Jig Saw recommendation

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES. I determined to make myself an alloy gas tank for my XT!
I guess I need a jig saw to cut sheet metal.
Any recommendations?
Is HF item good enough?
Is laser guide useful?
What amp?
Is dust blower/shute useful?

Make sure you get one that goes Up/Down, and not Down/Up....there's a difference.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sorry...I couldn't help meself... :blush:

My only recommendation would be to get a name brand, if you plan on having it around for a while for other projects.

AApple":2xa3vjqk said:
Make sure you get one that goes Up/Down, and not Down/Up....there's a difference.....

Sorry...I couldn't help meself... :blush:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Careful of what kind of advice you ask for around here! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

ok ...t shank jig saw blades are the only saws to have ...my present one is a porter cable with varible speed triger ...harbor feight jig saw copy of bosche jig saw is probably pretty good but its the non varible speed one the last i look at them ...bousches top handle varible speed is a nice jigger too ...T shank blades are the deal tho for sure everything else breaks ....it was always stupid to put holes in blades ...thats exactly where they break

AApple":gcszlzch said:

Ummm.
That sounds very important. I will make a note of it. :smilie_happy:

As for brand-names, HF is becoming quite a brand-name in my garage.
I have HF drill press, HF MIG welder, HF foldable trailer, HF bench grinder, HF rachet tie downs...
Maybe I should go with HF this time also. :hihihi:

joedrum":2wmkzh44 said:
ok ...t shank jig saw blades are the only saws to have ...my present one is a porter cable with varible speed triger ...harbor feight jig saw copy of bosche jig saw is probably pretty good but its the non varible speed one the last i look at them ...bousches top handle varible speed is a nice jigger too ...T shank blades are the deal tho for sure everything else breaks ....it was always stupid to put holes in blades ...thats exactly where they break

Thanks Joe for "real" advice. :good:

Is this HF one is a T shank? It doesn't say. It says it's a variable speed.
https://www.harborfreight.com/orbital-jigsaw-with-laser-cutting-guide-94560.html

Okay, this one says T/U shank.
https://www.lowes.com/pd_305666-353...31998&Ntt=jig+saw&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

Same price and similar features as HF one.
Is "Skil" a brand name?

EDIT: HF one says it's T/U shank. I should go with "trusty" HF then? :hihihi:

harbor feight is out ...its a possition varible speed and not trigger operated tthat gives 0- wharever speed....seems the skill is ...table looks sucky ....looked at others it seems the porter cable is the best jigger for the price ...at 69bucks at lowes ...the skill will do ...but jiggers are hard on the metal it amazes me they last so long ...my porter cable is 25yrs old id say ...its way better than skills jigger

Thank you both.

PC got some really bad reviews. "PC is not what it used to be.."
Bosch only got 4 reviews but all of them are good.
Maybe I will go with $99 Bosch.

Heck how about a 4.oo Black & Decker one of there newer models. Have had for 2 years now and have cut about every think i can think...Heck if it craps out no biggie at 4.00