How many of you???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcgovern61":2urxea8i said:
If it is any help, I am 5'8 with short stumps for legs (29" inseam) and flat footing the ground was an issue for me. I solved most of that by removing my floorboards and going back to foot pegs. Secondly, I lowered my triple tree on the forks about 1 1/2" down which really gave me a lot more control of the bike AND allows me to plant my feet flat when I stop!

I also added 1 1/2" handle bar risers which moved them closer and took a tremendous strain off my arms and shoulders. I keep my seat set in the middle notch. On trips I need to stretch so I take my Vetter fairing lowers off and ride with my feet on the top of the valve covers or the front part of the engine guard! Makes it like sitting back on a sofa!

Took a 2800 mile round trip 2 summers ago and these changes made it a real pleasure! (Oh and so did the sheepskin seat cover) :moped:
Mc, this solution of yours is going to be most helpful to lots of riders in the 5' 8" range, if this isn't listed in the customized area it probably should be.. great information there fella

6'4" 265. Yes it feels small. I'm pining for a 1500 because it's bigger. But other than the 1500 or a 1200 I don't think there's anything much bigger out there.

I'm 6'1 and 235lbs. With the seat in the third notch, I'm pretty comfortable leg wise. 2-up riding on the other hand, is a little cramped because I have to move the seat to the first notch :shock:, otherwise my significant other isn't happy, and when she's not happy, well...

woodrock":309y2j3f said:
I'm 6'1 and 235lbs. With the seat in the third notch, I'm pretty comfortable leg wise. 2-up riding on the other hand, is a little cramped because I have to move the seat to the first notch :shock:, otherwise my significant other isn't happy, and when she's not happy, well...

Doing the mod to move the trunk back might help here.
There are kits available to move it but it just takes a couple brackets to gain something like 3" back which helps a lot.

dan filipi":6u4u49lt said:
Doing the mod to move the trunk back might help here.
There are kits available to move it but it just takes a couple brackets to gain something like 3" back which helps a lot.
Great suggestion Dan. I didn't know that could be done, and it looks like what I need to do. Just did a search on "trunk mods" and I can see exactly what you're talking about. Thanks, John

6' 5 & 1/2 " 226 lb , and this is the Biggest bike I ever Owned , BUT NO ROOM . the first day I got it I was thinking , Gosh I don't have any room on here at all . . . the Engine on a Goldwing is so Wide , But.... LORD they LOOK GOOOOD ...... :music: your feet are BACK more than most bikes .

littlebeaver":15bsg0py said:
I suggest you get a photo of yourself on the bike, post it, and we will tell you a honest answer to if you look to large on the bike or not...
NO....NO....Don't listen to him!!!! You post a pic here with these guys and ya never know what might happen next!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Here is where you post a pic:
:hihihi: :ahem:

viewtopic.php?p=2080#p2080

It isn't the size of the bike that should be questioned. They are actually pretty massive. The issue is ergonomics. Getting the right combination of seat height and position. Handle bar and controls positioned and foot controls. Is there a kit for forward controls on these bikes? Is anyone here planning to make some? With the right control positions the seat can be forward and still comfortable. For those with longer inseams maybe the seat can be raised rearward with additional brackets.

6'1 193 lbs I found the bike a bit short with a bigger seat,but put stock seat on and now it seems like i'm sitting back further with lots more room,and now i'm able too look over the windshield with no buffeting :good:

Well I used to be 5' 11/2'' ( however gravity has taken its toll) with an inseam of 30'' and 215lbs. Short legged fat guy on a wing. Feet touch the ground OK and I don't have any problem seeing over the dash.
:Egyptian: :Egyptian: :smilie_happy: :cheeky: :cheeky: :whistling: :ahem: :ahem:

I have to sit on a telephone book to see over the dash! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

(Maybe I should put blocks on my pedals so that I can reach them too! :hihihi: )

mcgovern61":1yicljz3 said:
I have to sit on a telephone book to see over the dash! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

(Maybe I should put blocks on my pedals so that I can reach them too! :hihihi: )

NO...put the blocks on yer BOOTS...then you can reach the pedals AND the ground... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

I'll certainly admit that having floorboards does make it a little tougher for the tootsies to plant on the ground, but it ain't too bad, for me. Pushing the bike backwards is definitely more challenging with the boards, too. :moped:

AApple":12hysfxu said:
mcgovern61":12hysfxu said:

NO...put the blocks on yer BOOTS...then you can reach the pedals AND the ground... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

I'll certainly admit that having floorboards does make it a little tougher for the tootsies to plant on the ground, but it ain't too bad, for me. Pushing the bike backwards is definitely more challenging with the boards, too. :moped:
I forgot to tell you that my bike has automatic reverse! I stop.....go to neutral.......and tell my daughter to get off and push me back! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

6'2" and 240# and the only bike that hasn't felt too small for me is a Boss Hoss...Never rode it just sat on one.

Actually, for my leg length my old XR650L was perfect!

That said, I ride my CT110 all the time and while it is definitely too small for me I love it and don't mind looking like a trained bear....LOL....
Brian

@ 5'9' 30 inch inseam I can't quite flat foot my 78 wing but get enough foot down to feel comfotable with it. Riding nothing but Maxi-Scoots for the past 6 years has me constantly looking for more places to put my feet. Even with the floorboards. Going to have to bring the handle bars back some as I feel hunched over when riding.

I'm new on a 81 GoldWing. 6' 200lbs. No problem with feet on the ground but on mine the floorboards have whacked my ankles a couple of times. The PO has a very uncomfortable position for the shifter for me and those floor boards.