Jeep tires sitting in the sun baking..what to put on them to preserve?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with a Jeep that Lets it sit out in the sun, It has brand new 33`s this year and I noticed that the sidewalls have a light oxidation on them and short of Armor All is there anything I can put on them to protect the rubber while it sits?..I was thinking Vaseline or some other substance I could just slather on, I told her she needs to get some RV wheel covers but she is slow to act, going out there later and thought if there was something simple no matter how it looks I could apply.
Thanks.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128451#p128451:ai5is06e said:
zman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:42 pm[/url]":ai5is06e]
I told her she needs to get some RV wheel covers
Best answer rite thar. I have also used large/beach towels on them if needed. I don't know of any "Protectant" that will NOT damage the rubber, especially Armor All....I hate that stuff. :nea:

Old shirts work best but look worst. You could try some sunscreen. I never use the stuff on myself but on tires it might be good. They used to make vinyl top wax with uv protection. Could try that if you can find any.

Thanks for the advice, went up there and took a tire off to get a slow leak fixed, turns out the guys at the tire store are Jeep enthusiast and wondered if it was for sale..Think I`ll advise her to sell it, It needs driven, she never drives it and it is just wasting away out in the sun...no good for the car or its value.

Interesting..Oil would be cheap and easy, wood would be difficult because the wheels stick out the fender wells, T shirts would have to be XXXXL to get around those 33`s..If she doesn't sell it I`ll ride her about the wheel covers or at least some tarps for each wheel.

Maybe worth rotating the tires on the rims if it doesn't cost too much Jeff :yes:

The tire turning she wont do, she likes her black walls out(gotta love that)...Driveway is full so cross parking cant be done, car too tall to get into the garage even if the garage was empty...
I found an old car cover I used on my full size long bed truck, I think that may be enough to cover it...will take it over and see if it drapes down low enough to cover it all.
She`s a chip off the old block, her father parked this running 40 Dodge in his back yard in 1958, there it sat until just a few years ago...Trying to break the family traditions. :mrgreen:
DSCF1549_zps302f8078.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128608#p128608:1zui0uqa said:
NCScooter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:30 am[/url]":1zui0uqa]
I don't think oil is a good idea. There is something in my head that says that will age and weaken the rubber. Dust will stick to 'em like a son of a gun. Here's a product, cheaper than a sheet of plywood.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YJ ... GBM4AY50G3
I like that..Thanks for the tip.

Wow, sounds like my Jeep.
I only drive it when I go camping / dirtbike riding and my garage is full with motorcycles.

The previous set of tires (Michelin) developed surface cracks so I let them go only after 5 years with lots of tread left.
Now I have cheap Chinese tires.
The tire shop guy suggested some tire protectant thing from auto store so that's what I use now...