K&N filters, are they worth it?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
The cost for a K&N is much more than the stock paper for our bike.

What is your opinion of them?

I installed one on both my service van and suburban because they were actually less $ than stock filters and comparison air flow videos I watched show they are much better with less restriction but are those comparisons for real and do they filter as good?

We have a good thread on here somwhere that has a report on the air flow for these filters. Bottom line was, K&N filters do allow more particles to get through than standard paper filters. If you are in a real clean environment, maybe it is not an issue. They do boost your power a touch because of the increased air flow, but that same air flow also allows more intake noise making it kinda growl when you throttle up!

I took mine out after reading the report....and....I really didn't like the intake noise. I still have the filter and cleaning kit if you would like it!

Dan,
I have used my K&N for 2 years... washed and oiled it 2x
it seems the same as the day I installed it...
but I have the original paper filter also.
thinking about changing it out to see if it makes a difference.
I currently struggle to get 35mpg usually its around 33.
and I'v been wondering if the filter might have something to do with it...
I know our vacuum operated slide carbs need the vacuum on the fresh air side...
I opened the airbox with a few 3/8's holes, and installed the K&N at the same time, without thinking about the way the carbs work..
now I have been wondering...
I think I will grab a airbox cover stock... and change back to the paper filter just for a ride..

hoping for better performance and better fuel economy.

Personally I shy away from purchasing vehicles that have K&N filters on them. They are great for racing, they do flow more air, but in test I have read they do not filter as well as a standard paper filter. Some sources of info are Motor Oil Bible, and Bob is the Oil Guy, both available online.
One good point they make, even if the K&N filters the same, but flows 10% more air, thats 10% more particles making it into your engine.
Plus it is so much easier to take out a paper filter and put in a new one, that all that time cleaning and re-oiling a K&N. I usually just buy good quality filters, like WIX or Puralator. (No Fram for me)

Interesting topic here. My wing came with a K&N on it.
So I think I will try a paper filter and see what happens.
Don't need anymore particles getting in.

rkthev":26m36q3b said:
Personally I shy away from purchasing vehicles that have K&N filters on them. They are great for racing, they do flow more air, but in test I have read they do not filter as well as a standard paper filter. Some sources of info are Motor Oil Bible, and Bob is the Oil Guy, both available online.
One good point they make, even if the K&N filters the same, but flows 10% more air, thats 10% more particles making it into your engine.
Plus it is so much easier to take out a paper filter and put in a new one, that all that time cleaning and re-oiling a K&N. I usually just buy good quality filters, like WIX or Puralator. (No Fram for me)

10% more air, thats 10% more particles making it into your engine

Thats why I don't start my bike. No particles getting in there....

:head bang: Personally I think folks worry a bit more than they should. These worrisome particles have to go around the front of the bike. Sneak in the side and go up into the faux tank to enter the top of the air box from the rear. Airflow changes directions several more times. After all this it's subjected to a violent explosion and ejected out the exhaust.
Considering all this, just what tiny particles are we concerned about? What micron size material light enough to actually be drawn in can actually cause damage? How many actually ride in sandstorms on a regular basis?

I tend to agree with slabghost on this and not agree with 10% more air equals 10% more particles getting past.
Also its been said by someone already, if it was an inferior design it wouldn't have lasted so many years.
When you look closely at the filter its not like you can see holes in it for dirt to get through and when oil is added to it that attracks dirt particles.

I put one on both my cars.
Before installing I wiped the filtered side of the housing clean with windex and paper towels, it was plenty dirty after 50k miles.
The truth for me will be what the housing looks like after the K&N has been in for as long.

I agree that paper is better.Take a look inside you computer,you would be amazed at where stuff can get.Alot of the newer cars have a filter INSIDE the car for the A/C.When we change them we constantly find leaves,Bugs,and tons of dust.And this is just air from inside the car.No outside air.So imagine what goes thru an engine without a good filter. :roll:

i've been using a k&n air filter in my '79 750k since i got it back in '84. i clean the filter every winter while the bike is in hibernation. i'm going to try a uni-filter in the 750f. i've had a k&n in the 1200 for the last three years so i guess there should be 30% more particles in the combustion chamber but i haven't noticed, it runs just fine as does the 750k. what i will say about k&n air filters is that some bikes don't like the extra air flow that it allows

slabghost":n9g9b1il said:
:head bang: Personally I think folks worry a bit more than they should. These worrisome particles have to go around the front of the bike. Sneak in the side and go up into the faux tank to enter the top of the air box from the rear. Airflow changes directions several more times. After all this it's subjected to a violent explosion and ejected out the exhaust.
Considering all this, just what tiny particles are we concerned about? What micron size material light enough to actually be drawn in can actually cause damage? How many actually ride in sandstorms on a regular basis?
I guess that does particles do find their way in all those places you have mentioned and end up inside the combustion chamber...they have micron size as you said and they do contribute to wear on rings,pistons & valves but of course in the long run.

dan filipi":2plpwhbj said:
The cost for a K&N is much more than the stock paper for our bike.

What is your opinion of them?

I installed one on both my service van and suburban because they were actually less $ than stock filters and comparison air flow videos I watched show they are much better with less restriction but are those comparisons for real and do they filter as good?
Have you noticed any difference in performance with them installed Dan?It may have a different throttle response and the bike though :headscratch: .

rkthev":1cwy6wti said:
Same here,I agree totally with you :yes: .