MAKING A TRIKE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again! Back at work. Been a long time off sick but that's what comes with getting older and it's better than the alternative.

photo (1).JPG

put the trike in take off position to get under with the rattle cans. Decided to get it protected in white as its the easiest to change. Once I started I quite liked it so will probably keep it white. All the bodywork and panels can be a different colour.

photo (6).JPG

After fitting new headstock bearings was able to get it outside again and for the first time take a pic of it from the side properly. I am pleased with the proportions so far.
Wingovations have just sold me a white front Comstar with matching discs in powder coating. Couldn't resist.

photo (6).JPG

looking good! More or less settles the frame colour really.

The unpainted tubing on the left side is the mudguard support/side guard/headlight carrier. Finished the one on the right side and just got this one tacked together. Next job to weld it properly, clean it up and paint it.
Then on to welding in the final shock mounts, painting the rest of the frame and suspension and putting the engine in so I can start to check on how everything else will fit together. Also started making cardboard cut outs of the battery carrier and under seat plate.

Hope I can keep it going from now on, reckon on about 18 months to finish. 3 years down all ready!
Not that the time matters, just enjoying travelling hopefully at the moment.

Good to see you back at it. Comstar wheel will match the rear wheels nicely. Looks like the basic framework is near complete now. Might want to test fit the motor soon to see if the left mud guard support needs a removable section like the main frame has. Build in the features you need to make maintenance as easy as you can. Great to have you back.

:clapping:

Hi Slabghost
access should be ok as both left and right mudguard supports are just bolted on.
As an aircraft maintenance engineer who was doomed to work in the hydraulic bay of the Gloster Javelin, I understand the importance of access!
The Jav had 3 hydraulic systems, each one stuffed on top of the last, all the joints done with locking wire, no room for hands, like trying to service razor wire.

see if I can get things up to date.

photo 2 (3).JPG

After posing for the outside photo, brought it back in and started fitting things. Idea here is to get as much on as possible to see if there are any no - no's, like 2 things trying to be in the same space.

photo 1 (3).JPG

Also started on making a battery box in the space the old fuel tank took, the new tank going on the back, one day. Will be using this car battery and in the spare spaces stuff as much electrics as won't go in the faux tank.

photo 1 (2).JPG

Trying things on and then finding they really need sorting so this is the radiator and fan cleaned up prior to painting. Couldn't get the fan off so rather than force it and risk a breakage I taped it up. The radiator core is covered in card cut to shape. Had a bit of a job straightening out all the crushed core spaces. Another job started is replacing the fork seals. If you are of a sensitive disposition, look away now.

photo 3 (2).JPG

I used a copper drift to get a section of the old seal away from the side and then popped it out with a long screwdriver. Fitted the seals ok but now waiting for the paint to dry on the fork legs and I also need to buy some fork oil so I can wet the tubes to fit them.
Then I should be able to rebuild the forks and fit the new comstar. Started to overhaul the front brakes too but messed up big time by shearing off a bleed nipple. Doom.

I have managed to get a few busted bleeders out with bolt extractors. Glad to see you've mended enough to get back to it.

Sorry to take so long, don't know about you, but for me, January to December is a particularly busy time.

One of the front calipers looks beyond repair, bleed nipple sheared off, piston seized in. Tried lots of heat but no luck, the stud removers just reamed the hole bigger, tried to drill it out too but still couldn't get it all out. Got a new old one from Wingovations, and then managed to sort out the old one properly. Having the new one meant I could really get to work on the seized one so now I have a, slightly battered, spare.

Getting back to the jobs in hand, got going again on the lathe to finish off the propshaft work.

photo 2 (1).JPG

this adaptor is for the gearbox output shaft to the propshaft.
on the side hidden by the chuck is a recess for the propshaft flange and the picture shows the centre hole being bored out to take an old universal joint yoke that has been machined to be a nice tight fit.

photo 3 (1).JPG

Still have some turning to do on the big lump then the freezer, torch and press will finish the job. Fingers crossed! When the yoke is pressed in I will either weld or grub screw (or both) to make sure it won't turn.

Needed to get to the back end again so hung the new wheel on to turn it round and obviously take a picture.

photo 1 (3).JPG

I do like that wheel. The seat is just sitting there. Taking a while to decide exactly where to put it.
Other stuff worked on include the radiator and fan cleaned up, got the exhaust pipe extensions made, show you next time. Started on the electrics, just labled all the leads from the bars so far, will drill the bars sometime too.

Had some good news on the paperwork front, the licensing authorities do not need me to submit the trike for its Single Vehicle Approval test, which is fantastic. The test is a real pain, takes hours, passing is tricky, costs a lot, the nearest test centre is over 40 miles away and the trike can't be ridden to it. Also have to have a weighbridge ticket to ensure it doesn't exceed 400kg
Seems there is an exemption for disabled users who make modifications to allow them to ride. One of my mods is going to be a jockey shifter and the nice man on the phone said ok, you don't have to do the test. Turning it into a trike also counts as a mod.
I will still have to put it through the annual vehicle test, but that is a doddle in comparison, and, I can ride the trike to the test station.

Also been tackling the handbrake, welding up the side bars, and making new brass exhaust nuts. Show you next time.

It is beginning to come together...

See if I can put up something of a summary

frame: almost finished, bit of bracing and the shock top mounts to do, then complete the white paint job

Electrics: started, labelled the handlebar lines, repaired the old harness where it was a bit dodgy in places but need to have everything assembled to finish. Will also run cables inside the bars. Battery box finished, only need to make a battery clamp and there will be plenty of room in the box for other electrical bits and pieces.

engine: belts arrived, water pump ready to fit, all gaskets, switches, oil seals ordered so these can be done easily on the bench. Took the engine out last week. Finally got the old neutral start switch out, with heat, new switch on order.

forks: finished apart from finding some new crush washers and filling with oil.

front brakes: almost ready to assemble, new second hand caliper from Wingovations and seals in the post, new pads arrived, new master cylinder fitted. Waiting for that chromed ring that seats the bolts, hoping Old Fogey will come up trumps with it.

back brakes: all parts purchased including wheel bearings, just waiting for a good time to get on with it

hand brake: all parts made, cables to be measured and made. This is the lever assembly:

jockey shifter: Just about finished as a mechanism, the 2 half bushes on the bench will go in the hole in the bottom of the arm so the nut won't tighten on the arm, the arm will get a handle at some time and a clutch lever and cable will also come in time. I have loosely assembled it on the engine so you can see how it works, I shall probably put a tension spring to the rear of the arm to take some of the weight.

photo 2 (2)-001.JPG

And yes, that is the starter painted white...
The camshafts are sitting loose, waiting for the new oil seals. I decided to remove them to check the timing before fitting the belts. Didn't want to hit the valves when turning the engine over, and I decided I ought to check that no 1 piston was at tdc with both valves closed and the timing pulleys looking ok for alignment. All seems ok so far.

photo (5).JPG

Then I started on the water pump. Bought the new one and gasket set, and spread everything out to see what goes where.
and this is where I have to pause for thought. Everything seems to have a home, the three alignment dowels are there, 2 on the engine, 1 on the cover.
The 2 gaskets are still in the bag out of shot.
The 2 dowels that sit in the pipelines I have tilted in their slots to make them stand out.
The 3 crush washers that go on the pump fixing bolts are there, the old ones sitting on the bolt holes and the new ones in the clear bag by the engine.
All the o rings and the oil seal on the board to the left top of the cover plate I have found homes for.
The 3 o rings and the alloy washer on the lower part of the board I have no homes for.
The new pump has 2 o rings resting on it; should it have a third one directly under the impeller?
And does anyone know the location of my homeless parts please?

Sounds like you have it pretty well under control. Not sure on the water pump questions I haven't done mine yet. Might want to put your shifter between springs so it stays between gears.