long time follower/lurker 1st post

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ih8boats

Reaction score
I say hello with much respect to all you riders,restorers and modifiers. Iv been watching and trying to keep up with the pack by emulating the many successes in single carb conversions , poor boy alt conversions and the many benefits of gettin naked. (the bike of course) but now i hoped to be allowed on the porch with the big dogs to ask questions to get to the next level. I have a nice set of gl1100 heads/'76 gl1000 cams waiting for install on my gl1200. But been been wanting to upgrade my ignition system (possible c5 in my future) to rule out bugs there before complicating things further with cams. any thoughts on getting the components one piece at a time for ex. the quad tower coil from Paul and using it with the stock gl1200 ecm,till i can afford the full package, and will the power arc module fit in the stock gl1000 housing or do i have to use the c5 housing? it is real pretty though. Ill listen to all opinions and am open to your suggestions, thanks in advance-- ih8boats.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

No big dogs on the porch here! All questions are good and everyone loves to participate in the responses (even the incorrect responses can be fun sometimes!) :yes:

hmmm id say the 1200 ignition might fail with the new coils ...but not sure there ...im the builder of hooch ..its a 1200 with 1100 heads ...early cams ..like your talking in a 1000 frame bike with 1200 swing arm and final drive ...welcome to classic ....

if it was me id go ahead and change heads and cams first ...the 1200 iggy will operate with that done ...i know ive done it ....but i doutb the 1200 carb rack will work though ...when i did my 1200 mod bike stock carb racks from honda didnt work ...not just 1200 either i tried them all ..my bike is a single carb bike ...its basically a weber copy 2bl progressive carb ....took awhile to get it to work right ...many mods to the carb to work good and get good mpg ...now the bike is a beast ... it also has a c5 iggy ...there is also some piston relief to do on intake valve so they dont hit the pistons with the 76 cams used

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, Brian i see you are a member of both single carb and c5 schools of thought whats your opinion whether the power arc module will fit in stock gl100 points housing?if i could even get it that way. ih8boats--greg

Oh wow thanks for the reply joedrum i dident expect to hear from (The Man) on the first post. sorry i forgot to mention i also am runnin single carbs its the tom langdon 32/32 on both my gl1100 and gl1200 one on vw manifold and one self built aluminum just to let you know you motivated me to get this far by reading all your shared experiences.

1st things first. C5 is a complete ignition system and the coils will not work with stock ignition. Second the relief for the valves on the piston tops will need enlarged a bit. Third.Be absolutely certain the gasket surfaces for head and block are dead flat. Last. If you can't / won't run with the big dogs stay on the porch is how it goes.Welcome to the madness. I saw you online and wondered if you were planning to join us.

Welcome
Not my kind of thing, but you are in the right place interacting with the right guys if you want to build a modified Frankenwing.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168635#p168635:3gogswfd said:
ih8boats » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:48 pm[/url]":3gogswfd]
Thanks guys for the warm welcome, Brian i see you are a member of both single carb and c5 schools of thought whats your opinion whether the power arc module will fit in stock gl100 points housing?if i could even get it that way. ih8boats--greg

As Slab pointed out above, the C5 is a complete unit, so when you buy it, everything comes with it. I didn't realize it, but there was a version out that did fit inside the 1000 ignition housing, but I don't think that model is available any more: you would need to check with Paul to find out.

Thanks for your insight slabghost, buying the whole package is of course the smart rout avoiding the "penny wise pound foolish" scenario for the c5 I guess I just needed some encouragement from those who have used the product. Also I understand there will be an interference issues with the larger intake valve diameter, higher lift and longer duration to the early cams. requiring different piston head relief machining but Im also pretty good with a grinder, so/so with a micrometer. but ill cross that bridge or ill fall off it. ---greg

I hope I don't come across as a smart #$% or a know it all right out of the gate but I have been quietly trying to pay attention and take notes, iv done a couple head gasket jobs so far and have learned much from you all, I use a mostly flat 3/4" thick glass table top with various grit large belt sander belts glued to it for surfacing the heads and double cross checking the block with a trusted straight edge and feeler gauges . Iv decided to pick up a local parts bike for the short block and take my time so not to have much cycle down time as the riding season here in south fl.is good as long as it aint raining. Id like to build an adapter for engine stand , iv only seen one on another forum .I would love to see examples of what every body else uses for a work stand.----greg

I never wasted much time or money on an engine stand. I use this:

image_22156.jpg

When the engine comes out of the bike, it's already on it so it makes a great engine stand also.

ih8boats;
Is that a 1500 front end on that 1200? :headscratch: Have known that they used the same steering head bearings, as well as fork seals, so front ends should swap, with no issues, for some time now. :yes: Never have measured the length of assembled forks, but it should not be much if any issue, if steering bearings fit the 1000's.Like the 1100's do, :nea: any should swap. :popcorn:

Denver i have yet to turn a wrench on an gl1500 so i cant say of the cross compatibility of forks or steering head bearings. I will tell you that the gl1800 clutch and brake master cylinders with the adjustable levers work great on my gl1200 handle bars and the gl1500 crappy chrome brake covers i custom fit on my stock gl1200. but thanks for noticing .

Fender set up appears to be from a 1500 somewhere along the line, :yes: was the main reason i asked. Was wondering if the 1500 fender will fit 1200 front end, after i saw your 1200. :headscratch:

man good question mine is a stock 1200 front fender with an aftermarket lower extension painted to match also if it looks bulkier it may be because its closer to radiator than what your used to seeing because iv slid the tubes up the tree to match my lowered rear end. so to answer your question im not sure but i know its got a plastic chrome horizontal trim that would definitely contact the radiator on mine.