Krazy's GL1100 A Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a color I have seen on older 1800's! (Very nice!!) One of my favorites!

image.php

Just for ideas, here is an '84 1200 in red and an '01 Valkyrie in red:

image.php

image.php

Kinda what I was thinking. The color I was going for is a dark cherry. I was thinking maybe gold pinstripes, hidden inside the red. My brother has painted for many years, and says that he can do what I am thinking, and that it will look good, but he also said it will be a big pain, and that I will be doing a whole lot of work to get everything properly prepped.

I'm not sure yet, but that is how I see it in my mind right now.

The yellow it is now is growing on me, and my nephew has started calling it "the school bus".

It's got that brown seat, and whatever color I paint her, I will probably keep the seat. (it's damn comfortable)

Yellow is nice but I wouldn't count on it being any safer. My Dakota is New Holland yellow and is sitting in the carport smashed. Someone tried to push the bed in the cab with me.

Ok so, not much new here. Still no money for parts, and snowing. So I continue to go out to the garage and spend time with my bike. She's got a new name, I think I'm going to call her Alice. Every time I start her up she runs better. Idle is a bit high at about 1250rpm, throttle response is good and improving the more she runs. Part of the digital display stopped working, the part with the fuel gauge and trip meter. Not sure what that's about but I read about someone else with that problem that fixed it by replacing the cluster. For now I will live without the fuel gauge, I never had one on a bike before and until I get a bit more money I don't want to rip into it. The oil leak seems to be getting better. :music: I think the seal may have been a bit dry from sitting, but whatever it is it is not dripping much anymore. I hope it continues to get better. I read that sometimes if you run it for a while it will stop leaking, and it seems like it is.

I am thinking about pulling my starter off and going thru it. I think I have a tube of grease around here someplace to repack the gears after. If I do, I will be taking the starter apart in the next few days.

I also think I remembered where I put my aluminum polish, so I may have to clean and polish some parts and take some pictures of shiny things.

Meanwhile here in the middle of nowhere, the snow keeps coming down, and the wind is howling outside. I can't wait for warm weather. Where is that global warming they promised us?

I went and pulled the starter yesterday. I was removing the bolt below the shifter area, the lower bolt on the starter. The bolt broke :head bang: So now I really am not sure what to do. There is no easy way to get what is left of that bolt out, its not in a good place to reach. I did get the starter working really good though. For now I bolted the starter up, and tested it a few times, and it does not seem to move when engaged. So for now I plan on leaving it, hoping that I can get away with it until next winter when I will have time to fix it correctly.

I adjusted the idle speed down to 1100rpm and it holds good, but seems to have a slight hesitation when trying to rev quickly. It doesn't have that same hesitation when revving with the idle set at 1250rpm. I did only let it warm up to one bar on the digital temperature gauge. I will have to see if the hesitation goes away when fully warm, but I did not have enough time to work on her yesterday.

The oil leak from the water pump weep hole has stopped, and I think that it sealed itself back up. I wonder how long my bike sat before I got it? She acts like a bike that was sitting for quite some time, getting little bugs worked out she runs stronger every time I start her. I can't wait for the weather to get a bit better here and I can resume normal riding. Though I do ride most of the winter, I know that heavy bikes and ice do not go well together.

Now she starts every time I hit the button. Cranks over fast, and seems to run really strong. I do wish I had another 1100 to ride, just to confirm that she rides as well as I think she does.

That bottom bolt twisting off seems to be a common problem, but others have run with just the one bolt with no problems. Glad you got it running again! :clapping:

yep me too great job ... I have one with bolt twisted off ... if you look at the inside of casing there just enough casting to make threads ... this is not a place to get aggressive .. you could loose the block for a starter bolt ... not me .. there are many ways to deal with starter and not put the motor at risk ... so I left it alone ... ive had no problem so far

Well.... I broke something else again. I went out to the garage and was playing with the bike again, and pressed down on the shifter to put her into gear and the shifter fell off. The bolt that holds the shifter broke.. :head bang:

So, I took off the floorboard and got the threaded part of the bolt out. It came out pretty easily actually. I think the bolt was weak, as it looks like it was made from the weakest metal known to man. Looks almost like there was an air bubble in the bolt that made it just snap. I have no idea how it lasted this long.

I have been trying to get in touch with my welder man, he usually has lots of strange bolts laying around, and probably has a bolt that will fit.

I played with it a bit and by adjusting the stock shifter a bit I will be able to shift until I can get a replacement bolt.

All the little things seem to want to go wrong.

I also noticed that the floorboard had been scraped pretty bad, not just enough to tip it up, but deep scratches on the hard points. Whoever had my bike before me was fearless. They must have put her right down going through corners.

Should be able to get a replacement bolt at any hardware or car parts store. Just take the pieces with you to compare. The floorboards don't allow the bike to lean as far the pegs will. I've read they take some time to get used to.

That's one of the disadvantages of floor boards. I like the little wear nubs in the stock pegs (they are wearing) and the pegs flip up as well, I just sometimes forget to move my boot so it wears a little also...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112746#p112746:esamdbgo said:
Krazy48446 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:50 pm[/url]":esamdbgo]
I also noticed that the floorboard had been scraped pretty bad, not just enough to tip it up, but deep scratches on the hard points. Whoever had my bike before me was fearless. They must have put her right down going through corners.

Thre's nothing wrong with dragging the floorboards from time to time. Afterall, that is why they are mounted so they can pivot up. Now if you are dragging the highway boards, that might be a different subject. :shock:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHNnOHuikI[/video]

It's snowing again tonight. I went for a ride today, just around the block. She ran great. Went and got the bolt to put the shifter back together, but haven't done it yet. It is not easy shifting without that heel-toe shifter, the floorboards don't let me get my toe under the shifter well. I will be putting it back together next time I go out to the garage.

I also went around the block on my silverwing today. I lost a bolt that holds the center stand on that. I found another one and replaced it. Though the center stand was bent and I had to remove it until I can bend it back. The silverwing didn't run so great. Stalled twice, I think the ethanol in the gas separated and after a few times around the block she started running right again. Lots of other small problems with the silverwing, and I won't get into them here. Maybe I'll start a thread on that one when I get it into the garage and start pulling it apart.

Alice on the other hand performed flawless... Aside from a couple of miss shifts because of me, and the shifter still being apart. Really gotta give her a bath though. I have had dirt bikes that were cleaner than she is now.