Intruduction

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My love for motorcycles started in 1977 and have owned so many bikes that if I listed them here it would look like a hoax...or prove that I am truly crazy. My reasoning for owning a Goldwing over other big bikes(having owned 2 Yam. Ventures, a PC800, Yam. XS1100, Suzuki GS850 and many, many more) is the amazing parts and accessory availability, it doesnt hurt that a GL will fly/float down the highway all day and night treating the pilot to a nice smooth traveling sensation.
Another happy side effect of riding an 1100 Interstate is that most car drivers seem to respect the bulk of the bike and actually open their eyes when its pointed at them.
I purchased my 82 GL1100 last September and have been improving it ever since, the carbs were a barrel of fun to clean and adjust! :Egyptian:
My inclination is to try to fix things myself rather than pay the dealer and knowing how your bike works is very satisfying.
Id be happy to supply advice as well to anyone it benefits.
Phil

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Tanuki!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Tanuki":vhzpej78 said:
the amazing parts and accessory availability, it doesnt hurt that a GL will fly/float down the highway all day and night treating the pilot to a nice smooth traveling sensation.
that's exactly what i thought!

:hi: tip of the straw hat from the cowpaddy bingo capital of the free world ! :hi:

Auh man, we have a lot in common, I also had a Yamaha XS11, bad ass bike that one...Freakin engine would get hot man, really nice in the winter months but in the summer man it would get warm on the legs now... You said Crazy, man you are here and you are going to feel right at home...See Joe Drum is here and he is a nut..Pay him no mind he can't help it...Then there's Dan, watch it he's a sneaky one, he owns the site, then there's Ron, well he kinda looks like one of those ZZ top guy's but that is one sharp dude, he says he is working but you might catch him at the lake fishing :fishin: ..Then you have Apple, he is a nut case just like Joe he has a cat on his photo thingy, and Mac, poor guy has knee problems worse than mine and he likes boats, Gary is a really nice guy nothing but respect for that man....Only a little nuts... Oh and Tory boy he has a cool sidecar they say those guys with sidecars need the cars to keep them from falling down, And Wilcoy, what a guy, he sent me a post card once, from sturgus...And don't forget our DJ Rich, he has a freakin stereo on his ride man...Then there's Slabghost he lives in Ohio and he hates cutting his grass, ha ha...And Jim, really nice fella, bigger than Dallas that Jim, he did a coil mod. once I think :shock: ...And Chas, hey they just don't get any more laid back than Chas..He too is like Joe...Little bit on the coo coo side,and Mike up in Canadian, he will buy dinner if you get within 100 miles of him..ha ha Lonely guy :smilie_happy: ...And then all the other nuts on here I forgot about, I'm so sorry if I didn't remember you...I'll get you next time,,welcome to the site..Crazy guy...Hey I had a 750 ltd and a 750 csr kawasaki's both too..and a Nomad..I like the wing the best.. Badorderbob is also a nut..The place is full to the rim of them welcome aboard.. post some photo's after five posts or so..

late welcome from Las Vegas. All the things you said about the GL 1100 are indeed true. Can't believe I took so long to finally acquire one, it's a pleasure to ride and a good highway bike. I still prefer to zip around town on my 650 in hot weather but if I'm going any distance involving highway I'm taking the Wing regardless of the temp. Can't wait until the fall because here in Vegas Fall and Winter is the best riding anywhere.

The carbs ARE fun to work on as you know having been around a lot of bikes. Not too crazy about taking them on and putting them back but the rest, cleaning, repairing and tuning is a hoot. I'm sure you will add to this knowledgeable group.