LED lighting upgrade made easy

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA-wing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with what to do to make myself more visible without going overboard. I had already converted the tail light along with the turn signals/running lights on the bags with good results, but still thought I needed to do something else. I found these LED running/turn lights at O'Reilies. Bought a trailer light converter to adapt the seperate lights to the combination Running/Turn/Stop. I mounted the lights on a piece of aluminum diamond plate. I also added a third light as a running/stop in the center and an LED strip light as a license plate light. I brought all the wiring up through a six conductor modular trailer connector so I can still disconnect my trunk. This was all accomplished on a Saturday afternoon, with a 6-pack of brewskies and about $80 What do you think?

Attachments

• LightsOff.jpg
    LightsOff.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 346
  • Lights1.jpg
    Lights1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 347
:good: :eek:k:
Cain't have too many lights! :mrgreen: Looks good, and I'm sure you're much more visible now, too!

I hear ya' on the brake modulator, maybe once I rebuild the bike funds after vacation. I had a problem with the first light converter, when I used the hazard flasher, the rear lights were doing a wig-wag. Exchanged it for another one and now they work like they should.

The extra lights are nice! However, on my '82 I only have extra reflectors. On my recent trip to Ohio, I burned out one brake light bulb. I decided this was the time to switch to LED 1157 replacements and I got two all red replacements for AutoZone.

First thing I noticed at night is that the red LED does not light up the license plate any more. :doh:

Secondly, I was riding behind my bike with some else riding mine in the daylight and I realized I could not see my tail light in the day light! :doh:

I switched back to two new 1157 regular bulbs and rode behind it again and it made a big difference! Personally, I will use LED for markers and other lights, but not the tail/brake light. :fiddle:

That's what was bothering me, I wanted to go with LEDs to try and take some of the electrical load off the system. I initialy installed 1157LED and 1156LED bulbs but they were just not bright enough. When I stumbled on these LED trailer lights that are extremly freekin' bright and then I found a Blue/white micro LED strip that I mounted under the tail light to illuminate the license plate. I'm pretty happy with the results. When I'm sitting at a light the LEDs flat light up the front of the car behind me. I still have conventional bulbs in the front trun signals, but I'm still trying to find suitable replacements for those. I may change the side relectors on the fairing and the bags to lighted yellow LED reflectors. I have seen some that are almost the same size as the original relectors. Oh, the lights were made by Optronics.

This is my LED 1156 & 1157 replacements in the Vetter. I used to be a little nervous about them showing up in the daytime, but other people tell me they light up good so I do feel better about it.

Here they are at night showing the LED license plate bolt lights.

I'd like to go LED on the Interstate, but that'll have to wait for funding. I do need to do something about the turn signals. I'd really like to keep the light bar, but as you can see in the picture it covers half the turn signals. I don't know what I want to do yet. All the sockets in the bar are two wire for single filiment. I have thought about just adding some bullet style lights for signals. Maybe one at each corner of the bar. Or maybe even under the trunk bar. I'm open for suggestions, as I'm really undecided about what to do. One good thing, though, being underfunded gives me time to plan and look around. :yes:
crw0010.jpg