and attached the aft two nuts so as to hold it in place. I did not install all the other bolts. Maybe not grounding or something.

So, anyone have any suggestions? I guess the next move is to remove covers from both sides and look inside for a loose ground floating around someplace.

I did take a look at the "new" hi lo beam switch and it looks all soldered up just fine and the movement is crisp as it should feel. Cleaned everything with contact spray, all pins etc and the switch itself.

LOL It's an '81. That's what you get when you write late at night after messing with wires for an hour and putting a fairing on and off about 6 times.

The switches are off another old bike and for all I know the problem may be in the hi/lo portion of THAT switch.

On the '81 Interstate there is a 9 pin connector bringing everything from the fairing to the wiring harness. 4 of those are the signal lights (o, ow, ltbl, ltbl/white.) The dark Blue and the white wires are the headlight. What I don't know is where the ground is for the head light as I am totally unfamiliar with these fairings.

The signal lights are working so they are getting ground. The wiring diagram shows the front signals sharing the same ground so that perplex's me. Took the cover off the radio and all I could tell is the radio is grounded to the metal that bolts to the side mounting brackets and the radio works as does everything in the fairing EXCEPT the headlight. This makes me think the headlamp is not getting ground. Was hoping not to have to remove the headlight but guess that's where I headed to actually SEE what the hell is going on in there. I took the left handlebar switch apart and checked that. Everything is connected and all solder points look good and I cleaned all inside before installing it.

Again, my question is does anybody Know where the ground for the head light makes contact to the frame? It must be through one of the bolts securing the fairing to the mounting brackets I just don't know where.

Reconnected the old switch and everything works as it did before. The problem is in the switch I bought for a replacement.

Great, I will have to build one that works out to the two switches with different problems. Really don't have much to work with, the problem all started when the right turn signal position would not lock in place and I had to keep pressure on it to keep the signal flashing. The spring loaded slider is somehow been messed up, the PO or somebody has been in there and did a hack job on the wires. That was one of the first things I had to do when I got the bike, clean up the mess and resolder the bad job done. Got it all working but the PO had used a butt connector inside the small area and it had broken the locking feature. It was a pain so I bought a take off from a parts bike. Looks better than mine and the wiring is intact and not hacked. Just don't work. LOL

Gesh, these things can try your patience. I will disassemble the "new" switch and see what the problem is and fix it if at all possible. Keep this up and I will have more tied up in light switches that the entire bike.

Take your time and look carefully at everything. Fixing those switches isn't that hard but can try your patience. Problem could be as simple as a little tarnish on one contact.