Headlight won't work after removing and replacing fairing '81 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I removed the fairing to replace the left handle bar switch. When I removed the fairing I disconnected the 9 pin connector and did not see any ground with talked about in another thread. Fairing off switch replaced all wires and plugs in proper place. Fairing back on 9 pin connector in place, everything works but the headlight. Signals work, horn works but sounds weak as though not a good connection. Of course with no head light I cant tell if the hi/lo beam works.

I've seen mentioned several time here and other places a ground wire in addition to the 9 pin connector on the left of the fairing. I never saw any such wire. I'm thinking I missed something somehow. I looked into the radio compartment and of course there's plenty of wires there. There is a green wire which I would assume is a ground that is secured to the metal that the bolt securing the fairing to the mounting bracket on the frame but I don't think that has anything to do with the headlight.

With the horn sound weak and like it is not grounding well I just know that is part of the problem. The switch I installed is a take off from another bike and appears to be in good shape. I did clean it with contact cleaner and blew it out with air before installing it. Switch looks fine, all solder points look solid and the switch movements are crisp and solid.

Signal lights work, radio works, horn works (half-assed), but no head light. Can anyone describe where this ground from the head light connects through the fairing. I have re-checked the wiring with the wiring diagram and pretty sure I have the new switch wired correctly. all O, OW, B, BW for the signals in proper connectors, the two multi-pin connectors are hard to screw up, they only fit in the proper place. The connector with the Blue and white wires are the head light and are connected through the connector. The wiring diagram show this but also shows a ground into the same line as the signals. The signals work so I'm assuming the head light somehow is not getting ground.

The mention of a separate ground wire in addition to the 9 pin connector on the left of the fairing in several other post confuses me as I cannot find and did not see any such thing when removing the fairing. Can anyone tell me what that's all about.

Well, this is a futile drill. I hooked up the old switch just to see if I was losing my mind. Everything is back to normal and this phantom ground I was concerned about apparently doesn't exist.

When back on the old switch the head lamp works as does the horn. This tells me the switch I bought to replace the broken one has issues. I will just have to attempt a repair which is likely in the Hi/lo portion of the switch but first I will make SURE the plug pins are clean and pristine. It came off a junker so who knows how long it sat out.

Well, the good thing about it is, after removing and replacing the fairing about 6 times, feeding two different wiring harness' through hole impossible 3 times, connecting wiring and plug a bunch ( lost track of that), disassembling and putting back together at least three times the dash and gauges I'm sort of familiar with that part of the '81 wing.

My carb kit arrived today so I will be yanking them and filleting all 4 for rebuild. Will find out how difficult it is to get the slow jet out of the '81.

Oh and the original light, horn, signal harness and switch is back on the bike after I robbed some of the guts out of the one I bought. Was able to move some of the butchered wires inside around and get the right turn to lock in place. (not much room inside that switch) There's still an intermittent short occurring on the horn now but, who needs a horn so, I may just take the offending wire out and be done with it until I find a KNOWN working switch and harness. Got carbs to do and that's far more important to me.

Glad you feel well enough to comment Joe, Here's to your health............... :salute: