Leaning

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I have read lots of posts about how these bikes handle....some like the low center of gravity, some mention hard to handle at low speeds (heavy bike), some talk about scraping foot boards or pegs going into turns.....all of this leads to a question....how far do you lean when turning?

Now, I am not asking for anyone to do post anything more than their experience, not setup a thread to teach how to ride a motorcycle! But in that idea, I would like to see how we handle our wings safely.

For example...I have several long curved highway on-ramps that I take to get to work. Starting at the top is a stop light and you wind your way down to a highway that has traffic already doing an average 70 MPH as you enter. I find that as I lean the bike into the curves and keep my body leaning the other way while accelerating, the bike just drives itself right into the bank of the curve real nice!

I took my floorboards off because I really hated that whole scraping into the turn thingy! With the condition of some of the roads around here, I always expected the scraping floorboard to hit a pothole and tear off. (With my foot still attached!) I never did motorcross or ever found myself desiring to see how fast I could go into a curve without dropping the bike. Just curious!

I have a hard time leaning mine far enough to scrape the pegs.
It will do it but I don't feel comfortable about doing it.
Maybe it's the weight, the size, sure it has a lot to do with me being somewhat of a wimp and not wanting to lay it down too.
I've had the front tire kick out a couple times in a turn hitting gravel, that has slowed me down quite a bit.

My first real street bike was a Honda CB360.
I could lay that thing on it's side in the turns and not thing a think of it, course I was 16 then and we all know we're invincible at that age.

I'd really like to get some time on a sport bike to hone my skills some.
Just seems very hard to do on a full dress Wing.

Some turns around here are 90 degrees on two lane. I try to lean less than it takes to scrape pegs but still do it occasionally.

I sometimes scrape my boards just turning corners from a stoplight! I have a few times scraped in long, sweeping curves, but not very often. Seems like I have more scrapage at slow speeds myself. It's also the main reason I keep my tootsies up on the hiway pegs, instead of on the boards....I sure dread mashin some toes between the board an the heads....ouch!

My 82 Standard seems to set higher off the ground than my 83 Interstate. The 82 has pegs and I've never scraped them. The 83 has boards and they kiss the pavement often, but seldom what I would call a real scrape. Mostly turning street corners at lower speeds. I don't recall off hand scraping them going around curves. Guess I'm just not hung well enough to ride that agressively. :oops:

I have never dragged a peg on Baby before I got the Voyager kit on her as IMHO they are touring bikes which means sit back & enjoy the ride. If I want to try & break some speed record on the "Tail", I will get a sport bike or Gran Prix. But when I am cruising the hwy, that is a different story. I usually have my speed around 120-130KPH. High speed cornering is not my forte. Like Dan I have almost lost it in a couple. :yahoo: :yahoo: :music3: :music2:

I drag the boards on my 82 Asppy off & on and that would be from the mood that I'm in at the time, the thing to remember is not to ride above your ability, just because someone else is riding BTTW does not mean you have to show them what you got :moped: :moped: :moped:

I do have my days that if I turn more aggressively I scrape my pegs.it also depends on how high or low your bike is setted up(air compressed).On normal riding I usualy don't drag pegs except when exiting a freeway with a sharp turn and vehicles kinda close behind.

i think 1200 wings have more ground clearance than 1100 wings and i know my 1500 wing has more ground clearance than what my 1200 wing has. both have pegs and i am happy to say that other than dropping one of them while parked that no hard parts have touched the ground while riding

bk2valve":1u7j2lm3 said:
Joedrum....yabbut, only funny when we're talking about it....I have just about soiled me knickers more than once on an unplanned takeoff.... :shock: :beg: :thanks:
:shock: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: