How to remove fork tube bushing???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB1953

Reaction score
Ok I am having a major bad day. I started to assemble my fork tubes on my 1100 and had a major brain lapse and installed the fork bushing first . How can I get it out with out wrecking the fork leg? Thanks John

It has been a loooong time since I did it, but I seem to remember that we just used the fork lower as a jack hammer and just kept pushing it in and out until the bushings came out.

That would work if they were together but they have been removed and cleaned. For some reason I put the bushing in before the fork tube . Now I need to remove the bushing somehow to install in the correct order and I don't know how in the world I am going to get the bushing out now.

I would be inclined to cut the bush and order new ones rather than run the risk of damaging the fork housing :(

There are tools for removing bushings and bearings, basically backwards gear pullers. Some Autozone stores will loan them, with a deposit. Unfortunately, it will probably damage the bushing in the process.

You could also cut through the bushing with a chisel or a Dremel and pry it out. I don't know if there's a non-destructive way to get them out...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173376#p173376:lkpw0h73 said:
Steve83 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:26 am[/url]":lkpw0h73]
There are tools for removing bushings and bearings, basically backwards gear pullers. Some Autozone stores will loan them, with a deposit. Unfortunately, it will probably damage the bushing in the process.

You could also cut through the bushing with a chisel or a Dremel and pry it out. I don't know if there's a non-destructive way to get them out...
+1

Problem solved! I found an old tail pipe expander (from Harbor Freight) I was able to insert it into the leg past the bushing expand it as far as I could and still move it back and forth. I then took a round rod and went in from the bolt hole in the bottom of the leg and centered it up on the end of the expander and with a few well placed taps of hammer it came out. Now second question it did score the bushing I have a used set of legs (damanged) would I dare to use the bushing out of that one or should I just bite the bullet and order 2 new bushings?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173401#p173401:10gufafs said:
JohnB1953 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:13 am[/url]":10gufafs]
Well I decided not to do a half as. job and ordered 2 new bushings.
:clapping:

I did the same thing due to being distracted. Do not attempt to dremmel, it will cut the fork tube no matter how careful you are. You will have to fashion a mini crow bar of sorts. I went down to my local hardware store and found the smallest pry bar i could find, then had to grind it to make it work, but I managed to get it out. I also had to place a wooden dowel inside the tube for leverage.
Note to self, when rebuilding forks, plan for no distractions .

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173401#p173401:1q5qiwfa said:
JohnB1953 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:13 pm[/url]":1q5qiwfa]
Well I decided not to do a half as. job and ordered 2 new bushings.

Any job thats worth doing is worth taking the necessary steps to do it correctly. You chose wisely...