I need advice getting started

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolife

Reaction score
I had someone give me an 82 GL1100. All I had to do was bring it home. Easy enough except the wheels are removed, has no tires & partially disassembled. The original owner removed the tires for another bike. Luckily I have access to a service truck with an 8000lb crane so getting it home was a piece of cake.

The bike was running when he parked it except it had some carburetor issues. He removed enough of the components to remove the carburetors. After removing the carburetors, he disassembled them, broke a fuel bowl & never touched it again. He said it was one of those things he never got around to doing.

My goal is to get the bike running so I can see exactly what I have. I'd like to get the carburetors back on, bike reassembled & try to start it. My problem is I don't know where exactly to start. The original carbs are here, but I'm not sure I have all of the pieces. He says its all there, but until I go through them, who really knows?

What would be my best option to start? Should I buy a carb kit, fuel bowl & try to rebuild these? Send what I have in a box to someone more familiar with them & have them take a look at rebuilding them? Buy a used set of carbs & try them? I've read on here where people converted them to a single carb. Should I install a single carb?

Obviously money comes into play here & I don't want to spend a fortune on the carbs until I can at least get it running. I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice b/c I don't know what's available & what's the most cost effective place to start?

Thank you in advance

Just use the 79 carbs to get it running. They'll swap out no problem. Once you know both run without internal problems I'd say catch up on the maintenance and order single carb stuff.

How long, and in what environment has the bike been sitting? Were the intake ports covered well? You want to make sure the engine turns freely - remove the timing belt covers and turn the crankshaft bolt BY HAND.

If you can sort and arrange all the carb parts, and get a good picture of them, we can tell you if they are all there. Other than the broken fuel bowl (cheap on ebay), what condition do the parts look to be in? There are several routes to take here, depending on what you have to start with. If the rubber parts are there, and in good shape, you shouldn't need to buy the expensive kits. Each of the 4 carb bodies is slightly different, and only 2 of the fuel bowls are interchangable, so be sure you get the right one.

We'll help get you up and running...

The suggestion about using a known set of carbs is a good idea... you know the carbs are already working... second option it's too buy used set.. look on craigslist then eBay... you got a good buy on a project.. time was major expense so far... third option is the single carb.. but only after verified running.. we can work with you.. and pictures help for where you are and where you want to go..craigslist for me Hess been helpful. And I can talk to the seller before purchase also..

Thank you for all the replies.

Sometime today or tomorrow I will post up pics of the carbs. They're clean. I may be able to reassemble these & give them a try before I spend any serious money. I originally thought I'd use this bike as a parts bike but after getting it home, it doesn't look like it would take much to get it back on the street.

The original owner disassembled the bike in a carport. It had a roof but no sides. The bike is covered with dust but nothing that won't wash right off. He stuffed rags into the intake ports & covered them w/tape.

I will get on craigslist & ebay this weekend also & try to find some carb parts. I also need a seat & a front tire. I had a rear that will fit but I don't have an 18" front laying around. 17s & 19s are easy but around here an 18 seems to be a bit odd. I've called some MC shops around town & they said I'm welcome to dig through the take off pile. I'm hoping I can find one that way.

Thank you again

its hard to answer this question sometimes ... to me on a unknown bike ...your no way near carbs yet ....heck its good there off .....get the timing belt covers off .. this aint easy the way there done ...tight getting inside screw out carful with radiator so close .... then you can check timing belts... for being in time if it isn't struck ...id take valve cover off to to see how it looks in there could be all kinds of corrosion ... if it is free you can suck all the pistons down in cylinders haft way you can mess with valve stems and spring and clean all that using lots of spay lube stuff or what ever thin ...I use rubber hammer shock and wire brush on springs and valve stems ...with carbs off you have access in there to clean ...shop vacs are great tools to keep things clean ...

ok I guess what I am trying to say is by the time im ready to put carbs on I know its going to run

do take pics as it will help feedback ... :mrgreen:

If you have the space for it, sometimes a parts bike at the right price is a cheaper route than getting the parts you need for the one you have. I've had projects become parts bikes when the bike that was bought for parts was in better condition.

Not the only option but if you have the space and can find one locally at the right price, don't rule it out.

before you start throwing money on old original carbs, be aware that for a few c notes ($200), you can have a single carb conversion starting with brand new parts,

then you can do whatever you like with the old ones, lotsa old carb stories out there and often not cheap, to maybe get it right, you also have to sync 'em

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104225#p104225:7vdd0bky said:
82a » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:21 pm[/url]":7vdd0bky]
before you start throwing money on old original carbs, be aware that for a few c notes ($200), you can have a single carb conversion starting with brand new parts,

Now you've got my attention. I really do think I'm a front tire, carburetor & a couple weekends from having a good idea with what I've got.

I hate to ask but I've been looking about the single carb mod. I've found numerous threads about the pros & cons of the single carb. I've looked through the forum for the single carb threads. That's a lot of information to sort through.

Which intake & carb are you referring to that I can do for $200?

I found this on ebay. Is it a good set up or crap? https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLDWING-GL1000 ... 0828108718

Thank you again for the replies

Looks like a single barrel on too big of a manifold. Description is lacking and it's very pricey. Might want to read through some of the single carb threads here. Dan's build is doing great. As are a few others.

well it involves the weber 740 series of carbs theres a link somewhere for a new one for 90$ and it mounts to the type4 VW bug manifold plenum ..its about 50$ ...the rest to fit oldwing is up to you witch is not that bad here with all the help and info ...

That eBay listing is Juan Fernandez.
It says 39 sold and more than 10 available.

It could be working well but personally for that price I'd want to chat on the phone with some of the buyers to get their opinion.

When mentioned here a single can be built for $200, it's done by putting the parts together to hook up the vw plenum to the stock intake elbows at the cylinder heads. This is being done with both pipe and hose and clamped into place with rubber couplings.

As far as the carb goes, the Weber 2 barrel progressive 32/32 seems to work out best because the primary throat is smaller than a single carb so air and fuel is under better control size wise at smaller throttle openings.

I've made my own custom 1" runners and head flanges from 1/8th inch plate.
It seems to be matched well to the engines needs, breaths fine, and the 2 barrel weber, I've jetted as lean as I can get for good fuel economy.
Ive also made a coolant heat plate and mounted it to the bottom of the vw plenum.
This made a huge improvement in running and adjustability.

My Intake thread:
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=6794

image.php

Heat plate thread:
viewtopic.php?p=102600#p102600

image.php

here's the carb, takes a bit to fully load
https://stoveboltengineco.com/catalog/st ... id=1222026
SKU 08-8011
In stock
$90.00

These progressive two (2) barrel carburetors are New, not rebuilt, with an electric choke. These carburetors were originally used on a very small (97 cu.in.) engine and are not recommended for single carburetors usage on engines larger than this, but are an excellent choice for dual carb setups. (Order two (2) for 6 Cylinder Engines)
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=6986