Krazy's GL1100 A Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I have gone through the ignition switch a few times now. It's working now, but I am not confident in it, but I did find a way to fit a toggle switch into the mix without cutting the wires. So now even if the switch does not work, I have a toggle switch that does the same thing for now.

For some reason the radio and volt meter stopped working. I checked 4 fuses in the fairing and they were blown. I also fixed a broken wire that was going to the amp. The gauge light in the volt meter is getting power, but the voltmeter itself is not getting power. So I believe the radio is not getting power. I have looked at both bike and radio schematics and have not yet tracked down the problem. I can't seem to find where the problem is. I guess tomorrow I'm going to pull the fairing and see if I can tell if the problem with the power is with something on the bike or something on the fairing. Maybe I can just pull the plug that goes to the fairing and check there instead of pulling the fairing again.

I'm defiantly out of gas now, and need to rebuild or replace that petcock before it bites me, it ran the tank dry when in the on position, so it leaks internally. It only leaks externally when switched to reserve, and I could almost live with that for a little while, but not having any reserve will eventually cause me to run out of gas (probably at the worst possible time).

I am also not sure that the dash lights are working, I may go check that tonight before the sun comes up. Even before when I knew they were working they didn't seem bright enough. I want to look into changing these bulbs to some brighter LEDs or something.

Still not much I can do to the old girl without money right now, though I am sure that with a bit of effort on my part I can keep rebuilding this old girl.

I noticed something bad from last time I started it. The lot meter was not working, and the radio was not working. Upon further examination, every fuse in the fairing was blown. Tracing wires, I found a loose wire going to the rectifier/regulator (reference voltage wire). I got power every place it is supposed to be now, but no voltmeter or radio... Took the voltmeter apart and the wiring inside is ashes, so I'm thinking that the volts spiked and took out the radio and voltmeter. I now get a bit of static from the radio when I try to turn it on, and the intercom seems to work (couldn't test thoroughly), but no display on the dash, and no tuning. So I took out the tuner, and opened it up.... Many blown caps.

I hope it's just the tuner box that is bad, but have no real way of knowing. I am going to need to buy a new voltmeter sometime, having one that doesn't work is going to bug me. The radio I really don't need that badly, but would be nice if I could get it to work before summer. If anybody has any ideas of how I could test the rest of the system, so I can know if I need to get any other parts before making up my mind to fix the tuner or send it off someplace to have it fixed.

I bet you could just replace the group of capacitors, the 4 bigger power supply capacitors, look for any other bulged capacitors while your in there. I had heard finding a tech to work on these was difficult, one guy that did I head no longer does.

I have some electronics experience, and used to rebuild radios and tv sets for a hobby, and only would work on things that were older, like this radio. I just know that I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things like this and may spend a whole bunch of time working on it, when I know that Sierra electronics still works on them, and there is always ebay. So I'm not sure if I want to tackle it or not, and if I do mess it up worse (it has been about 10 years since I did electronic work like this) then I doubt that anyone would fix it. Maybe later I'll dig through my big shelf of radio schematics and see if this happens to be in there (the guy at the local tv repair shop used to give me a bunch of schematics that he was not going to use).

If I go without a radio this year, I won't feel too bad, my GL500 does not have one, and I was ok with that. And while I have this all apart, I found a thread on another forum about adding bluetooth to one of these radios, so I think I may try and do that.

On a side note, there is a switch that someone added to the fairing above the locking pocket, that I have no idea what it does. It has power, and I can not find where the wires go, and it doesn't seem to do anything when I switch it. I as of yet have not been able to determine where the wires for it actually go. I was thinking that I may hook it up to some driving lights in the future, but need to figure out where it goes now.

I don't know about the radio but the mystery switch may be for the radiator cooling fan. Did you try it with the key on?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110450#p110450:1x108xxi said:
slabghost » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:02 am[/url]":1x108xxi]
I don't know about the radio but the mystery switch may be for the radiator cooling fan. Did you try it with the key on?

Good thought, I thought that too... Haven't checked yet. If I remember the cooling fan operated correctly when it warmed up, but I didn't check it thoroughly. I'm going to check it out a bit later, but I won't be able to run the engine to warm it up as I ran it out of gas on my last trip out. I'll keep looking around though, hopefully I can figure it out before I get money, so I know what I want to order.

Took apart the ignition switch again, and got it to work when bench testing. However when actually bolted back on the bike it does not work. I also wired up my auxiliary switch to bypass the ignition switch, and my bypass switch works properly. So for now my ignition switch doesn't work, but if I open the fake tank I can flip my toggle switch and the electrical works properly. I think I will leave it like that for now. My toggle switch is wired to do exactly what the ignition switch would do if it were working properly. Unfortunatly the Aspencade switch is a beast all it's own, and if I do take it apart again any time soon I will take pictures of the dissassembly, and explain how I have tried to fix it. I think the back cover is simply not pushing the back of the switch hard enough to make it work right now.

On the up side I did diagnose the radio thoroughly, and it is just the tuner box that is dead, all other functions seem to work. I still need to find another cb so I can test to see if it is working properly, but I think it is.

I dropped two nuts that hold my gauges into the fairing and can not find them. I couldn't find my magnet, and hope to find it before I go back into the fairing.

I also figured what that switch on my dash does... It does nothing. It was still hooked to power, but the other wire just ended down inside the fairing. I have decided to clean the contacts up on that switch and use it for my future addition of driving lights. I will wire them through a relay, and breaker when I get them... whenever that will be. For now I have disconnected it from the power.

So as it sits now, everything is put back together. I am just waiting on money to buy parts.

Sorry for the long winded posts, kinda think that writing about what I'm doing helps keep me motivated to keep working on this old girl.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110634#p110634:316jywcq said:
Krazy48446 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:29 am[/url]":316jywcq]
I also figured what that switch on my dash does... It does nothing. It was still hooked to power, but the other wire just ended down inside the fairing. I have decided to clean the contacts up on that switch and use it for my future addition of driving lights. I will wire them through a relay, and breaker when I get them... whenever that will be. For now I have disconnected it from the power.

Make sure you use LED driving lights or maybe even 35w Hid lights at the most otherwise you will be drawing heaps of current..

I was out doing a bit of work in town today, and came across a different wing. When I paid my storage I saw a Goldwing sitting next to the door to the office, and I asked "what's up with that motorcycle there?". Well... Apparently it came from a unit that was forfeited, and they have been trying to sell it to recoup the money owed on the unit. They say they want $1000 for it. I think I may be able to talk them down quite a bit, since they say "It doesn't run right" Needs new tires from sitting, and probably carb work. I had to go and didn't have much time to look at it, it's either a 1000 or 1100, and has Vetter fairing and bags on it. I'm not sure if I want it, but am sure I probably should spend the money on other things (like food and rent) when I actually get money.

It did get me thinking though, how many of you guys have had both the stock fairing and a vetter fairing, and which did you prefer and why?

All of mine are Vetter. I do like the look of the Hondaline dress. Seems Vetter bags have more room and stay together better though.

I wouldnt pay more then 5 bills for a questionable wing, there is just too many thing that may need done to get them up and running when you have no history , Need to look at everything, tires, expect a full carb rebuild, gas tank drain and clean,belts,fluids, fork seals,,battery,hoses and maybe things you cant see like head gaskets,maybe parked because of a belt break?, Maybe wont need all or maybe very little but buy it as if it was all needed. If it looks like a gem that will clean up with soap and wax that is a plus.
I have grown to like the vetters since I bought my GL, really looks more areodynamic and pleasant to the eye.
Still nothing better then riding a goldwing once it is all proper but getting there can take some time and money.

I don't think I will be getting it anyway, but they say it runs, and I may offer them $400 and go to $500 when I get some money in a few months. From what one of the guys that work there told me is that they have had it for sale for a year now. They say $1000, but I'm guessing they could be negotiated down to $500. Depends on how much time it takes me to get money and how much I get.

I already have enough on my plate right now, and I think that working on my bikes that I have will probably take all the money that I have coming to make what I have now as best as I can, but when I see an old wing sitting there, I just want to take care of it.

I couldn't stand the cold weather that we were having here and decided to go out and start up the bike. The good news first. It started up with only a bit of hesitation because I ran it completely out gas last time I ran it. I ran it until the fan kicked on and off a few times. The cooling fan seems to be working properly.

The bad news is that when I was taking my flash light and looking all around while it was running, I noticed an oil leak. It's marking it's spot... :head bang: If I wanted spots on the garage floor I would have bought a Harley :smilie_happy: Anyway... it's leaking oil from the water pump weep hole. All oil, no water. After doing a bit of reading I think it's one of the oil seals behind the water pump. I hope that when I take it apart the water pump is still good and I can just replace the seals. Am I being too optimistic here or will I have to replace the water pump too?

The starter also seems to be going bad :head bang: . When I start it cold it cranks fine, but when warm the starter doesn't want to turn the engine over well. The starter it self gets hot to the touch, but when it cools down it turns over again. So I think I may have to add the starter rebuild stuff to my list of parts. Hopefully the starter is not too far gone to rebuild. I have read starter rebuilt threads, how common is it to be able to rebuild these? Or am I being optimistic here?

I'm still waiting on my money, so I can order my parts. I'm still sure, even with these new problems that I will have this bike road worthy by the time riding season starts. I wish I could do more work on it, and less finding problems, but I'm kinda glad I'm finding these things out now before I start riding it.

There are kits available on EBay, used to be around $35. Some have had success rebuilding them, some have not. Take the lower hose spout off and use you finger to wiggle the pump, you'll know right away. I did one on a 1200 last year. Have to do a 1000 and an 1100 this year when it warms up. I don't recall a successful tutorial on them.

Does anyone know if there is any way to adjust the Markland style heel-toe shifter on these. My motorcycle is equipped with one, and the heel-toe shifter seems placed too far rearward. It slips off the shifter, not all the time, but when I put what is probably a bit more pressure then I should on it when down shifting. I looked, a little bit ago, and didn't see any way to move it forward so it engages with the shifter better. I tightened the bolts on it (they were a bit loose) and it's better now, and doesn't just slip off anymore. It still isn't quite right. If there is not an easy way to adjust it a bit, I will have my welder make a few modifications so it holds the shifter better. This is the first bike I have had with a heel-toe shifter, and I have yet to make up my mind about it. When it stays where it is supposed to, it's not too bad, but I'm really used to having foot pegs, and may after this summer change it. I am going to fix it and give it a good try, and decide if I like it.

I'll try to post some more pics soon, I made a video of starting the bike cold (it was about 5°F out in the garage when I made the video and the bike had not been started in at least 16 hours). I think I'm going to edit it, and post it to youtube so you guys can her her run.

Edit:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juo6cux63Aw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here is the video. It wasn't warm, starts that easy every time (unless I let it sit for a few days then has to crank a bit).

(mcgovern61 edit: fixed YouTube link)

I got an idea of the color I may eventually want to paint my motorcycle.
Sadly I am not the greatest with photo editing programs, but I have been messing with them and came up with this.

Whatcha guys think? I still can't do much actual work on the bike because of money issues, but it's on my mind. I keep working, and keep thinking about it.

I was thinking with a bit more shimmer to the paint, however I can't figure out how to make it look like it has more clear coat on it.

Looks like a dark cherry color. That should be very nice. If you decide to add metallic to it . Gold would look real nice.