Hot Engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskydad

Reaction score
Hello, I haven't really been riding a Goldwing with the horizontal heads for very long. Most of my riding has been done on parallel teins of some sort. So my question is this:I know it's hot out, it's summer. I feel a lot of heat coming off the valve covers when I ride. is this normal ? I'm about in the middle of the temperature gauge, the fan is working. Are these bikes just hot to ride because of the fairing and the heads sticking out?

Yep, those faring lowers will bake your feet! My '82 has a Vetter faring with removable lowers and as soon as the outside temps reach 80 degrees, off they come and cool feet from that point forward! :Egyptian:

Hey, if it is any help, I ride with my feet up on the engine guards once on the highway and lean back into my backrest. Keeps my feet nice and cool.

Mine gets pretty warm :heat: , especially from midcalf to my toes, so I just stick them knees out in the breeze to funnel that cooler air in. You can get some air deflectors to help with the heat, I just haven't sprung with the cash to order any yet.

Thanks Guys, I just gotta get my feet out on those highway pegs. I didn't know running without a thermastat was even an option, I just replaced mine when I refurbed the front end, I didn't know I could leave it out altogether. Are there any down sides to running with out the thermastat?

huskydad":1zo33e1z said:
Thanks Guys, I just gotta get my feet out on those highway pegs. I didn't know running without a thermastat was even an option, I just replaced mine when I refurbed the front end, I didn't know I could leave it out altogether. Are there any down sides to running with out the thermastat?
It is a matter of opinion. Personally, I would not run an aluminum engine without a properly working thermostat. But as joedrum has run without a thermostat on all of his Goldwings for years it is up to the individual.

I agree with Gerry.

As I understand it, the stat is there to help the engine warm up to its designed operating temperature and keep it there.
It also regulates coolant flow through the engine and radiator to give the coolant time to evenly absorb heat from the block to reduce hot spots. Consequently by regulating flow the radiator has time to exhaust that heat.

I've always found a properly working system works very well with all components in place, including the stat.

hyway pegs :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: last year I (inadvertantly) rode through a swarm of bees got a bunch of them up my right pant leg :head bang: stinging and stinging I was doing hyway speeds slapping my pants to kill the D**m*d things :beg: trying to keep the bike on the road as I was slowing down :help: :help: Finally got stopped and lucky for the house I stopped in front of becuase I WAS ONE BEE STING AWAY FROM STIPPING BUTT NAKED TO GET THE STUPID BEES OUT RIGHT THERE ON THE SIDE OF HYWAY THREE. Had stings up my leg just short of soprano territory :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I have no idea why things like this always happen to me !! i feel like that guy with the white shockof hair in The Great Outdoors