MAKING A TRIKE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a lot to report this time. Been working on the trike for a few hours most days and we have had 3 weeks of virtually no wind, so have been getting on with the painting. Most of the white top coat is now on so it is more or less safe for the winter.

photo 1 (1).JPG

photo 2.JPG

Axle stand there so I could change the brake back plate attachment bolts to stainless Allens, they are very visible so old blackened UNF bolts not really welcome.
Didn't want it to look all white from the back so given the axle a coat of gold bling. Looks nice to me. Painted a white undercoat to let it brighten the gold topcoat.

photo 3-002.JPG

This is all the parts of the prop shaft, the last job here was to weld in the bit of yoke with the splines in to the spacer/adaptor and then clean it up on the lathe. That's the bit in the lower right hand corner.

With the painting done I have finally got on to the engine and the belt change. Couple of biker mates called round to make sure I did it right. Thank you, Rob, Chris.

photo (2).JPG

Finished with 2 puzzles.

1. got a gap:

photo.JPG

I have probably done something wrong or missed something out.

2. Sorry, no pic yet but inside the tacho drive there is a tiny oil seal. Looks as if you can just pull on the driver and pull it and the oil seal out. Has anybody done it?

Transitman, When adding filler on your welds, Try this, After you apply the filler use a rag soaked in thinner wipe around the filler to give you that smooth look as the filler cures, Might take a little practice, But once you get the hang of it, It saves time and looks great!!! Also saves fingers while sanding....... Charlie

this is the tacho pic promised from last post:

photo 1.JPG

Oil seal looks well past its sell by date.

Now here's another problem, quite a serious one. Wingovations and David Silver both can't get them; the springs under the front brake pads

photo 3.JPG

I have only this rusty one. presume they are handed. Anybody knows where to get them, please shout!

As far as I know those springs are unobtanium. Most don't have even a rusty one to look at. Brakes will work fine without them.

Both of you yes. It would prevent rattling but pads rarely back off that much. It would be nice to have in there but not needed really to function. You can put a few drops of high temp silicone adhesive on the pads where they contact the caliper piston. That is pretty effective in reducing rattle.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162092#p162092:30i3yr1s said:
slabghost » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:51 am[/url]":30i3yr1s]
Both of you yes. It would prevent rattling but pads rarely back off that much. It would be nice to have in there but not needed really to function. You can put a few drops of high temp silicone adhesive on the pads where they contact the caliper piston. That is pretty effective in reducing rattle.
+1 :good:

Weather continues quiet and warmish, ideal for doing the trike.
Been picking on a number of jobs, giving me some thinking time for the big ones. Put the engine in, mainly to get the run of the exhaust system sorted.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Jacked up the front so I could replace the 3 missing exhaust studs and started off by running the can under the axle. Not too easy to see from the pics, sorry. Didn't like the look of it though, looks as if its dragging on the floor.

photo (2).JPG

So next step was to hang the can above the axle and see what that looked like, and it would mean running a shallow bend in the pipes, but that should make the pipes run like the frame tubing and I think would look really good.

Another job started was to paint the front calipers white. I want them gold but as they started out black and gold is fairly transparent, I thought painting them vht white would be a good start.

photo 1.JPG

Also got to grips with the rough old paint on the fuel tank.

photo 4.JPG

Stripping, wire brushing and sanding, lots to do yet. Final colour will be the same as the mudguards, probably light blue with loads of flake.