• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking GL 1100 starter for sale reasonably priced.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevej's wing

Reaction score
Hi all am almost done with the 81 GL 110 restore, but had some bugs to work out.
1. I got a new solenoid on ebay (no directions on wiring) wired it in wrong burned up the silicon rectifier for the neutral light.
2. Now I am in need of a stater after the starter drive stuck on and burned up my good starter. Had to take engine back out and go over extra parts and clean up a good starter drive, man that is not a good design for the starter drive!
So any help in lookin for a good rebuildable starter would help.
Already looked in Ebay, not much there anymore. I think Ebay is becoming a place where people sell junk for high prices!!

Stevej's wing":1ry2672e said:
Hi all am almost done with the 81 GL 110 restore, but had some bugs to work out.
1. I got a new solenoid on ebay (no directions on wiring) wired it in wrong burned up the silicon rectifier for the neutral light.
2. Now I am in need of a stater after the starter drive stuck on and burned up my good starter. Had to take engine back out and go over extra parts and clean up a good starter drive, man that is not a good design for the starter drive!
So any help in lookin for a good rebuildable starter would help.
Already looked in Ebay, not much there anymore. I think Ebay is becoming a place where people sell junk for high prices!!

Whats a high price for a working starter?

Let's face it folks. Everything costs a lot more today than it did just a few years ago. $100 shipped or $85 plus shipping is pretty much equal priced as I see it. With what I've read about new starters though I'd be strongly tempted to buy a working used starter. Either way a working starter is much nicer than push starting all the time.

slabghost":xns29y8w said:
Let's face it folks. Everything costs a lot more today than it did just a few years ago. $100 shipped or $85 plus shipping is pretty much equal priced as I see it. With what I've read about new starters though I'd be strongly tempted to buy a working used starter. Either way a working starter is much nicer than push starting all the time.
I agree.

And what is "reasonably priced" anyway?

Take a look at what car parts cost these days and you'll be raising your idea of what a "fair" price is for new and used stuff for our bikes.

some of the lower priced china stater are junk ...used is much better to stay with and rebuild ...id say ..im sure the china starters ar chain killers and whats that cost or if you an get it

I'm amazed at what stuff costs these days.

05 suburban,
Rebuilt water pump. $185
New tailight, $265
My 06 van,
Rebuilt alternator, $175
Right mirror, $250
Rebuilt trans, $2500

Our bike parts are pretty cheap.

After what scdmarx got into with his starter ordeal, I think I would be looking at taking it to a professional shop and have it rebuilt if at all possible. Too much frustration involved in ordering starters.

That is why I like vintage stuff.
81 Goldwing, 75 Winnebago. I also had 73 1/2 ton Chevy pickup I just sold(wish I had not).
New water pump for Chevy pickup, $45, complete overhaul gasket kit for the valve job on the Winebago, $65. It was cheaper by 1 dollar to buy the complete set for the valve job, fel pro at that.
Just wish gas was not so expensive.
My daughters car is the newest car we have it is a 07 Ford Focus, and that car does not have a replacement air filter. You have to buy a complete new air filter box from Ford for $250.
I don't like late model vehicles!!! :fiddle:

Stevej's wing":26zg10ee said:
My daughters car is the newest car we have it is a 07 Ford Focus, and that car does not have a replacement air filter. You have to buy a complete new air filter box from Ford for $250.

It's a multi strata foam filter, with a flow restriction indicator.
It really doesn't get any better than that.

Is it showing restriction?

steveb123":1gruicg1 said:
Stevej's wing":1gruicg1 said:

It's a multi strata foam filter, with a flow restriction indicator.
It really doesn't get any better than that.

Is it showing restriction?

No it is not showing restriction, but that green and red button is not a good way to check air filter flow.
The big rigs I worked on for a long time had those also and we never trusted those restriction inticator's.
It has 70,000 miles on the car and an air filter should be changed by now, same with the coolant.
Who ever heard of a coolant that will last forever.
Coolant when it gets old will act as a corrosive on the cooling system rather than protecting the cooling system!

I've seen many 10-15 year old cars with factory belts and hoses still on them, and still in good shape and the coolant tested fine. It's hard to get ahold of a new concept when you've worked so hard all your life to gain knowledge and experience. I remember when belts and hoses had to be changed every 3-4 years, and usually the 4th year was borrowed time. Back then most spark plug wires were spent at 3 years. Who'da thunk a spark plug could be made to go 100,000 miles? (Mork from Ork predicted this, but nobody believed him)
Look what the simple telephone system has become. And now the audio system in your car is able to shake hands with your Dingleberry. GPS. Lowjack. OnStar can notify you. You can notify Onstar. Proximity key. George Jetson didn't even have parking assistance, or a back up camera. Just to start your Focus probably requires more passive events than the PC I'm typing this on.
But a red-green Go-NoGo flow meter on an air filter? BALK!!!!! What are they smoking?. :shock: